PDA

View Full Version : No more running??

scotty1
04-03-2002, 08:54 AM
Mighty B on another thread said:
"I know that you shouldn't distance run as your primary cardio conditioning training because it promotes development in your slow twitch muscle groups"

Aaaaargh!! Is this true?! I run once a week, for about 5 miles.

Am I slowing my kicks down?

Nnnooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Radhnoti
04-03-2002, 09:30 AM
Yep, you're slowing them down...but on the upside, you can kick MORE. ;)
Seriously, the way to counteract this (at least in my understanding) is during your run to set up intervals where you sprint all out. This is supposed to give you both endurance and speed.

Kumkuat
04-03-2002, 11:23 AM
you can also try running uphill. Or you can try interval training while running uphill carrying or holding something heavy.

fa_jing
04-03-2002, 01:27 PM
You are not slowing your kicks down with 1 X 5 mile run a week. That is ridiculous.

-FJ

Ford Prefect
04-04-2002, 07:40 AM
Don't sweat it. The only thing that would possibly slow your kicks down is fatigue in your legs. Jogging itself won't hamper your kicks.

guohuen
04-04-2002, 08:43 AM
You might have to practice your kicks a little more to "shake it out". CAREFULLY try kicking with leg weights. Build up the weight slowly and don't hyperextend the knee.

hkphooey
04-04-2002, 09:02 AM
scotty1

i don't think a 5 mile run once a week comes CLOSE to "distance running". however, intervals certainly are a good option, 5 mile run or not.

instead of thinking of slow twitch/fast twitch, you might think of it as metabolic training. which energy system are you trying to train?? what is the reason for your running [note: i'm not questioning whether you should run or not, just wondering what your overall goal is.]?

i don't know about you, but even if one 5 mile run a week DID slow my kicks down, there is much more to life than having a fast kick. if you happen to be training for serious competition, then there are more things than your 5 mile run to look at. you know?

harry_the_monk
04-05-2002, 01:02 AM
Running is very good for the 'endurance' muscle fibres, and it does build them stronger.
However the only way to hamper the other 'strength' muscle fibres you would be using during kicks would be by not training them.
saying that running will deteriorate your kicking is like saying the bench press will destroy your swimming.

The possible difference may be in your crossover muscle fibres, but that would only happen if you were a serious long distance runner.

Try plyometric exercises to build up your kicking muscles, things like jumping squats are quite good.

IronFist
04-05-2002, 01:35 AM
No, it's like saying swimming will destroy your bench press :)

IronFist

scotty1
04-05-2002, 05:55 AM
I'm not worried about the speed of my kicks, they're fine.

But thanks everyone, for the comments. Now read my new thread!!