PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Hung sing, buk sing, and chan family style?

Shaolindynasty
04-03-2002, 03:14 PM
Hey Last month i started studing Hung sing CLF and was wondering if there was any real difference in the CLF branches. Or are all the differences mostly political?

p.s. No argueing please.

premier
04-03-2002, 03:47 PM
Don't know.. There's differences in curriculums and I think the flavor is a bit different and they emphasize different things in different schools.

premier

straightblast5
04-03-2002, 08:09 PM
For the exception of Buck Sing, all Choy Lay Fut are referred to as Hung Sing. A different Chinese character representing the word “Hung” superficially delineates each specific branch of Hung Sing. These divisions came about due in part to certain deviations in the Choy Lay Fut lineage. Today, the more prominent branches of Hung Sing are represented by the Chan family lineage, Cherng Yim lineage, and the Fong Yuk Shu lineage (the lineage you now belong to). Buck Sing stems from the Tarm Sam lineage.

Due to the fact that Fong Yuk Shu followed Chan Koon Pak (son of Cheung Heung), many of our sets share the same name as those found in the Chan Family curriculum. My exposure to Choy Lay Fut has mostly been with the Fong Yuk Shu lineage (since Fong Yuk Shu is my father’s Sigung). However, due to my friendship with Joe Keit, Sifu Lee Siu-Hung, and Sifu Tat-Mau Wong, I have had a bit of exposure to the Lee Koon Hung’s branch (Cherng Yim lineage). From my observations, their techniques appear a bit more extended while what we practice tend to be a bit more compact.

I could make comments about the other groups that I have listed but I do not wish to base my comparisons on my limited exposure to their methods. However, I can say that every group I had witnessed practiced what is recognizably Choy Lay Fut - gave or take some differences in generation of power and execution of particular techniques.

Phil Ng
Ng Family Chinese Martial Arts Association (http://www.ngfamilymartialarts.com)

Shaolindynasty
04-03-2002, 08:11 PM
I know that curriculums are different even in the hung sing branch. I'm just curious as to weather they are compatable. Let's say you learned some forms from the hung sing branch then learned some forms from the buk sing or chan branch, how different would they be. Would they seem like different styles, are the structures of the different branches the same?

Jut asking because the only CLF I've ever seen live or on tape has been hung sing. So I have know idea what the others look like.

Shaolindynasty
04-03-2002, 08:13 PM
Oh we posted at the same time Phil. Thanks for the reply.

extrajoseph
04-03-2002, 08:58 PM
All 3 CLF branches mentioned are cmpetible because they all came from the same source. The teaching curriculum, the sequence and the content of the forms may varied but the basic "language" is the same. In theory and in practice all 3 can "talk" to each other with different "dialects". Chen Family has the largest "vocabuary" because they are the oldest, folllowed by Hung Sing and then Bak Sing. Right now it is very political and according to Master Dave Lacey in his latest article, the family is splited up into 2 camps, either Cheung Hung Sing or Chan Heung as the "Chong Pai Jo Si" and this is all because of pride and prejudice.

If my statement is incorrect, please attack the content and not the person like some freaks would. No biase, no disrespect and no sarcasm is intended. Thanking you all in advance.

JosephX

alecM
04-04-2002, 08:43 AM
straightblast5
I see we have the same a similar lineage, my CLF is from Fong Yuk Shu, Chan Hon Hung, my sigung Chu Yu Jong and my sifu Ng Hou Tak (Edmund NG). Do you know of any other CLF schools of Fong Yuk Shu Lineage out side of China and Hong Kong?

straightblast5
04-05-2002, 02:04 AM
Hello Alec,

Those of the Fong Yuk Shu lineage still teaching publicly in or outside of Hong Kong are few and far between these days.

I believe one of my father’s Sihings had recently relocated to California, though I don’t think he’s actively teaching CLF to the public at the moment. My father’s Sihing To Sum (son of my Sigung, To Hon Cheung), is still active in Hong Kong, though he’s involved primarily with medicine (and teaching martial arts mostly through private instruction).

Phil
Ng Family Chinese Martial Arts Association (http://www.ngfamilymartialarts.com)

Jamesbond_007
04-05-2002, 08:01 AM
Straightblast:
I hate to inquire this of you but do you happen to know where one of your father's sihings reloated in CA? And how one might go about contacting him? I live in San Diego and am intereseted in your lineage. Thanks

alecM
04-05-2002, 11:01 AM
straightblast5,
glaad to hear that other members of the family as it were are doing well. I have a personal website (http://alecmorris.topcities.com/directory6.htm) dedicated to CLF (all branches) and I had your school listed before I found out you were of Fong Yuk Shu lineage on my CLF schools Directory.

Shaolindynasty,
As straightblast5 said due to the fact that Fong Yuk Shu followed Chan Koon Pak (son of Chang Heung), many of our sets share the same name as those found in the Chan Family curriculum. Even with the CLF school I belong to also descending from Fong Yuk Shu but coming to the west from Hong Kong you will probable even find variations in the forms practised between our two branches. The forms will be slightly different but easily recognizable to you than a form of the same name from the either Buk Sing or Fut San branches.