PDA

View Full Version : Cultivating Warrior Spirit...

Merryprankster
04-02-2002, 03:06 PM
I laugh every time I see the phrase "warrior spirit."

I'll settle for being an adult who takes responsibility for his actions, and accepts the consequences of the things he says and does.

The idea that MA runs around cultivating warrior spirit may be the silliest thing I've ever heard.

Paul
04-02-2002, 03:14 PM
that's good for I feel you may find your arrogance tarnished by the warrior spirit.

red5angel
04-02-2002, 03:14 PM
MP - What is it you see as the warrior spirit, or what you think they are talking about?

Merryprankster
04-02-2002, 03:19 PM
The idea that somehow, MA practice will transform you into a centered, zenlike "warrior," who lives life with a mystic stoicism born of your "understanding."

Paul--thanks for the insight :)

Water Dragon
04-02-2002, 03:25 PM
MP, consistent azz kicking's will do a lot to adjust your attitude.

red5angel
04-02-2002, 03:29 PM
Well, I think that is a matter of personality. Martial Arts, if studied properly can give you some of that. It can inpart upon you some level of responsibility, and a modicum of discipline.
As for understanding, I do understand the Martial Arts better, but I dont think it has imparted any sort of secret to life. I have learned that it can be fleeting and fragile. I have also learned that with the right skillset I can surmount that fragility.
For me, warrior spirit is just that, the willingness to participate in a martial confrontation, without much thought for your own sense of self. Also the ability to confront life in a similar way, bypassing your ego and breaking on through.
As for zenlike wisdom, well that sounds more like religious philosophy. I think martial arts can give you some deep insight into your self. You can gain some insight into others as well.
When I went through bootcamp in the marine corp, a certain sort of Warrior Spirit was instilled in me. I knew that part of my job was to face death if I have to to accomplish my goals. It made me realize that life can be a precarious thing, and we dont know what lies on the other side of each door we open or each corner we turn.
Other then that the universe is still a mystery to me!

David Jamieson
04-02-2002, 03:31 PM
what exactly do you interpret "warrior spirit" as?

Personally I think that ma practice does cultivate this in a person.
To me it's a mindset that we can call on when presented with a difficult situation that will involve us taking responsibility for our actions whatever they may be.

I believe it has little to do with chest puffing and more to do with mental attitude change that occurs with continuous practice of a disciplinary path. namely martial arts.

peace

KC Elbows
04-02-2002, 03:33 PM
To hell with that! I've been working on my warrior spirit for years, and I won't quit until I can choke people with just my mind!

Mutant
04-02-2002, 03:41 PM
So you this mean this Warrior Spirit thing entails living a life of zero consequences and debaucherous hedonism? Cool, sign me up!

When you laugh at Warrior Spirit, is it a good hearty laugh or a sinster cackling laugh? *just trying to get a mental picture of your semantic ridicule*

Can Pranster Spirit destoy Warrior Spirit?

If so, maybe I should change my name to MutantPrankster... :)

nospam
04-02-2002, 03:41 PM
That which is not understood is often misunderstood.

Warrior spirit. Merryprankster, that is a descriptive to help conceptualise a frame of mind..well, a frame of momentary mind, if you will. Warrior spirit is not 24/7.

When we need to succeed, whether it is in the kwoon sparring with a senior student and accepting nothing but your utmost effort, or stepping up and facing a Fear or defending ourselves, either physically, emotionally or verbally, the Warrior spirit is summoned.

It has noting to do with thinking your tough or going around with an inflated ego or not being responsible. It is a state of mind that one develops and uses to their advantage when needed. If I am fighting you, my warrior spirit will help me in remaining emotionless and concentrated to the task at hand. I do not want to kick your a@@ or put on a show for someone else. It is about getting the job done once committed. I will action to take you out of commission as quickly as possible.

Many MAs grapple with the warrior spirit as they progress in their training. They become energized, hold less fear, aggression level increases, and they generally become more carefree, usually at the expense of others. This is a factor of personal development.

When I was much younger, I did not have the mental edge I thought I needed when competing in full-contact matches. I used to try to pump myself up emotionally, thinking that I needed that extra motivation to really mix it up. I was too young and inexperienced to understand that what I was doing wasn't helping me, it was holding me back and making me careless. I would train physically, but not mentally, then try to instantly raise the mental aspect to match the physical. Well, more times than not, my physical ability would suffer, as it became hindered due to a surge of what I thought was 'warrior spirit' or the fighters mentality.

