PDA

View Full Version : Suilam Fut Ga Kuen Videos

FIRE HAWK
03-29-2001, 04:46 AM
Is Suilam Fut Ga Kuen a good style to learn.There are videos out by sifu Harlan Lee and sifu Arthur Lee are these videos any good.What kind of forms does this syle have.I might buy these videos so i was wondering if they where worth buying.

BiuJee
03-29-2001, 08:10 AM
while you're at it, you might as well buy Todd Shawn Tei's Wing Chun series! ;)
seriously friend, the videos do not cover forms, and are simply basic, BASIC fut ga techniques, that IMHO, reflect a strong kempo influence and are extremely eclectic in nature.

they just aren't worth it if you ask me.

flashg7
03-29-2001, 02:14 PM
Although it has nothing to do with the video's, here's something about Harlan Lee you might find interesting.
About 2 years ago, there was a fight here in Honolulu promoting the USA vs.China. Harlan Lee was one of the fighters, and being from Honolulu, was billed as the hometown favorite.
No one had ever heard of him fighting, but he was built up as this fantastic fighter. The first few fights were pretty good, then came "Master" Harlan's turn. The Chinese fighter came in the ring, then the "real" show began. First, there was a Lion Dance with 2 lions, which took about 5 minutes. Then came a Hawaiian chant that lasted another couple of minutes. I guess Harlan needed all the help he could get! During all this, the Chinese fighter kept getting more and more irritated because he had to keep moving to keep his body from cooling down. Pretty boy Harlan finally came into the ring.
Now, at first sight, it appeared that this would be an easy fight for Harlan, being that he had a buff body and all, and the Chinese fighter looked smooth. But all the showboating ****ed the Chinese fighter off!
The fight finally started, and "Master" Harlan showed what a master he really was by eating straight right hand after straight right hand, and also some round kicks to the jaw for good measure. He finally got knocked out and word was that he suffered either a broken jaw or some other facial bone. During the fight I saw no trace of the famed Sil Lum Fut Ga, the system which he is supposed to inherit from his father.
Now, maybe the lion dance and the Hawaiian chant was the promoters idea, and Harlan didn't know about it(although it was his own school that perfomed the lion dance!), but it was still his up to him to perform in the ring.
It's also interesting to note that their school also advertises(or at least used to) that they teach kickboxing. If Sil Lum Fut Ga is such a good system, why would they have to resort to teaching kickboxing? Insecure about the effectiveness of their style maybe?
It is also interesting to note that Kung Fu magazine really downplayed this bout in their article about this tournament.

Laine Nakachi
05-05-2001, 10:50 PM
Fire Hawk ,

Sil Lum Fut Ga Kuen Videos

Is sil lum fut ga a good style to learn.
There are videos out by sifu Harlan Lee and Sifu Arthur Lee are these videos any good ? What kind of forms does this style have . I might buy these videos so I was wondering if they were worth buying .

Fire Hawk ,

I have these videos too myself , although I only have 3 of the videos . I still need to get 2 more of the videos , the videos are **** good .

I myself have trained under sifu arthur and harlan lee .It's a good style to learn ,Sil Lum Fut Ga Kuen ( Shaolin Buddhist Family Fist ) it's a system which contains the essential techniques that's deriving from the fighting styles of the 5 shaolin monks.Lee,Hung,mok,lau,and choy.It uses velocity instead of brute strenght,the hand techniques evolved around the yin & yang concept of touch / go movements .And the theory is to attack the opponent , before the opponent knows it's comming .
There are 6 sets ( forms ) in this system.
The only way to learn the forms is to go to the San Francisco or Hawaii branch of the Gee Yung Martial Art Association.

Not to brag about sifu arthur or harlan lee .But they are good ,right now , I'm taking a break from training . But they are good.To me,the videos may contain only the basics,because sifu arthur and harlan don't want to expose their entire system on video . They welcome people to come and learn from them , if they want to .Because , I myself feel that , if fut ga was'nt good at all. I would'nt learn it myself .

