PDA

View Full Version : Learning Wing Chun by Correspondance

Alpha Dog
04-02-2002, 07:48 AM
Is it possible for people to learn Wing Chun by watching videos, reading books and asking questions online? If so, this would be a great way to save time and money. Any ideas?

Ish
04-02-2002, 08:46 AM
IMHO It is possible to learn this way and althougn the price of a few books and videos may be less than what you would spend on going to classes you cerainly can't save time this way. I think it would take you a lot longer if its even possible to gain a high level of understanding and ability in wing chun without a good teacher.

Sharky
04-02-2002, 08:48 AM
Ok, what about.... if you had a PARTNER?

Think about that, baby.

yuanfen
04-02-2002, 09:01 AM
Understandably some folks dont have much of a choice. Think of living near Burbank South Dakota(Hey I knows dat place).
The key is whether a person is persistent enough and dedicated enough to meet from time to time for intense teaching and correction hands on bya good teacher... if they cant be in daily or weekly classes..

red5angel
04-02-2002, 09:46 AM
I think it is possible but you will have to spend some money on going to some seminars or private instruction atleast once a year! You need the iput of someone who has been there and done that and can help you with the little mistakes you may not be able to correct through a tape.

Peter Aarts
04-02-2002, 10:32 AM
Did you...?

Chris99
04-02-2002, 11:18 AM
Why would someone choose a book over a teacher? They must not have a very strong relationship with their teacher. Wing Chun is a sensitivity based art and therefore one must have the guidance of a teacher...Wing Chun is empty without sensitivity.

Regards,
Chris

azwingchun
04-02-2002, 11:51 AM
This isn't to knock anything anyone has said here. It seems that the few who have commented on this topic seem to think one could learn this way. Though my question to all of you is, how good would this individual become? The next question I have is, with all the trolling and flaming about who has real Wing Chun and lineage, would he/she be accepted as a good teacher once he began teaching the art? I personally am not so torn, nor do I judge Wing Chun people by thier lineage or there lack of, though many do. What is everyone's feelings about this?
I will say that if someone wants to learn an art which isn't taught in there neck of the woods books and videos would probably be the next best thing. Though, I must add sometimes learning an art is hard enough when you have a qualified teacher standing in front of you, leading the way step by step. What I mean by this is, try remembering back when you first began training and you were shown something and thought he had it down. Then in the following class found that you weren't doing it right. I feel that people who train by books and videos are actually going to miss some of those finer points which are not easily seen. Does this make sense? Though I also believe that they will get the main idea and concepts of the art, I say this from experience with a student I once had. When I first met him he had told me that he had studied Wing Chun for about 3 or 4 years. He later came to train with me and I found out through speaking with him where his training came from. I was kinda shocked since his Wing Chun was descent though missing some of the "finer" points or some of the less obvious ideas.
Again this is just my opinion, and am not knocking anyone, for I am just a student and always will be.;)

IronFist
04-02-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Alpha Dog
Is it possible for people to learn Wing Chun by watching videos, reading books and asking questions online? If so, this would be a great way to save time and money. Any ideas?

Hell yeah! (I hope)

The thing is, you really need a variety of videos that cover the same thing. See, there's a big conspiracy by Wing Chun sifus who put out videos that works like this: Each person who puts out a video will give only some specifics of a technique or movement. So, in order to learn everything you must buy many different videos on the same thing. It's part of a movement to get the consumers to spend more money and therefore boost the economy.

The best advice I could give you though would be to find a partner who is also interested in WC. That way you will have someone to practice things like chi sao with. Otherwise you'll be doing SLT all day alone in your dorm room :D

IronFist

edward
04-02-2002, 01:36 PM
its impossible to learn by book or video.... only once you know the art can you use this as a reference

Chris99
04-02-2002, 01:37 PM
Hi Ironfist,
Where are you located?

Regards,
Chris

Sharky
04-02-2002, 02:03 PM
Ironfist mate, i'm sorry, you just can't do it.

IronFist
04-02-2002, 04:41 PM
If old monks can learn from drawings, I can learn from videos, notes, and you guys :)

What about the guy who invented Wing Chun? He learned from nothing.

IronFist

yuanfen
04-02-2002, 04:44 PM
No iron fist. Wing chun founders stood on the shoulders of other giants in the evolution of TCMA.

Alpha Dog
04-02-2002, 04:59 PM
u sure u can trust people you meet online?

i got a car for sale if you're interested!!

red_fists
04-02-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
If old monks can learn from drawings, I can learn from videos, notes, and you guys :)

What about the guy who invented Wing Chun? He learned from nothing.

IronFist

Yeah sure, the same way that some Masters had Dreams about animals fighting and whammy they had a new style.

yenhoi
04-02-2002, 05:46 PM
Ironfist:

Please find a teacher. :D

It really doesnt have to be Wing Chun. :D

And 'the guy who invented wing chun' was a comittee of Kung Fu experts. Probably. :rolleyes:

IronFist
04-02-2002, 06:27 PM
It really doesnt have to be Wing Chun.

Oi. Please see my analogy before about guitar playing styles :)

There are lots of shotokan and tkd teachers here at my uni... hmm.... :mad:

Duh.

IronFist

IronFist
04-02-2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Alpha Dog
u sure u can trust people you meet online?

Nope. But I have a pretty good idea of who I can trust for advice here.

