PDA

View Full Version : Question about your style

IronFist
04-02-2002, 06:30 PM
If it's the person and not the art, why does it matter what art you study? Hey let's all go sign up for TKD.

IronFist

joedoe
04-02-2002, 06:41 PM
Because not everyone likes TKD :)

Mutant
04-02-2002, 07:17 PM
Good post. I think it addresses and interesting point and something that hasnt really been expanded on lately.

It's both the person and the art that make the martial artist.

Talented and dedicated person + bad style = poor martial artist.

Loser + wasted training opportunity in good style = poor martial artist.

Either situation above, the guy or gal gets a can -o- whoop@ss coming to them when the going gets rough.

A naturally good fighter (even with no or poor training) could probably beat the cr@p out of them.

A naturally athletic and dedicated person training in any valid art will probably make a decent fighter (who still will be limited if its not a particularly refined art with excellent training methods)

A naturally athletic and dedicated person training in an excellent art with great instruction and training.....and things get really interesting with a lot of potential and make a very formidable fighter.

I too have said 'person not the art' before, but meant something more like the scenereo described above.

Some arts definately have a lot more depth and technology to offer than others. I'm not gonna get into style promoting or bashing here, this could be an interesting thread and I don't want to hijack it....I'll leave that for the trolls to fight over.

KC Elbows
04-02-2002, 07:25 PM
It is the person and not the art, but TKD guys don't get any action. See, women don't get all hot just cause you run the kids class.

Its the person that bleeds doing the art that they love that fights well.

Mutant
04-02-2002, 08:05 PM
Even if their style is something like chung moo doe or shaolin do, or your everytown mcdojo? I don't think so.

Brad
04-02-2002, 08:23 PM
Even if their style is something like chung moo doe or shaolin do, or your everytown mcdojo? I don't think so.
I do think so... though someone who allready knows how to fight well(naturaly) would be more likely to ditch the school, or stay away all together

raving_limerick
04-02-2002, 08:27 PM
I think the real matter is, can you mimize the effect of your art's limitations and maximize its strengths? This doesn't necessarily mean cross train, but if you have long nimble legs, and rather short arms, why not try TKD or Tan Tui? Each style offers something different to the mix at the expense of something else really.

Now, if you're talking about the difference between a legit martial art and a McKwoon ca$h cow, that's a different story entirely. That's like arguing about the legitimacy of pleather versus the lineage of leather. :D

rogue
04-02-2002, 08:41 PM
"It is the person and not the art, but TKD guys don't get any action. See, women don't get all hot just cause you run the kids class."

What are you talking about? Have you seen some of those moms?

Uhh, by the way, what's wrong with TKD?:rolleyes:

nospam
04-02-2002, 09:03 PM
If it's the person and not the art, why does it matter what art you study?

It is the person 'what'? We all take MAs for different reasons, so I might prefer a style of gung fu over silat, or wrestling over aikido.

Let's look at taekwondo - many many schools to chose from, so why would I go to #14th instead of all the others from #1 to #15? More than likely it was the instructor...or the person. Therefore, the thought of 'it is the person behind the style' is contextual.

I've had younger classmates who were naturals. They would have been good in any MA. But with the right teacher and a system of MA that might offer more - they become excellent MAists.

nospam.
:cool:

shaolinboxer
04-03-2002, 07:29 AM
The art you chose helps shape you in many ways. We all chose styles that we think are appropriate for our personal goals.

I think that the statement "it's the person, not the style" is as much of an oversimplification as saying "I practice martial arts".

TKD is a great example. Do you want to be a champion competitor in olympic sparring? A full contact fighter? Do you study to gain athletic capactity? For a peaceful mind? For the simple fact that you tried a class and it was so fun you just kept coming back?

Where I train there is a wide range of different types of martial artists. You can tell when you move from partner to partner.

So is is the man or the style? For what purpose?

red5angel
04-03-2002, 07:37 AM
I think it has a lot to do with the person, but not everything. I would venture to say most arts can be effective, but you have to have the drive and you have to be well matched. For instance a friend of mine asked what I thought he should get into if he decided to get into martial arts. I said it all depends on what he is looking for and what he is capable of. At themoment he is atleast 350 lbs, probably closer to 400 because he is also 6'3". Obviously competition Wushu in his current state just would not work!
I chose wing chun because it suits me, straight to the point, not so acrobatic, easy to learn hard to master. Wing chun in my opinion is a good art with or without me though. I hae seen good wing chunners, and bad wing chunners.

Kristoffer
04-03-2002, 12:17 PM
..I have mostly seen bad TKD'ers..