PDA

View Full Version : Qi to head

prana
04-04-2002, 12:49 AM
I have been wondering this for some time now but I was a little reluctant to post , but here goes anyways...

During the pushing of Qi into the head, the hearing momentarily disappears. It sounds as if you are suddenly emersed in water... My question , is this a blockage ? Is this "wrong" ? :confused:

TIA

Repulsive Monkey
04-04-2002, 04:31 AM
I'm not entirely sure as I don't really get that sensation to a substantial degree, and I do have Water element deficiencies thus effecting the ears (being the organ of the Kidneys), therefore if anyone has got blockages in that area its got to be me. There is of course in Taoist meditation and I think in some Buddhist principles of closing off the senses when meditating, or at least the natural closing off of senses. Maybe this is a natural unfolding of this sensation in your practice? It could be Qi creating warmth in that area and gently creating expansion in some tissues thus encroaching upon other anatomy creating a slight drop in hearing however.

woliveri
04-04-2002, 10:43 AM
I have always been taught not to bring qi to the head using your Yi. Especially in beginning levels. Rather, use your qi gong practice to fill a vessel. When vessels are filled the qi will naturally flow elsewhere in the body. For advanced levels I have been told by more than one master that specific guidance is needed when dealing with the upper tan tien area. Also, when under a master's guidence, the master can keep your qi balanced and 'safe' as many things can go wrong here.

HTH,

prana
04-04-2002, 05:22 PM
I'm not entirely sure as I don't really get that sensation to a substantial degree, and I do have Water element deficiencies thus effecting the ears (being the organ of the Kidneys), therefore if anyone has got blockages in that area its got to be me. There is of course in Taoist meditation and I think in some Buddhist principles of closing off the senses when meditating, or at least the natural closing off of senses. Maybe this is a natural unfolding of this sensation in your practice? It could be Qi creating warmth in that area and gently creating expansion in some tissues thus encroaching upon other anatomy creating a slight drop in hearing however.

Perhaps you are right Repulsive, my ears are a worry and constantly causes me sudden dizzyness. Heheh our similarities.

When you complete the circuit does your hearing come back a bit? BTW don't leave the chi in your head.

Definitely, it is only when the Qi is being moved upwards, it seems to "hit" the throat region and then suddenly, its like I am in deep water, after which it goes away.

Also, when under a master's guidence, the master can keep your qi balanced and 'safe' as many things can go wrong here.

Fortunately, I waited to receive rLung (prana) empowerments before pracitising these techniques, supposedly, the vessels have been cleared by him .... lol been waiting soooo long. But you see, my guru lives in Rumtek, so I can't ask him these questions now. Have to wait till i go see him again .... hehehe hopefully soon ;)

Did you ever get an explanation as to why not to bring Qi via Yi to your head ?
Thanks guys, more meditating :)

woliveri
04-08-2002, 07:19 PM
Did you ever get an explanation as to why not to
bring Qi via Yi to your head ?

As I understand it, qi flows in meridians like water
flows in a stream. Vessels in the body are the
largest of these meridians and are the source of qi
for the smaller meridians. So having said that it is
better (in my view) to fill the vessels, i.e. the
source, first and as they are filled to capacity and
more the qi will naturally flow to the smaller
meridians and/or where it is needed. When there is a blockage the qi will naturally break through this blockage at the right
time. The key word here is naturally. If you try to
force circulation when your qi is not 'full' enough it
would be like using a water hose to open a large sewer
pipe. Focus would then be taken away from building/cultivating/storing and devoted to circulating. If you have a chance and get it, there is a really good book called Tranquil Sitting, description here:

A Taoist Journal on the Theory, Practice & Benefits of
Meditation
Yin Shih Tzu
Translated by Shi Fu Hwang & Cheney Crow
TRANQUIL SITTING is a powerful testament to the
healing power and spiritual benefits of meditation.
Master Tzu's training in classical Chinese medicine
and modern physiology allows him to guide readers
expertly through his own experiences of Taoist and
Buddhist yoga and medita tion. As a result, they too
can realise the mental and physical phenomenon
experienced while progressing through the different
stages of meditation.
250 pages, 5.5 x 8.5,

HTH,

prana
04-14-2002, 03:14 PM
update, in case you guys are interested.

It is very simple. Because I "focus" on the lower centers, my head drops forward (bad habit) so when the energy moves up, it is "pinched", and the hearing goes crazy. So simple, lol

Thanks for all your thoughts...

dezhen2001
04-14-2002, 03:32 PM
Hi Prana,

interesting... that sometimes happens to me when i do hard qigong. We talked about it before right :) It's when i am especially doing a lot of breathing and using the power. I wasn't sure if it was to do with the breathing technique we use, or something else. I think it's usually only when i am doing it wrong!

Something to think about,
best of luck,

david :)

David
04-27-2003, 05:23 AM
Hey all.

Sorry for bringing a way old thread back up but it came up in a search I was doing and I have something (useless?) to throw in.

Compared with what I'm reading from you guys, I don't know my yi from my pee-pee but there is one mantis qigong form I do which leaves me feeling entirely underwater. There is no associated dizziness - I feel very energised and always attributed the feeling to an increase in skin sensitivity to the air. For example, it seems to me that I can feel the air moving over my arms in a strike to such a degree that it might as well be water for the intensiity of it.

The form is called "sup baat um gen sao" and that's 18 dark internal power hands.

Okay, I'm going to post my own question now.

-David

[Censored]
04-28-2003, 11:11 AM
It sounds as if you are suddenly emersed in water... My question , is this a blockage ? Is this "wrong" ?

Sounds like the blood in your eardrum is interfering with the resonance of the membrane.

Did you ever get an explanation as to why not to bring Qi via Yi to your head ?

Hell yeah dude, if you do it wrong you will go insane, or worse!

ZIM
04-29-2003, 10:02 AM
Hell yeah dude, if you do it wrong you will go insane, or worse! Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, what do you get with it? Rational thought. Ho-hum. BUT, if you get good and crazy, well, the SKY'S THE LIMIT, Jack!!

Good thread, BTW. :)

GeneChing
06-01-2015, 08:46 AM
Actually way OT, but I'm trying to give this forum a little luv, so I'm posting this here anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTmbcCSR8eM