But common sense also comes into play. If someone tells me eating my own **** will make me better at wing chun, I would pass on that advice.

IronFist

Wingman
04-02-2002, 08:01 PM
"Learn from the masters. He who teaches himself has a fool for a teacher."

I don't think you can learn wing chun from books or videos. Sure, you can follow the drills and the forms. But what about chi sao? You need a good teacher to make you understand chi sao.

S.Teebas
04-02-2002, 08:43 PM
Ill tell you that it's a FACT that the WC masters you see on tapes are not doing it exactly the way it is ment to be done! (they change subtle things so guys who buy videos of their systems cant learn it from spending $40)

Yes, it is still very close. But they take out key things, and bring your attention to things that are not really the core of the system.

Think about, if you had the knowledge these guys have would you put it all on tape and sell it for virtually nothing???!!?!!

IronFist
04-02-2002, 08:46 PM
Ill tell you that it's a FACT that the WC masters you see on tapes are not doing it exactly the way it is ment to be done! (they change subtle things so guys who buy videos of their systems cant learn it from spending $40)

I can appreciate that. I wouldn't want my system to get out to anyone who just bought a tape, either.

Yes, it is still very close. But they take out key things, and bring your attention to things that are not really the core of the system.

Same comment as I said above.

That's why you gotta check a million sources and then you're bound you come across the correct aspects somewhere in the mix.

IronFist

red_fists
04-02-2002, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
That's why you gotta check a million sources and then you're bound you come across the correct aspects somewhere in the mix.

2 Questions:

How will you know what to look for??

Once you found it, how will you integrate it into your practice??

Just something to ponder.

IronFist
04-02-2002, 10:17 PM
2 Questions:

How will you what to look for??

Hmmm. Beats me :) Some things just stick out and make sense, you know?

Once you found it, how will you integrate it into your practice??

The same way you integrate anything new you learn into your practice. You either start doing it, or you make the necessary changes/adjustments.

:)

IronFist

S.Teebas
04-02-2002, 10:19 PM
Firstly, redfists raises some good points!

And this....I totally disagree with! I pretty much guarantee you wont find anything substancial on the forms above SLT (in book and videos). Even SLT itself! The things ive heard over and over again:
SLT has all the techniques!
CK teackes you to fight with it and BJ is emergency techniques!~!!

Half true, half false... why? because its a snippet of information! Its noting of substance. Real teaching gives you so much to think about you can practice for hours on ur own and still realise you are miles away from the real thing.

Ok, this is such a clichea, but the longer you learn the more you realise you know nothing! And NO WAY could you discover the things a teacher NEEDs to help you understand, on your own.

Ironfist you said earlier if the creater of WC thought of it...well so can you.... (this is disputable due to the many versions of WC history i admit) but i have heard the creator of WC knew and was well versed in the external styles, and saw their limitations. Thus creating the style we practice today.... A synthesis of the other systems! The founder had a VERY strong base upoin which they founded WC.

I find myself in class discussing with others how much of a martial genious the person (or people) were, who created the system. Its ideas are very advanced, yet simple and multi dimensional. The effictiveness that WC has used simple movements to neturalise very complex ones; and its ability to use the same movements for multiple applications... its mind bogling! (well it is to me! :) )

Make ur choice if you choose to study from videos, but be in for disapointment if you consider youself in the same boat as those who have masters. Theres no way you will reach a high level of WC this way.

black and blue
04-03-2002, 01:32 AM
It took me two years of wanting to study WC before I was in a position to take lessons. Sometimes you just have to wait until the time is right, fella.

I train with my instructor three times a week, have two private lessons a month and meet and train with friends once a week. Even with all of this 'hands-on' guidiance I find myself making mistakes, developing bad habits.

Without an instructor!!! I dread to think what I'd be like!! In short, you cannot learn a system from a book or video. Great additional tools, but that's it.

Duncan

Mr Punch
04-03-2002, 03:18 AM
Alpha Dog: was this aimed at Ironfist or a genuine question?:)

Anyway Ironfist: Stick at it. Of course it's no substitute for a 'real' teacher, but I think there are many people on this board who would argue that so many other people aren't 'real' teachers anyway! If you are confident that you know your own body, or at least have a good grounding in body mechanics, go for it. Try it out when you spar with your tkd friend (I think your chi sau is gonna be mostly useless though!). Sure, it won't be 'real' wing chun, but remember to enjoy it! If you have the enthusiasm for the style, you should do well, and it should serve you well.

Of course, go to seminars as often as you can... save some of the money you spend on vids and books (there are no definitive ones and you probably have enough to be going along with) and go anywhere there are other wcers. One hour's drive isn't THAT bad sometimes... one of my sihing used to travel from Switzerland to Germany once every month or so (yeah yeah, I know they share a border, but it was a good couple of hours' drive, ok!?;) )

When you finally join a school though, it'll be a real test of your patience: you'll make a ****load of suddenly obvious mistakes, and have some really poor stances and actions, and you'll have to do loads of boring repition of things that you'll have done countless times already... But everybody does!!!:D

stuartm
04-03-2002, 03:32 AM
I have to agree with ed and sharky - learning by videotape is a waste of your time and money. I lend my students plenty of videos and books because they are an invaluable supplement to training with a teacher.

How much faith would you have in a teacher who learnt from books and videos??

Save your money, spend a little xtra even, and get private tuition.

Regards, Stuart