PDA

View Full Version : Bong Sau

Nat from UK
04-03-2002, 05:35 AM
Bong Sau

To collapse at the elbow when pressure is received or to maintain a forward facing angle??

Should you yield to the force or deflect ??

What are peoples thoughts ??

Nat from UK

stuartm
04-03-2002, 05:44 AM
Hi Nat,

Depends where the force is on the bong sau. If im being given forward pressure nearer the wrist of my BS, I would normally collapse into kwai jarng or cup jarng - with the same arm you can then larp sau the inevitable attack that comes, pivot and return the strike - difficult to describe im sorry NAT. If youwatch Master Ip Ching you will see what i mean - have a look at the conference video as there is an excellent example in his demo.

However, if my BS is being given forward presure nearer / at the elbow i was taught to step back with larn sau to pull your opponent on to you - you can then punch over your bong sau (as you can tell this all comes from the CK form) or kick. If somebody pulls your bong sau, you do the oppositei.e step forward and pin with larn sau or bong sau itself, and punch/kick over/under it.

The danger is staying in bong/larn for too long when somebody can put on an arm lock - if this happens you should use biu to regain the centre as soon as the lock is going on , or step forward with gum sau from the 2nd part of SLT and deliver a shoulder strike to the opponents sternum.

However, these techniques are what could be called classical and the situation will dictate how effective they are.

Hope this is of some help !

Regards, Stuart

black and blue
04-03-2002, 06:01 AM
stuartm has hit the nail on the head - at least, this is how we also train Bong Sau.

However, would like to add that I find the success of Bong, or any other 'deflection', is part and parcel of good footwork, stance and pivoting. Without these, Bong Sau can look (and feel :) ) very much like a Karate BLOCK, where strength often determines whether you're hit or not.

Unless I'm specifically using Bong Sau to jam or pin (if I pin I prefer Lan Sau), there is usually some form of collapse. I prefer to allow the arm to collapse a little - the angle of the arm (elbow high/wrist lower) means an incoming strike with often slide down the arm away from target (ie. face).

Footwork and pivot motion from the horse dictates how much contact with the punch is required and how much of this 'slide' will occur.

I think it was said that Bong Sau is one of WC's best and worst techniques. I try not to use if against an initial strike if I can help it. I try to get inside if possible.

Duncan

stuartm
04-03-2002, 06:12 AM
Hi Duncan,

I would agree that larn sau is much better to pin and you are less likely to get locked - this is the major problem with BS.

Stuart

Sabu
04-03-2002, 08:45 AM
All of the above. Everything is beautiful in its own way....

And in the words of the good sir, Roy D. Anthony... "Hope this helps".

reneritchie
04-03-2002, 12:37 PM
One thing that might be helpful is to look at your Bong Sao (or any bridge) as a balance. When the alignment is perfect, it will stay as it is, if force starts to leak to either side, it will yield to that force and fill the space provided (if force presses towards the elbow, the elbow can drop and the hand go in, for example). Then, of course, the same can be applied with whole-body (not just bridge) with your horse adjusting to let the opponent think they get what they want while you go right on in.

Rgds,

RR

CanadianBadAss
04-03-2002, 08:30 PM
If you collapse your bong sao your circle will be broken.
Even if you're trying to do some kind of trap, the second you start to give in you loose your forwordness and you can be hit.

S.Teebas
04-03-2002, 11:20 PM
attack (with ur mind!) as much as you can and u'll eventually get through...constant stable attack!!

black and blue
04-04-2002, 01:24 AM
"Attack with your Mind" - are you talking about forward intention?

I was told constant forward pressure needn't be purely physical. Rather, you should always seek to attack/move forward into gaps, even when defending. I guess that should read 'especially when defending'.

When am I going to actually be able to DO the things I know I SHOULD be doing??? :)

Duncan