Cultivating a warrior spirit is something I am a firm believer in. And as an instructor, it is something I am always cognizant of during my student's progression. It is what binds our gung fu into an effective fighting system.

nospam.
:cool:

joedoe
04-02-2002, 04:47 PM
Like almost everyone else has said, it depends on how warrior spirit is defined.

I believe it not only entails the ferocity required to go into battle, but also a certain level of honour and nobility.

I don't think that is a bad thing to strive for.

yenhoi
04-02-2002, 05:37 PM
I think I agree with you Merry.

Warrior spirit to me is simply the willingness to do battle.

You might be afraid, he might have a weapon, other people may be in danger.

Or, you might be hired to attack and kill other people.

Warriors are everywhere.

I dont think the 'Warrior Spirit' is bound to completing a task, or protecting the weak, or any other such hogwash - it doesnt necessarily come with having martial skill, or being disciplined. Because I am ready to do battle with you, or you, for whatever reason, I have Warrior spirit.

So perhaps it is just 'being an adult who accepts responsibility for his actions' or something like that - the acceptance of mortality and combat.

red_fists
04-02-2002, 05:52 PM
Here is my take.

For me "Warrior Spirit" is not about fighting or being ready to kill or be killed.

But rather a mindset of:
Trying to do your best in all situations.
Do what needs to be done.
Deal with all situations in an appropriate manner and fashion.
Be humble and thoughtful of other Peoples desires and intentions.
Try not to cause harm or injuries unless unavoidable.
Building a skill base (physical & mental) that allows you to achieve the above goals.

This counts for both confrontations and everyday situations.

For me a person that is ready to fight is a Fighter not a Warrior, those 2 terms are often confused in many western minds.

I often found that many Westerners are obsessed with the Fighter's or Mercenary mindset.

Strangely enough some of the most violent Countries/Times have produced the best Warriors and not the best Fighters.
Just my take on it.

rogue
04-02-2002, 07:32 PM
Just great! I'm having a hard enough time being a good dad and husband, and now I have to cultivate my Warrior Spirit (is that trademarked?)? That just f#(#($*@!##$ing great.

Darn you Merry and the horse you rode in on! :mad:

Ryu
04-02-2002, 08:07 PM
Hey there, MerryP,
Well to be honest I think it's really a matter of semantics. People can put different meanings on something that may or may not be what they actually mean. (Remember our discussion on Moral relativism and nillistic existentialism? :) )
People put different meanings to different things. An adult who does his best in everything, and takes full responsibility for his actions is to some a "warrior spirit" and something MA says it can develop in people. Regardless if it can or not, the point is that "warrior spirit" can mean a lot of things. Do you think Frank Shamrock has "warrior spirit?" ;) I think so. But he may describe it differently.

As far as a stoic zen-like monk ala David Carradine... no I don't think that is warrior spirit, nor do I think that is at all realistic (and could be a tad "d0rky" ) You don't have to be a comic book character. That is silly, I agree.
But me for instance, I have always dealt with inner doubts, etc. and through hard core training, appreciation of MA, winning and losing, pushing myself beyond what I thought I could do, etc. I tend now not to take things for granted. I understand for instance how important health is which is why I don't smoke, take drugs, get drunk, etc. True that was kind of with me from the beginning, but I think my training made me appreciate the finer things in life more. Hard work, loyalty, devotion, friendship, etc.
That to me is somewhat a "warrior spirit".
People probably consider you to have a "warrior spirit". The crap starts happening when people want to talk like Bruce Lee, etc.

:)

Ryu

Mr Punch
04-03-2002, 02:29 AM
'Spirit'!? 'Spirit'?! :mad: Goddam American instructors with their daffy pronunciation... so now I know... still, woe betide any street mofo who gets a gobba off me!

I was taught 'Warrior Spit'(TM) should be like water; sometimes it crashes like a wave, sometimes it just froths at the corner of my mouth... but nobody messes with me! Gaaaaahr!!!:mad: :mad: :p

Mr Punch
04-03-2002, 02:39 AM
(wipes mouth) I know this sounds obvious but I think learning is the most important thing about any notion of warrior spirit. You can go on about this spirit and that spirit, but I never actually believed I could learn **** from an American before I joined my current school... now I KNOW I can learn **** from Americans!!!:D

I think the warrior spirit is learning when to kick ass and when to back off; and remembering that you can learn from any situation (as WD says ;) ).

