PDA

View Full Version : Sun Tzu defeats office politics

Ray Pina
04-02-2002, 07:35 AM
For those that heard my rant a few weeks ago thanks.

Problem relsolved. Tallied all the bylines since september in our magazine. I have a 7 to 1 ratio of bylines in my favor over this girl causing trouble for me.

Took this info to the top. I let my supervisors comments hit home and dessolve over the past two weeks and then countered with this info. Told him that perceptions were funny, it all depends on who is painting them and viewing them. Then showed the numbers, which can't be disputed. 7 to 1 is a lot. That's 14 articles to 2. Quite rediculous.

So now the guy up top has reason to be suspiscious. Why would my supervisor suggest such a perception, that she does more and is perhaps more deserving of my title/position/pay.

Then I spoke to the supervisor. He got a little defensive saying it was no big deal. THEN HE LET THE CAT OUT OF THE BAG, said he had been suspected of favoritism in the past.

No reaction by me, but that is filed away.

I hate office politics, but these guys picked to duel with the wrong man. I'm enjoying this now.

Peace
Ray

still working hard though. don't want to give fire any fuel.

fa_jing
04-02-2002, 01:15 PM
Nice, dude! Way to bide your time, good display of patience. You could have presented an immediate, rash response to the situation which probably would have served the purpose of your rival.

-FJ

Ray Pina
04-02-2002, 02:06 PM
I wanted them to forget about the whole thing. Let theire offensive comments take shape and then wither with time.

Makes my arguement, brought to the boss this time with facts, much more hard to dispell. Now there is another perception a foot. That perhaps this girl is bitter that I got the job she wanted, and perhaps this other gentleman is taking her side for other then professional reasons.

Found out this has happened before with him. He slipped that out when I presented my case to him. The advantage has been gained, now I'm going back to normal. Just wanted everyone to know, though I despise it, I can play the same political game as them -- only better. I have a strategic mind.

Thank God for the MA, and thank God for all of the support and advice that came from you guys.

Good has scored a victory over evil -- Da dada da

;) ;) ;)

Nexus
04-02-2002, 10:30 PM
You could have always pulled an "Edward Norton" or "Office Space". That did the trick in the movies!!!