PDA

View Full Version : Lama Crane?

Yung Apprentice
04-04-2002, 12:27 AM
Is Lama Crane or Lama Pai Crane the same thing as White Crane or Tibetan White Crane?

Yung Apprentice
04-04-2002, 08:53 AM
Is Lama Pai White Crane a.k.a. Pak Hok?

Also, I'm not very familiar with White Crane. What are some of the characteristics of Tibetan White Crane?

What are some likes and differences of Tibetan White Crane and Fukien White Crane. ie. Training, forms, drills, lineage, and characteristcs?

Final question, did Fukien White Crane influence Tibetan White Crane at all?

norther practitioner
04-04-2002, 09:07 AM
http://www.hopgar.com/history/
http://www.aei.ca/~straycat/kungfu/w-crane.html

http://www.uvm.edu/~jpl/kungfu/skungfu.html
just some random links I had saved somewhere, hop gar was my first style.

Yung Apprentice
04-04-2002, 09:47 AM
HHHHMMMM. Interesting. How many names does it have? Hop Gar, Tibetan White Crane, Pak Hok, and Lama Pai White Crane? In the first link with the Hop Gar, it sounded quick,powerful, and precise. But on the Fukien link, it made Hop Gar sound powerful, but slower.

Anyone else care to chime in? All info would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone on this board trained in both styles before?

Mutant
04-04-2002, 10:00 AM
the shaolin type crane (5 animals and then evolved into hung gar, etc) style is different than southern white crane.

and those two different styles are different than tibetan.

I think tibetan crane is the same as lama crane (i think its actually tibetan lama..) but i'm not sure.. which is different than shaolin and southern white crane.

i'm not sure if that helps or just confuses things even more...

Mutant
04-04-2002, 10:00 AM
the shaolin type crane (5 animals and then evolved into hung gar, etc) style is different than southern white crane.

and those two different styles are different than tibetan.

I think tibetan crane is the same as lama crane (i think its actually tibetan lama..) but i'm not sure.. which is different than shaolin and southern white crane.

i think all share some basic principals, all being influenced by the crane, but i think there are substancial differences beyond that.

i'm not sure if that helps or just confuses things even more...

Mutant
04-04-2002, 10:02 AM
double post...

guohuen
04-04-2002, 10:14 AM
From Shaolin White Crane, by Dr. Yang Jwing Ming. La Ma = White Crane.

GOLDEN ARMOR
04-04-2002, 11:14 AM
The original name of this powerful system is Lion's Roar, a Tibetan monk Sing Lung Lo Jung (lit. Sage Dragon Venerable Monk) is the 11th generation inheritor of the Lion's Roar system. The Manchurians were followers of Tibetan Buddhism so when they invaded China, they brought Tibetan monks. Many of these monks were sent to Chan Buddhist monasteries, particularly in southern provinces. Sing Lung Lo Jung was sent to a small monastery in Guangdong province known as Green Cloud Monastery. Sing Lung made friends with the Chinese monks & in exchange for them teaching him their Shaolin Arts, Sing Lung taught a select few the Lion's Roar system. It's here that the systems name changed, the Chinese monks began to refer to the art they were learning as "Lama Pai" which meant the art practiced by Lamas (Tibetan monks).

One day Sing Lung came down from the mountain to the village & saw a Shaolin Kung Fu master known as Wong Ping, Wong Ping was something of a local legend, known as "the bronze foot" because of this he came to the attention of Sing Lung. Wong Ping was demonstrating his Kung Fu, Sing Lung was impressed by Wong's skill & tried to tell him but because Sing Lung's Chinese was'nt very good there was a misunderstanding. Wong Ping attacked Sing Lung with a powerful leg sweep but the Tibetan monk utilized a technique known as "Gam Gong Hong Luhng." He leapt up into the air & landed on the leg, breaking Wong Ping's knee. When the misunderstanding was corrected Sing Lung offered to heal the leg useing special Tibetan medicine tech's & the two became friends. Wong Ping was so impressed by Sing Lung that he asked the old monk to teach his two sons. The 2 brothers grew up in the village below the monastery studying kung fu under their father. They were the last two layman disciples accepted by Sing Lung. Both Wong Yan-Lam & Wong Lam-Hoi studied for many years & achieved great skill under the direction of Sing Lung. In addition to Lama Pai, they also learned the Lo Han Myuhn (Boddhisattva division) & Gum Gong Myuhn (Diamond division) internal methods & the Tibetan medical tech's.

Wong Yan-Lam was one of the Ten Tigers of Canton & the Hop Gar style came through his lineage & is a offshoot of Lama Pai.

The Tibetan White Crane style is also a offshoot of Lama Pai, coming through the lineage of Wong Lam-Hoi.

Lama Pai is also commonly known as Lama Gar, there is also another White Crane style called Fukien White Crane but this is totally different.

diego
04-04-2002, 11:53 AM
Northern Practitioner my style is a mix of kajukenbo and hopgar, im a beginner without a teacher, learnt from my moms boyfriend then they broke up and i hate him:)
if you have any info detials you can give, much appreciated.

also yung check out my kajukenbo/hopgar thread i scanned micheal staples and gm david chins hopgar book in hopes i can find more stylists
Peace

Ray Pina
04-04-2002, 12:26 PM
One hand lies, the other tells the truth.

norther practitioner
04-04-2002, 01:18 PM
Diego, what do you need to know? Lineages, techniques, forms, etc. I only really remember one form.....We did a lot of two man drills and conditioning when I was there. I did pick up a few things, but not a great deal.

diego
04-04-2002, 02:46 PM
who, where did you study, how much can you remember, and how much was in thier curriculum, if you can recall.

What i learnt we really only use 6 or 7 longfists, i have thier apps down. perhaps you remember how you guys trained them, what was your basics like, how long did you train... :) **** it just put it all in the bag!.

Yung Apprentice
04-04-2002, 07:16 PM
Thanx!

HopGar
04-04-2002, 09:58 PM
Wow! I didnt expect to see this on the main forum!

But to answer, Tibetan White Crane aka Pak Hok Pai is one of 3 divisions of Tibetan MA. The other two are Hop Gar and Lama Pai.

Hop Gar contrary to what is said, is powerful and quick and direct. Trust me. (I've been in it almost 2 and half yrs so I have some idea of whats going on)

Peace

diego
04-05-2002, 01:07 AM
NorthernShaolin has a bit of info on NgMing:D
if you have any questions im sure he could Help!!.
Peace