But it's to you to believe me , though.Only for those people who researched the system will know about it.Other than that people won't know the art.

Take Care,
Sil Lum Kuen
P.S. The video tapes are good.

Laine Nakachi
05-05-2001, 11:41 PM
While you're at it,you might as well buy Todd Shawn Tei's

Wing Chun series!
seriously friend,the videos do not cover forms ,and are simply basic , Basic fut ga techniques, that IMHO , reflect a strong kempo influence and are extremely electic in nature .

they just aren't worth it if you ask me.

Videos

Biu Jee ,

One of the past issues of Inside Kung Fu Magazine.Had a article about Sil Lum Fut Ga Kuen.These 2 systems have a wing chun connection to it , although there are 2 different systems.

The videos does'nt only teach basics,it also teaches power development.Also stance training , other than that videos are good.

What kempo are you reffering to,American Kempo Karate ? Chinese Kempo ? Or Okinamwan Kempo ?

I have sifu shawn tei's videos,they're good.But the fut ga videos are just as good too.You know , I myself have deep respect for wing chun people too.But we all have to respect all kung fu systems.Regardless of styles or systems.
To me if the videos , don 't teach what you want to learn.Go and take classes or organize a seminar , to find out more about the style .

The only kempo I know that has fut ga techniques.Is American Kempo Karate,when Ed Parker was a young kid ,it was somewhere on this island.Ed Parker had watched Sifu arthur lee when he was young,with his sifu Lum Dai Yung .William Chow , Ed Parker's kempo teacher also learned kung fu from his uncle , father or grandfather.And had combined it with his kempo which he learned from James Mitose.
The movie perfect weapon has fut ga techiques too.Because Jeff Speakman is an Ed Parker student.In his other movies other movies has hung gar & choy li fut movements in it too. The way Speakman attacks his opponent is all kempo , but the techniques are Choy Li Fut &
hung gar .

Take Care ,
Sil Lum Kuen
P.S.Just to know the art you must
research the art .Bye.

Laine Nakachi
05-06-2001, 10:27 AM
Although it has nothing to do with the videos , here's something about Harlan Lee you might find interesting. About 2 years ago , there was a fight here in Hoolulu promoting the USA vs China . Harlan Lee was one of the fighters, and being from Honolulu , was billed as the hometown favorite .
No one had ever heard of him fighting,but he was built up as this fantastic fighter.
The first few fights were pretty good, then came " Master " Harlan's turn.The Chinese fighter came in the ring,then the " real " show began.First, there was a lion danc with 2 lions , which took about 5 minutes.Then came a Hawaiian chant that lasted another couple of minutes.I guess Harlan needed all the help he could get!
During all this, the Chinese fighter kept getting more and more irritated because he had to keep moving to keep his body from cooling down.Pretty boy Harlan finally came into the ring .
Now,at first sight , it appeared that this would be an easy fight for Harlan,being that he had a buff body and all, and the chinese fighter looked smooth. But all the showboating ****ed the Chinese fighter
off!
The fight finally started , and " Master " Harlan showed what a master he really was by eating straight right hand after straight right hand,and also some round house kicks to the jaw for good measure.He finally got knocked out and word was that he suffred either a broken jaw or some other facial bone.
During the fight I saw no trace of the famed Sil Lum Fut Ga, the system which he is supposed to inherit from him father .
Now, maybe the lion dance and the Hawaiian chant was the promoters idea, and Harlan did'nt know abot it ( although it was his own school that performed the lion dance!)
, but it was still up to him to perform in the ring.
It's also interesting to note that their school also advertises (or atleast used to) that they teach kickboxing.If Sil Lum Fut Ga is such a good system, why would they have to resort to teaching kickboxing ? Insecure about the effectiveness of their style maybe?
It is also interesting to note that kung fu magazine really downplayed this bout in their article about this tournament.

Gordan ,

Were you a student of Sifu Kimo Wong a long time ago. Who did you learn wing chun from ? Was it Robert Yeung , Stanley Au , or one of Robert Yeung's students,who beacame sifus themselves ? Do you have a flyer posted at the Hawaii Martial Arts Supply ? If these questions does'nt apply to you excuse me , wrong person.

Anyway, right , harlan did lose the match in Hawaii.He lost because he was'nt ready for the match.But did it ever occur to you that you can't use kung fu in these type of matches ?

What do you have against Harlan and the Sil Lum Fut Ga system ? It seems that you have something against harlan and his
art.But you know what ,it does'nt matter what you think .To me he is still a winner atleast he went out and fought the chinese fighter.The chinese fighter himself had no respect for harlan.I know harlan myself,
I've seen him train and he's good .
Harlan's father had passed the art onto harlan himself,and also the school.So it's up to harlan to teach what he wants to teach.If you ever checked out the Tat Mau Wong Chinese Martial Art Championships , and the Lily Lau Eagle Cup kung fu championships , you'll find harlan in it .

I respect wing chun sifus myself.Infact, I do have friends who are wing chun practitioners themselves. They learned under Sifu Stanley Au . But now they're practicing on their own.But they always respect other sifus of kung fu too.They never talk stink about anybody .You as a wing chun sifu should know better, not to talk stink about a person and his martial arts.Bear in mind that no matter how good you are , always get people better than you .

Long time ago , the wing chun system had their own share of controversies too.But I think you know the whole story.In this world if you want trouble you'll get trouble.To avoid trouble watch what you say.Harlan may have lost the match , but it does'nt mean that he can't train his students to become better .And it does'nt matter what you think about Sil Lum Fut Ga ,the art can survive without the kickboxing or with the kickboxing.Some students of harlan or other assistant instructors would just prefer to study the fut ga system , instead of the kickboxing and still survive on the streets.
My good friend who also trains in fut ga.At one time had to use fut ga techniques in a bar to defend himself .

Take Care,
Sil Lum Kuen

flashg7
05-07-2001, 11:30 AM
After reviewing my previous post on this thread, as well as Sil Lum Kuen's comments, I feel that I have to apologize for the inappropriate comments I made regarding the following:

1) To begin with, my post had nothing to do with Firehawks inquiry regarding Harlan's video's. I apologize for that. As far as fut ga, from what I understand, it is a short-range system that is similar to wing chun. In fact, in high school, I had a couple classmates who took classes at a school on 13th Avenue and from what I remember them telling me, the training was hard core.

2) Sil Lum Kuen, you are right on a couple of items. For one, in the ring, it is hard to use any techniques of traditional gung fu. Also, there will always be someone better. And, someone can always get LUCKY. So, I guess on that day, Harlan was either not at his best, the Chinese fighter got lucky, or he was just better than Harlan. Even Mike Tyson had a bad day when he fought Buster Douglas! Also, you must still give anyone credit for having the guts to get in the ring, and I give Harlan credit for training and getting in the ring. Again, I apologize for any disrespect to Harlan or the Sil Lum Fut Ga clan.

Also, for anyone not familiar with them, the Gee Yung Institute has one of the best Lion Dance teams around.

Sil Lum Kuen, since you seem to know him, I'm just curious about a couple of things. First, how long has he been doing kickboxing? And does he teach kickboxing as a separate curriculum from fut ga, or is it combined? And, at the fight, who's idea was it to have 2 lions AND have some do a Hawaiian Chant? I think having to wait for all that to get over is what ****ed the Chinese guy off. Also, have you heard of a Jeffrey Lam? From what I've heard, he is also a fut ga teacher.

Train hard train smart!
Peace,
Gordon

FIRE HAWK
05-08-2001, 06:14 AM
Sil Lum Kuen ,I have decided to buy the Sil Lum Fut Ga Kuen Videos.Thanks for your opinion on the videos and the style.

