PDA

View Full Version : Sun Tzu's The Art Of War

scotty1
04-02-2002, 07:20 AM
Whos read it?
How much of it is relevant to Kung Fu or personal combat?

Ray Pina
04-02-2002, 07:22 AM
I've read it cover to cover a number of times, and still go back to study passages at least once a month -- more.

Great for martial arts. Awesome for chess. Superb for life.

yenhoi
04-02-2002, 07:39 AM
The only parts that are relevant are the parts that you understand and apply.

scotty1
04-02-2002, 07:48 AM
Bloody hell, that was quick.

Sho
04-02-2002, 07:48 AM
Yup, I've read it.

It has very accurate principles of strategy explained metaphorically. Some of it is very similar to Miyamoto Musashi's Book of Five Rings (Go Rin No Sho). It acts as a strategy guide conserning any part of life.

guohuen
04-02-2002, 07:49 AM
Should be required reading in school!

Chinwoo-er
04-02-2002, 07:52 AM
actaully, rumour has it that when western busniessmen goes to do busniess in China, they need to read the book of war and when they go to japan, they need to read the book of the five rings

Ray Pina
04-02-2002, 08:04 AM
My favorite line committed to memory:

"When torrential rains move boulders, it is because of MOMENTUM;

When the eagle breaks the back of its prey it is because of TIMING."

-- Sun Tzu

guohuen
04-02-2002, 08:08 AM
Ray, that would make an awesome sig.
Toney

Xebsball
04-02-2002, 08:25 AM
I really liked this one, and i found it easier to understand than 5 rings.

Like others said its good for kung fu, life, and everything else if you can reach its essence.

scotty1
04-02-2002, 08:44 AM
Cool. Theres a second hand bookshop close to me that gets copies occasionally. Think I'd better pick one up.
Thanks for the replies.

Sho
04-02-2002, 09:11 AM
I've seen a free online complete version of the Art of War.

Bolt
04-02-2002, 09:52 AM
Ok, so of all the "translations", which one is best? (Author)

Suntzu
04-02-2002, 10:00 AM
my absolute fav book… cant u tell… almost know it by heart… book of 5 rings , a lil' more complicated but still good reading… pick up the pocket addition, that's pretty good or just get it free online…

Ray Pina
04-02-2002, 11:22 AM
I have the one that's a black cover with a red sun sliced a bit.

It has a nice intro about Sun Tzu and commitary by other historic military men -- they all do though.

Sho
04-02-2002, 01:04 PM
Suntzu,

Guess that can be already predicted from your username. :D

Suntzu
04-02-2002, 02:49 PM
"Guess that can be already predicted from your username. "

something like that…

try to find a copy that also has quotes from other author… for instance, it will use suntzu translation and back it up with qoutes from Lao Tzu or tell a story pertaing to the quote… I forgot who translated mine but I'll let u know…

Sharky
04-02-2002, 06:27 PM
I've read it. I don't really know what to say. I'm the type to say **** when i've got nothing to say though. So, yeah.

Budokan
04-02-2002, 08:47 PM
Yes, I've read it and it's very thought provoking. A classic work.

Mr Punch
04-03-2002, 02:15 AM
Book of Five Rings is great. Anything anyone tells you about all Japanese businessmen having read it is horse. Most of the higher level ones have read the Hagakure though, I've heard. This is the samurai manual containing such sage advice as 'a warrior should always pick his teeth, whether he has eaten or not'. Quite potty. Dunno why people are saying Bo5R is difficult: try the English translation.

Art of War: read it. Keep it. Take it with you. Read it again.

Art of Leonardo da Vinci: much underrated combat manual. Great for those unscrutable smiles the masters always use when they're beating the **** out of you. And somewhat unlikely overhead attacks (though some people prefer TKD for this).

scotty1
04-03-2002, 02:38 AM
Sun Tzu was Japanses right, not Chinese?

If so, are there no equivalent works by Chinese generals?

Mr Punch
04-03-2002, 02:41 AM
Sun Tzu was Chinese.

wangsizhong
04-03-2002, 06:13 AM
i got my copy of the art of war (sun zi bing fa) from sonshi.com
apparently Son Shi is the japanese way to say sun zi (sun tzu)
this site hassome commentary, background, and daily thoughts
i don't know if its complete but i think it is. its a pretty short work any way you find it.
its ironic to see that the way bush is handling the whole afghan thing breaks like ALL of sun zi's rules
for example:
"when doing battle, seek a quick victory"
"no nation has ever benefited from protracted warfare"
"take equipment from home but take provisions from the enemy"
(i dont think that means airdrop supplies on the enemy...)

anyway, yeah, its good for MA too.
"provoke him to know his patterns of movement. Determine his position, to know the ground of death and of life. Probe him, to know where he is strong and where he is weak."

Wang Si Zhong

scotty1
04-03-2002, 06:58 AM
Where do you go in China?
Do you train over there?

Ray Pina
04-03-2002, 07:17 AM
Tuff to fight this war ala Sun Tzu, we can't determine or measure, the first necessity before going in.

Also, Know YOur Enemy and KNow YOurself.

We know our capabilities and put them to good use dropping NIntendo bombs from 30 thousand. Very few casualties, and that is a chieving Bush political goals. So far, I'd say we are doing a good job. I would have liked to see a bigger sweep of Afgan to find Bin Laden. We need Bin Laden. I was disapointed when I heard a few weeks ago that he was not the major objective. This, after they try to convince us all of Sept and OCt that he is the devil himself.

Just because we can't, doesn't mean the objective should shift. There are many, but getting him must be atop the list. Along rooting out domestic cells. Then foreign cells.

A lot too it, and I said it here a while ago, this is going to get messier before it gets better. Check Bethlahem right now. A mess.

Repulsive Monkey
04-03-2002, 08:58 AM
I think it would definitely have to be the Thomas Cleary translation of Sun Tzu's masterpeice for me.

Kristoffer
04-03-2002, 12:28 PM
I like both of them..

have nothing more to say

tsunami surfer
04-03-2002, 04:28 PM
I have both Art of War and Book of 5 Rings translated by Stephen Kaufman. They are interpretations without any commantary and are written from a purely martial point of veiw. Easy to read but a lot to think about and understand.