PDA

View Full Version : Ryu, BJJ pagans, and random people:

yenhoi
04-03-2002, 12:15 PM
Say for a "striker" crosstraining, what would be the 'easiest' high-percentage locks and chokes to go for first?

Would the trianlge choke be one of these? If not, is it because a good triangle (or triangles) requires good knowledge of the guard, passing the guard, and stacking?

Merryprankster
04-03-2002, 12:19 PM
If you are mounted/sidemount/knee-on-belly, the easiest are going to be paintbrush and armlock combos (only armlock from knee on).

If you are IN somebody's guard, learn to break it and go for an achilles lock or heel hook.

If you HAVE guard on somebody, learn armlock, triangle, and kimura.

If you have somebody's back, rear naked choke.

yenhoi
04-03-2002, 12:22 PM
I am not familiar with paintbrush lock.

Also, what are your thoughts on guillotine?

Ryu
04-03-2002, 12:27 PM
The guillotine can take out a lot of guys that don't know how to defend it. I would say it's a low percentage move on someone with some decent grappling knowledge. On another note, most untrained fighters go for the guillotine in fights from my experience.

The paintbrush is "ude garami" It's a simple lock, and easy to get. I've had a lot of success with that one.

I would say that triangle is actually harder to get on someone then you may think. It takes some trickery, and some good guard ability.

The rear naked choke, ude garami, heel hook (as Merry said) and even the straight arm bar can be high percentage moves in my opinion.

Ryu

Merryprankster
04-03-2002, 12:34 PM
I agree with Ryu about the guillotine. Some others have other opinions though.

The triangle IS something that takes a little skill, but it's worth learning because it sets up the armlock and even the kimura perfectly.

Dark Knight
04-03-2002, 02:55 PM
I found leg locks/ankle locks were the easiest to get when you first learn grappling.

The Key lock and armbar came after a short time, then into chokes and others later.

But that what worked first for me.

Buy Tony lopez's combonation tape, it flows from lock to lock. Its a nice way to learn to flow and get into locks.

yenhoi
04-03-2002, 02:56 PM
What would be the most common and 'best' (meaning not necessarily applied by unskilled opponent) takedowns to learn to apply and to deal with? Besides the duck, cover, and tackle manuver.

Merryprankster
04-03-2002, 03:00 PM
learn to execute and deal with a double and single and most other leg attacks will be defended the same way.

You'll be working off the sprawl/guillotine for the double and the wizzer and sprawl for the single, for the defenses. Crossface can also be applied.

Learn to defend a hip toss (O goshi for the judoka) and you'll have a good basis from which to defend most other "throws."

yenhoi
04-03-2002, 03:03 PM
How do you defend a 'normal' hip toss if the dude has your elbow? Besides just having fast feet............?

Merryprankster
04-03-2002, 03:08 PM
I need some more details, bro! :)

yenhoi
04-03-2002, 03:48 PM
All the hip tosses ive been taught have to do with the thrower grabbing the throiE's elbow, tucking it under his arm, steping to the side, wraping his arm around the throiE's waist, stepping to the front, hips and legs aligned, then, whoop, thrown.

The way I defend against such things is 1) not being grabbed, 2) punching when grabbed 3) attempting a throw myself when grabbed 4) moving when he moves when grabbed (mainly my feet, so he cant get the positioning - also my center of gravity, etc.)

Merryprankster
04-03-2002, 04:01 PM
That's what I thought you meant, but I wanted to be sure.

The simplest counter is to sink your weight and straighten your back as if you were doing a deadlift. If his hips are higher than yours, he'll have a hard time throwing you.

Once you've got that part down, lock your hands around his waist and thrust your hips forward to lift HIM up. Turn and drop him at your leisure

You can also counterthrow by stepping in front of him.

You can also turn your body once your wieght is down and hands are locked around his waist, so that your head is on the front of his body while you are on the side of his, then trip him to his near side back corner (like if you were ON his right side, you'd trip him to right back.)

yenhoi
04-03-2002, 06:27 PM
What is the worst thing you can imagine being thrown at you in the ring? YOur facing a striker, or something, what really makes you go "oh ****?"

Merryprankster
04-03-2002, 06:41 PM
Fast, accurate, heavy hands.

Merryprankster
04-03-2002, 07:32 PM
Combined with good takedown defenses.

Stacey
04-03-2002, 08:42 PM
for me it went as follows

Ones I successfully pulled off while rollin around...mostly its been the rear naked although in recent years I like the fig four because I can set it up with the ole ground n pound.

1. Rear naked choke
2. Guillotine ( agree with Ryu, can get out of these, and for most people its a matter of taking the choker down and slipping the head out...or picking him up and throwing him on his head.
3. Fig 4.(kumura?)..and the over extended tricep stretch
4. Ankle locks
5. Japanese arm bar..jiju gatame?
6. Arm bar against neck on ground....learned it after I learned the standing version in kung fu...Sifu showed us how to do it there.

7. Finger locks...can get them at any time, whats the point? The smaller the joint, the easier they figure out your techniques...I go for biggerst joints first as they are harder. More sporting.

8. Mauling- What Gene Lebell shows a lot of in his books. Strength oriented. Like squeezing with the legs...there are lots of little nasties you can do on the ground.

9...I'm constantly grapevining, but I don't consider that a lock, but rather positioning.

I don't roll as much as I used to..don't have to. A decent throw will put you in a good position, usually I have the lock on and one knee up, one on the ground.

I suck at...triangle chokes...knee bars...the fuggin suck. They are not easy and you can get a knee to the nuts. At least when triangle fails you have jijugatame.

hey today in class I figured something out...I'll share it in the next post.

Stacey
04-03-2002, 08:44 PM
ok..you shoot, they sprawn and go for double underhooks...as they do twirl and drop..like a crocidile. you end up on your back with an arm arross your body, grip it with your knees and you can get a hand free elbow lock

David Jamieson
04-04-2002, 02:29 AM
You're not allowed to crush the esophagus at all?

peace

yenhoi
04-04-2002, 07:48 AM
Allowed?

Do you just go for it with your hand kung lek or are you applying some forearm deal?

Merryprankster
04-04-2002, 09:00 AM
Kung,

In most grappling competition, throat "tears," are illegal (grabbing the trachea). However, fists in the throat, palms pressuring the throat, feet in the throat, shins, knees, elbows, heads, chins, etc, are all legal.

To be honest, "tears," aren't very good submission holds. I'm not saying they don't have their place. I'm saying there are other, better options from the mount, and that "tears" are VERY hard to properly apply from side control, the back, and the guard, (must control the opponents head--one hand trying to find the throat is one less to control) and would mean pretty much instant defeat if you did it from inside somebody's guard.