Unfortunately, I take 'learn and forget' too literally... now where did I put my pants?... and who are all these people?:( :eek: :confused:

scotty1
04-03-2002, 03:38 AM
LOL at Mat. This guy is entertaining!:)

Warrior Spirit, hmmmm - not being afraid to stand up for your principles, and your values and defend them when need be.

Obviously 'principles' and 'values' can be substituted for 'house' and 'wallet'.

Ray Pina
04-03-2002, 07:57 AM
I think a warrior spirit is very important, and would go evcen firther to say it is the one thing that can't be tought.

Its not some zen like mumbo jumbo, to me, its what seperates the guys that love to step up and trade hands, and those that love to instruct during class and talk theory all the live long day.

Its what can makes someone who has studied for 5 years beat the crap out of a 10 year practitioner. That inner fire.

It will sound arrogant, but I can tell right away when meeting someone if they shou;d be given a wide birth, or if they pose zero challenge. In this regard size does not matter.

I knew total panzies who started taking roids to boost their ego. Well, now they are big panzies. They still have that insecurity, that lack of fire inside. Then there are guys 120lbs soking wet who will come at you with a shank.

This is what I mean by warrior spirit. Contact -- destroy!

shaolinboxer
04-03-2002, 08:01 AM
Zen has no mumbo jumbo, and the zen mind leads to the ability to conquer opponents.

The warrior spirit is knowing, in the face of danger, doubt, and anger, what to do and being able to do it.

guohuen
04-03-2002, 08:02 AM
The ability to pound on short women and small men. The ability to comb your brylcreemed hair in the perfect DA. The ability to backhand your stepchildren with your eyes closed. The ability to torpedo a falstaff. Keeping your galaxy 500 on the road. Occasionally feeding your chained mongrel dog without getting bitten. Turning a blind eye to being cuckold by your "girlfriend". Knowing the words to every tim mcgraw and chris isaaks song by heart. Having a harley davidson decal on your rear window when you don't own one or have never ridden one. Thinking that maddona is sexy. Wearing too much aftershave.
These are the attributes of the true warrior spirit.:rolleyes:

Merryprankster
04-03-2002, 08:17 AM
This has actually turned into a good thread :)

And LOL at the funny bits!

Yenhoi--I think you and I have similar feelings on this.

I just think its kind of silly to be "cultivating warrior spirit," when, as rogue points out, there's all this other stuff that we need to be, and SHOULD be good at.

As for the Prankster Spirit, no. The Warrior Spirit defeats Prankster Spirit at all times. :) See Loki vs. other Norse deities for details. You're much better off being a mutant warrior.

H2O-- :( I really hope you don't think that my attitude must change through repeated ass beatings. Your opinion actually matters enough to me, to get me to examine the things I do/say. Given that I'm a bit tired today, I'd hate to have to do any soul searching....

Interestingly enough I think we'll probably all find we're more or less talking about the same thing:

Doing what needs to be done, when you have to do it.

Ray Pina
04-03-2002, 08:26 AM
Zen is only a distinction made by those still seeking something.

Everthing is what it is. I win today, stab my hand yesterday, write a silly post now. It is what is happening. That is ...

Everything esle mumbo jumbo.

Ryu
04-03-2002, 11:06 AM
If everyone just focused on the present, no one would learn from mistakes, past histories, prepare for the future, etc.

I'm not a big advocate of zen myself, but the ability to actually think philosophically about issues is a skill world leaders need, military forces, police, teachers, doctors, counsellors, psychiatrists etc.
All the "mumbo jumbo" can save lives if used properly. There's no seperation of philosophy and the human mind. THAT is mumbo jumbo. :)

Ryu

red5angel
04-03-2002, 11:21 AM
MP - I dont personally think that cultivating the 'warrior spirit' is something you have to actively do so much as just try to live that way all the time, in all things. Sort of like the underlying philosohy to the rest of your life.
Again this deals with how you define Warrior Spirit.

Merryprankster
04-03-2002, 11:26 AM
I guess, at it's core, I just think it's kind of a silly buzzword, that conjures up awfully cheesy hollywood stereotypes.

Better to call it something else, if only to keep up appearances :)

Ryu
04-03-2002, 11:28 AM
How bout.........The Force!!!!! :eek:

(haha, Red's gonna kill me I can just tell...)

Ryu