PDA

View Full Version : Motivation

garbutt
04-03-2002, 05:58 PM
Hi,

I was just thinking about martial arts, why it is we do it and what keeps us doing it. Its werid cos sometimes i find myself wondering why am i doing this but ijust carry on as though its gonna prove useful sometime.
How do you keep yourself motivated to keep pushinf to keep training?,

I dont know about me i suppose i just do, i just get more and more interested and keep training and reading and thinking.

Thanx
Dave

rogue
04-03-2002, 09:08 PM
It's a part of my life. I stopped trying to be deadly, stopped trying to be the best in my class, stopped collecting techniques, stopped trying to be a bad @ss and just started letting the art challenge me.

red_fists
04-03-2002, 09:12 PM
Same as rogue.

Forget about learning the next form/technique, and being the best.

Once you can do that your progress in MA and Life will be much greater and faster.

Don't think about MA, simply do it.

IronFist
04-03-2002, 09:16 PM
Possible sources of motivation:

Do you want to lose a fight?

Do you want to better understand the philosophy of the style you study and how it can benefit you in other aspects of your life?

Aren't martial arts fun?

Do you want to be able to defend your and your loved one's lives?

Don't you want to be able to kick higher than all your friends :D

IronFist

jon
04-03-2002, 09:16 PM
Just wanna make my body do what i want, when i want it to :)

I can get though Sydney city peak hour on foot at warp speed without bumping into anybody. What more could i ask for :D

HuangKaiVun
04-03-2002, 09:40 PM
Lately, I've been asked about training by people who don't necessarily want to fight but want the exercise.

One of my violin students has a daughter who rides horseback but wants to get more athletic in general. She approached me about nonsparring wholesome exercise, as she knows that I have such an approach in classical violin.

I figure that if I don't train, I won't have much to show to people like this lady and her daughter.

red_fists
04-03-2002, 09:46 PM
Other reasons why I train are as follows:

Keep me in fairly decent shape and fitness level.
Meet new interesting people.
And msot Important:

Get to show TCC to the Ladies from our Secretary pool & Sales Staff some of them do Kendo, Karate & Aikido.

Now why didn't that happen b4 I got maried.
Oh well, as they say:
"Marriage is a reason, not a handicap"

Seeya.

diego
04-03-2002, 09:53 PM
Same as rogue.

Forget about learning the next form/technique, and being the best.

" BECAUSE DIEGO IS THE BEST"snicker"
Once you can do that your progress in MA and Life will be much greater and faster.

"CORRECT"
Don't think about MA, simply do it.

rogue
04-03-2002, 10:05 PM
For me one thing I've noticed is that when I was motivated only by the physical benefits of the art I lost my motivation when I was tired, injured or unable to perform up to standard. Now that I'm using martial arts to challenge myself mentally I find that the physical takes care of itself (almost). If I'm tired the challenge will be to get to class and see how well I can do at less than 100%. If I'm injured how well can I perform and what kind of compensations can I make to get through the kata and sparring.

respectmankind
04-04-2002, 12:00 AM
To spite my past. To coin a phrase from my favorite movie "He used to set out a wrench and a belt and say choose" "Well chief, I would have to go with the belt." "I chose the wrench..." "Why?" "Because **** him, that is why." - Goodwill Hunting, my life in a nuttshell.

garbutt
04-04-2002, 02:55 PM
Ok,
I wasnt trying to express a personal optionion i just wondered what other peoples ideas on the topic were.
:)