PDA

View Full Version : nice root

red5angel
04-01-2002, 02:17 PM
http://210.58.102.74:8080/ramgen/v696897.rm

Water Dragon
04-01-2002, 02:25 PM
Yeah, but could he do it if I made him put both feet on the ground? ;)

Water Dragon
04-01-2002, 02:56 PM
Am I the only one who caught that?

ewallace
04-01-2002, 03:07 PM
I noticed that too. I was also wondering what would happen if jovan kearse came at full speed with a good form-tackle if the result would be the same.

Sharky
04-01-2002, 03:11 PM
If the pusher stood on one leg too, it would be a different story.

Braden
04-01-2002, 03:13 PM
To my knowledge, 'rooting' isn't intended to be used as it's shown in popular demonstrations - that is, as resistance to being knocked over or taken down. Rather, it's a basic body mechanic for striking, yielding, and everything else. In some ways, it's a pity it's demonstrated like this, as people (both admirers and critics) get the wrong idea.

As for the one leg thing, everytime my structure has been tested, it has been through one leg.

Sharky
04-01-2002, 03:21 PM
"As for the one leg thing, everytime my structure has been tested, it has been through one leg."

What do you mean braden ? :confused: :confused:

Water Dragon
04-01-2002, 03:22 PM
That's not the point Braden. Everytime I root on a wrestler do it by shifting my weight into one leg. What i was pointing out was that it's impossible to uproot someone who is physically on one leg and hanging on you by pushing up against them. Note the direction of the push. I see the video as a *******ization of a valid and useful concept.

Braden
04-01-2002, 03:27 PM
WD - Ah, I wasn't sure exactly what your criticism was as it wasn't clear from your post. :) I didn't watch the vid in detail, as it's the same old thing. Your point seems valid though.

Sharky - By test I mean having force applied to you at different angles and positions that you are required to absorb (that is, not be moved by, but not springload or tense up to resist) through relaxation and subtle changes in proper posture. Every time I have done this, my connection to the ground has been through one leg entirely. Does this make sense?

Sharky
04-01-2002, 03:29 PM
yeah, cheers :)

red5angel
04-01-2002, 03:45 PM
Wow! Imagine that I put a video of someone who is willing to go out and show the skill they have attained after 30-40 years of practice in Tai chi, and I get a bunch of replies about how easy that is on one leg and yawn, how I have been doing that for years and how it is so not the way to do it. blah blah blah.
You fukkin guys have some videos of your miraculous skills? What this guy does is something that most people cant do, and most martial artist cant do. Go stand on one freakin leg all day, big whoop. Oooh you can sprawl or tackle and make that almost ineffective depending on if its in the street or the ring.
My god what was I thinking, I could practice hard like this guy for most of my life and get some real ability or, instead of wasting my time I could spend 3 years flopping all over the martial arts world from one art to the other until I find a weakness in each and then get on the internet and brag about how I am a wunderkind.
I am so freakin sick of all the nay sayers here, seems like everytime there is a video posted of some one, every 'martial expert' and I use the term lightly, gets on and has some criticism to say about it, you know what , they are doin it.
Yeah he is using one leg, why? Because like so many of you are quick to point out, its stable, and leaning into someone is stable, but being able to take that and turn it into something useful is the skill. This guy knows what he is doing and he does it everyday, has been for roughly 40 years.
I am so sick of hearing all the whining on this forum, its like Martial arts for beyotches here sometimes. Your clasical stuff stinks, your modern stuff is lazy, your art is old, your art isnt an art, mine is much better, I got into a fight the other day and guess what?! Big surprise I kicked someones azz because if I didnt I wouldnt be posting here for all you tough guys to see!!!! All I see are a lot of glass houses and a whole lot of rock throwing.

On a side note I apologize to any of you who have some real input, some intelligent things to say, and an open mind with which to express your opinions. The rest of you can fukk off.

Sharky
04-01-2002, 03:52 PM
Who pi.ssed in your coke?

red5angel
04-01-2002, 03:59 PM
sorry sharky, you werent included in my tirade, your normally pretty open minded about things.
I am just sick of hearing all the negative stuff on this forum, its like we have the monopoly on idiot azzholes here sometimes. there is so much disrespect. I have rarely, and I mean rarely, seen a video posted on this forum that hasnt come under fire by the majority of the people who bother to respond. Seems like we have a lot of supermen out there and I have yet to actually 'MEET' one. Apparently great martial skill translates directly to net surfing. Like most of these people, when they are spending copious amounts of time on the internet must be training, with time between for meals.

