PDA

View Full Version : Old and New sessions in Lung Ying.

mantis108
03-10-2001, 10:47 PM
Kevin's post on this subject:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>By new and old sessions - the older Lung Ying sessions (pre Lam Yiu Kwai)are much longer, softer, and more complex with greater use of angular / spinning movements. The newer sessions (forms) are shorter with more concentration on learning specific principles and techniques - this was LYK's genius. The push is to teach the new, but remember the old - slightly different bows, principles, etc. Lung Ying Mor Kiew is newer session, Moi-Fah older session. I wish I understood this better, because this "root" is the key to unlocking the historical roots of LY. I believe Mantis108 calls this root "Sam Bo Tui" - I would love to discuss the roots of LY again- but not on this thread![/quote]

I don't want to rock the boat, just give some food for thought here. Interested parties should do their own research.

The Lum family was into martial arts. Lum Hing Yuen, sometimes known as Lum Yuen was the father of Lum Yui Kwai. Lo Hop, sometimes know as Lum Ah Hop, was Lum Yui Kwai's uncle. This two brothers took Kung Fu from a monk, whose name was Kwong Chun, when they were young. Later they learnt from Sifu Wong Lin Gill, who had an alias Hoi Fung
Yung (Si). As I was told Hoi Fung Si taught either a system or a form called "Sarm Bo Tyui". The Lum brothers as this point were middle age. Later they were introduced to Monk Tai Yuk at Law Fao Shan Wah Sau Toi temple. They learnt Lung Ying from him. This is where the Cheung Lai Chun learnt Lung Ying fits in. Sigung Cheung learnt Lung Ying from Lum Hop. This is as Kevin points out the Old Session. Sigung Lum Yui Kwai learnt a lot from his parent and uncle. But they die when Sigung Lum was still a teenager. He DID NOT complete Lung Ying at that stage. Until later he was demonstrating or picking herbs (different versions available here as well), he met Lung Ying practitioners near the Mount Law Fao region. He was INVITED to study further and COMPLETED the Old Session which are Lung Ying Mor Kiew.... Mui Fah (Fah Kuen Sui Ma).

Speculation only: He put the whole Lung Ying system together into what is now known as New Session. A lot of his personal expressions of the art are in there. I have seen written record of his oral teaching which is basically his thoughts and strategies. I wasn't aware of such a thing in existance until recently. How much of the STUFF are kept from public eyes? Who can really tell? That's not the point to discuss here. Just that the true is out there.

Lung Ying under Sigung is very systematic. Right from the "Walking" to even the order of learning of the forms. Sibak Lum Woon Kwong's lineage reflects that. Even the simplest foundation building moves hold lots of wonderful surprises. (get a hold of Sifu Ma Kwok Fai's VCD and you will see). It's truly an amazing style.

Again this is but a version( which can be found on the net). I find this is by far the best explained version.

Kevin may have more info. on it. Kevin?

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa

fiercest tiger
03-11-2001, 12:00 AM
where can someone buy this dragon vcd, from any china town??

nice post too! just hope you dont get trolls. :D

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

Kevin Barkman
03-12-2001, 12:51 AM
Hi Mantis - thanks for sharing your research and speculation! I hope more Dragoners will step forward and contribute/join in this spirit of sharing as well!

My own understanding is very limited. I have seen many of the "older" sessions performed, and they are far more beautiful and "softer" than some of the lower level, basic stuff. I think Lam Yiu Kwai modified many of the forms to create a more comprehensive, modern, and easier to learn system. Almost all of the higher level forms have both an older version which has been preserved, and the newer session, which is publically taught.

For example, Dok Se Neem Hey is old session, while Dok Se Toe Hey is new session. Say Moon Chai has an older and newer version. Say Moon Tiew Dah is older, Say Moon Bic Dah is newer.

I have seen several of the seven sections of Moi Fah Chut Low (both the Gwok Mei Tiew Mah and Fah Kuen Siu Mah) - and I know some are older session, but some parts are also newer. I have not been taught this set, and cannot comment further.

I personally have speculated that the "older session" would have its roots in whatever the older "Chu Ga" system looked like back then. Much of this information is probably very carefully hidden by the founders of the newer versions, so as to give their arts more credibility. Once again, just my thoughts.

A hint / key (free of charge!) to those who want to delve further into this subject would be to examine the symbolism of the Dragon forms, and techniques - ask your Sifu what are they called, why are they called that?

mantis108
03-12-2001, 02:18 AM
F.T. and Kevin,

Thanks guys.

F.T. ,

You properly can find a copy of the VCD in Chinatown. And I hear you on the trolls. Let's hope for the best.

Kevin,

Thanks for sharing and I would also echo on encouraging Dragoners to share as well. You are a luck man. The Mui Fah used to be regard as the secrets of master (same as the Ng Mah). Lately seems like there is a push to open the system up. It would seem Sifu Cheung is the one who is quite open in the teaching. I hear you on the forms as well. My only concern with the state of Lung Ying is that people, as they see the higher forms, discard Lung Ying as noting much to look at. The older masters used to warn of that. One do not get Lung Ying by watching Lung Ying. I felt that with Sifu Ma's VCD. There are lots of good stuff in there but so easy to miss.

On the two sessions, my understanding is this:

Old Session: Lung Ying system's origin which is also believed to be Nun Ng Mui's teaching or her influence. That would explain where the Fah Kuen Sui Mah concept came from. Also the Goat Capturing Stance thing. Sigung Lum's first encounter with the Fah Kuen Sui Mah prompted him to drop everything and complete Lung Ying at the temple.

New Session: Lum's family art,possiblely have Hakka influence in it, would be the base. Sigung's personal expression might be in it as well. It would seem that the novice level forms are largely examples of this base art. It is meant to prepare the students to a higher level of teaching in true Lung Ying (Old Session). In the old days, one have to formally Bai Si when he learnt upto Lung Ying Mor Kiew which mean he becomes a desciple at this point otherwise his is but a student. One thing of note is that Lung Ying even at novice level is very concious of multiple attacker senario. May be that came from Sigung's experience of teaching Kung Fu to military force. That would also make sense since anyone (military or civilian alike) are welcome to learn Lung Ying but to undertake Lung Ying's ideal (the complete person) and true teaching (the complete system)then becoming a desciple is the logical step.

Just a thought

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa