PDA

View Full Version : Mental training

red5angel
04-02-2002, 03:57 PM
How do you train yourself mentally? How do you prepare yourself for fighting, on the street and in the ring?

David Jamieson
04-02-2002, 04:00 PM
brain ups

peace

Shooter
04-02-2002, 04:39 PM
Tai Chi....

Tigerstyle
04-02-2002, 04:43 PM
LOL @ Kung Lek!

That was good!

joedoe
04-02-2002, 04:45 PM
I don't prepare - that is why in fights I usually thrash my arms around and scream like a girl :D

prana
04-02-2002, 05:16 PM
yea joedoe, scares the livin daylights outta me sometimes.

yenhoi
04-02-2002, 05:22 PM
Meditation before and after workout/training.

Visualization.

Shadowboxing.

SLT.

red5angel
04-03-2002, 08:14 AM
LOL joedoe! What style is that again?!

Yenhoi, what do you visualize?

Budokan
04-03-2002, 08:40 AM
ABandit, is that an effective fighting style for you?:D

"Brain ups" was good too. Kudos to Kung Lek.

I have harped on this subject more than my desire to plunger-rape Rolls and then gift wrap him to the local NAMBLA convention. Mental prep is without a doubt at least as important (and I'd argue more) as physical prep. An easy exercise is to review mentally your forms, techniques, whatever as you lay in bed preparing to sleep. I've found that this mental review not only deepens your understanding of said techniques but enables you to perform them more flawlessly the next day.

You can't do well what you don't understand. A mental review of what you learned that day, and what you have learned over the past months and years, is a good way to solidify in your mind the necessary understanding of your martial arts techniques.

Give it a try. It has the added benefit of being easy to do, too.

MightyB
04-03-2002, 08:45 AM
In addition to the usual drills, sparring, and strength training and conditioning, I find that running distances that are longer than I'm used to really helps to toughen me up mentally. I know that you shouldn't distance run as your primary cardio conditioning training because it promotes development in your slow twitch muscle groups, but it is useful to run for distance a couple of times a week.

I mean, if you're used to a 2 mile interval run for your primary road work, run for 5 to 8 miles one day. It gets you to a point where you want to quit and walk and when you get to that point, don't quit, just run through it. Your body can handle it, but your mind wants to quit, don't let your mind quit.

It relates to fighting because then you know that you're capable of more than what you think.

The best way to prepare though, is to get used to whatever you intend to do so that you aren't shocked when it happens. If you want to fight full-contact, sparr full-contact once in a while against different sized opponents.

scotty1
04-03-2002, 08:53 AM
I agree 100% with Mighty B about the psychological aspects of running. Its like breaking down your own barriers.

David Jamieson
04-03-2002, 08:59 AM
ok ok, brain ups is a lark, don't try them at home :D

Mental toughness can be developed using a few methods.
Keep in mind that "will" and "intent" are key in this area.
Facing fears is part of it also, but a safe learning environment is important at the onset.

the will- set a goal and surpass it. example- work the heavy bag for a set goal of time or strikes, when you reach that goal, go beyond it. when you have any goal in your training, surpass it at all opportunities, if you cannot, try again. This will strengthen your will to a degree.

Intent - do everything with intent, even the small things. Use the will to drive the intent.

mental toughness oftentimes defines ones character. People with mental toughness are the same people that you keep in your mind as someone who can get the job done and have good character while doing it.

Remeber that for yin, there is yang and will and intent can be defined in the actions of wrongdoers as well.

peace

Mr.Sleazy
04-08-2002, 03:21 PM
Me I just do brain stretches - pull on my ears. Brain-ups are too hard my brain won't fit around the pullup bar.

OK seriously I cant talk too much about mental training in MA because I am a beginner, but for many years I have been a serious rock climber and let me tell you, mental training and experience is SO much more important than physical training in stressful/life threatening situations.

Rock climbing can be very dangerous and scary sometimes. I am not a death defier, but situations do come up where you have to pull off difficult moves under the threat of serious injury and death. Not real common, but they do happen. It is essential to stay calm in these situations and deal rationally with your environment. The key is not to eliminate fear (I think this cannot be done), but to be able to deal with fear so it does not inhibit your performance. When beginner climbers get too afraid, they lock up, overcompensate, try too hard, and often fall off.

The same is true of a confrontation. Fear can lock you up and prevent straight thinking. I think the best mental training would involve putting yourself in stressful situations that are generally within control, only slightly out of your comfort zone. Go rock climbing! Or, enter a MA competition. I think competition would give you valuable training for a real confrontation, experience performing under pressure.

Leimeng
04-09-2002, 01:13 AM
~One technique that has helped me in the past is talking to walls. It has the side benefit of preparing for IRS audits and talking with inlaws. :)
~But seriously, I think the focused practice of your given marital art with mental intent behind the physical move helps out a lot. By that I mean, when you are punching a bag or in a form in the air, think of actually punching through a person. Not aiming at their chest, aiming at their spine on the other side of their chest. What you think of when you train and how you train is what will come out in a real fight. Most people cant make their trained technique work because they do not have the intent behind it. If you are in a real slow training day just picture some thug trying to rape your mother. That should help get your focus and energy right real quick. :eek:

Peace,

Sin Loi

yi beng, kan xue

grogan
04-09-2002, 04:00 AM
Excelent posts guys, any more advice will be greatfully lapped up by me.

shaolinboxer
04-09-2002, 06:19 AM
I think learning to relax is key. If your mind can flow, so can your body.

Mr Punch
04-09-2002, 06:36 AM
Talking to yourself helps. Especially walking down the street. Or into a mirror. So what the **** are you looking at?!:mad:

Of course, there are those who opt for drinking a bottle of cheap scotch to prepare for a fight.

I think Kung Lek has supped from the right brown paper bag though, and Budokan's reviewing idea is frothing right down the enemy's chin.