Sharky
04-01-2002, 04:11 PM
Ok to be fair, he was doing it two legged with the long queue of guys. He's really great ;)

:)

Braden
04-01-2002, 04:14 PM
red5angel - I'm not sure if any of that was directed at me, but if anything I said was taken as a criticism of this man's skill, I apologize, as that was most certainly not what I intended to convey. I was replying only to people who commented on the video; as to the video itself, I had and have no comments.

red5angel
04-01-2002, 04:15 PM
:) Thanks Sharky! ;)

Seriously though the guy is a Chen, Chen Style Tai Chi. Not a coincidence but the real thing. Its been his life. On top of that he is a nice guy. The video itself needs to be put into context for anyone to make a fair judgement on it. Its pretty impressive anyway, but he was doing a public demo for a local tv station in china. he could have done all kinds of fancy moves or other things taht would have wowed the crowd, he chose to show the basics.

red5angel
04-01-2002, 04:22 PM
Braden, no not at you. In any case maybe the comments made by everyone were meant to be 'nice', I am having one of those days where it seems like everyone has some sort of comment and everyone is an expert. I like throwing things out to this forum because after picking through all the crap I can usually get a reply or two worth the time to read. There are several people who make the time to answer honestly and with no malice, for the rest, sometimes I get irritated.

Does anyone here ever feel cheated by some of the things someone might say? for instance, I love Wing chun, I do it because I love, I bust my azz a couple of hours each day because I love it. It works for me, otherwise why bother getting up early in the morning, practicing during my lunch hour and going home to practice come more if I didnt think I wasnt getting anything out of it? Some of you guys bust your azz' doing classical arts, some of you bust your azz' doing mma, some of you just bust your jaws busting others azz'. For the latter two, and anyone else out there who is practicing hard, I ****e you, but man the rest of you guys really bust my ballz sometimes.

joedoe
04-01-2002, 04:32 PM
I only got the audio, no visual :(

Stacey
04-01-2002, 04:38 PM
Master Sun did a Demo and did that for us...we all pushed to no avail...he said it was just a "party trick" and told us that we could do the same thing...well I think he was wrong. Because I can't, some of the senior students did it too. Not on one foot, but the 20 people push thing. If you understand rooting its easy, I guess I don't, because I go flying.

Its especially amazing the way he can sink with the other guy pushing up.

I bash everybody I see...except Felip Bido's posture and the occasional genuine article like this gentlemen.

red5angel
04-01-2002, 04:39 PM
joedoe, try this link:
http://210.58.102.74:8080/ramgen/v696897.rm

Its Chen Xiao Weng doing some simple rooting demonstrations. In one he is just having a guy push on his stomach while he roots with one leg. the other is a line of 6-8 guys pushing on him while he roots with both legs.

red5angel
04-01-2002, 04:45 PM
Stacey, we all do it, some more then others. I am sure everyone has come to realize how I hate Emin "Bobo" Boztepe. Its the people who do it constantly. I find that like I said above, there are people who have intelligent things to say. Some of those things I may not agree with but that doesn't make them stupid, just different. But it seems like there are some hell bent on making sure everyone seems less then themselves.
My issue is mostly about respect. This guy I posted this link to, could probably have a serious chance against any of us on this forum, and yet there are so many willing to step forward and talk about all the things that a master or an expert may do wrong. In the mean time they are on the internet surfing instead of practicing. I think if I were that sort of person I would spend much more time practicing, to get that great skill, then shooting my mouth off about how no one else has it.
Actually Stacy you surprise me sometimes, I dont know who you are, and at first you seemed to be a troll but your MA knowledge seems pretty sound and fairly well thought out.

tri2bmt
04-01-2002, 04:47 PM
Amazing!
I've always thought those Chen tai chi guys were just pretending doing a lame kung fu and calling it tai chi.
The rooting that man demonstrated is something requiring great dedication to and perfection of the body, mind and philsophy of martial art.
Some people here are idiots, red5angel, your anger is justified IMHO. I would love to meet a tai chi practioner like that and test him.
As far as the one leg thing goes, I would think it would be harder to maintain. I think that's why he did it like that.
As for the people that say they root through only one leg with someone pushing or pulling them, you are demonstrating a very primitive version of rooting. If you are standing on both legs you should root through both. Of course to do that you must practice and have an understanding of the internal.

Kumkuat
04-01-2002, 04:56 PM
he shoulda done the demo where a guy is pushing him and he raises one leg, puts it down, and raises the other. Or he could done the one where he bounces the pusher away.

joedoe
04-01-2002, 05:01 PM
Cool.

African Tiger
04-01-2002, 05:14 PM
Not to mention, did any of you notice that the opponent was pushing in the "victim's" Tan tien at first?

Lets see any of you naysayers hold a stance while you can't breathe!

Water Dragon
04-01-2002, 07:14 PM
Red, what's up your azz? I made an observation: To maintain a solid root, you need to get all the weight on one leg. It's now a problem with you if someone makes an observation based on anatomical fact? Can I do what he did? no. Not with hands directly on my torso. No one ever made any type of analysis on the gentleman's skills. Again, we were speaking of an anatomical reality.

I feel that the video may be taken out of context. It's a common demonstration I've seen other high level people do. But there's always been an explanation given along with it. Perhaps we could DISCUSS those aspects instead of being busy trying to be offended all the time.