General Kuan
05-09-2001, 12:33 PM
:mad: For your information. This message goes out to a Mr.Gordon, I would like to clarify some things that was said by you about the Lee family. First of all, you are entitled to your opinion. Second, if you dont know the truth behind the scene then dont speculate. I would like to set the record straight, I am a practioner of Sil Lum Fut Ga Kuen under Sifu Arthur Lee. Our style is one that is not flashy or fancy, it's main purpose is to be used for self defense. It is a straight forward style that should drop your opponent in a mere seconds. It is not like Wing Chun, and it's focus is training to utilize your Ma-Bu with every technique. It is not a overnight style and is respected by all have have come to experience it.
Sifu Arthur Lee is the only pupil picked by Sigung Lum Tai Young to teach this style after his passing in 1957.
Now on the subject of his son Harlan Lee, I can read by your post that you have some kind of resentment towards him! if this is true, then by all means you should drop by the school and introduce yourself. I am sure he would be happy to meet you face to face and introduce you to our style. Please dont think of this as a threat, I just want you to know how respected Harlan Lee is, and if you met him maybe you might change your tune that you have against him. I informed him about your comment, and all he said was people can talk all they want, that's somthing everyone has a right to. That's the kind of person he is, and part of the reason is because of his up bringing from his great father. But you see, when you diss him like how you did, it upsets me, because I consider them as my own family.
You have stated that you never heard about his accomplishments or how they hyped him up for the fights. Well maybe if you did the tournament circut yourself you would know. Two times he has defeated Jason Wong (Doc Fai Wongs Son) in compititions, he was so feared from his showing in the AAU Chinese Martial Arts Fighting tournaments, that Tat Mau Wong's top student Daniel Tomazaki didn't want to fight him at the Tiger Balm International Championships.
In 1991 he fought a Muay Thai fighter Sam Phimsoutham at the Chinese International Championships and beat him. Although he won, he was impressed with the powerful Muay Thai kicks that he faced. He became friends with Sam and even had him teaching at the San Francisco school. He started training with Sam's teacher "Master Toddy" who holds the record in the Guiness book of World records for producing the most Muay Thai Champions. Harlan took up Muay Thai because he felt that it was the best style to use in the ring. Kung Fu is good for the streets, but in the ring there are rules, and he felt that was restricting his art.
So to answear one of your questions: no, he did not combine Muay Thai with Sil Lum Fut Ga, he keeps it seperate when training and when teaching.
As far as the fight goes, we all asked him what happen, and he simply said that the better man won that night, but if you were at the fights, and if you were I know you saw this, he got head butted in the right eye. That head butt caused a fractured eye socket! now lets see you or any fighter fight with a eye socket that is hindering his vision. And get the story straight, he didn't get knock out, the ring doctor stop the fight. And if you were there, you could see that Harlan never gave up, he never stop trying. As quoted by Master Shawn Liu (USA coach for San Shou) "Harlan has the heart of a tiger, this is the kind of person I wish all fighters could be, his heart and determination are what we strive to achieve" now if he was such a loser, then why would Master Liu say that? and no,he is not a close friend of the family. It's because the Lee's have the respect of the Martial Arts community. Ask around San Francisco area, they all know about how devestating Fut Ga Kuen is and how respected and humble the Lee's are.
NO excuses, I am just stating the facts. I have seen Harlan train, he fractured a students hand with just a warm up kick, it fractured in 6 places. I also seen him bend the 6foot banana bag with his shin kicks, and if the Mafiuso clan trains with him, you know that holds merit.
So Mr.Gordon I hope this answeared all of your misguided information, like I said, feel free to drop by if you have any questions!
And Jeffery Lam is not a Sil Lum Fut Ga Kuen practitioner, he got the hand downs from his so called Uncle he got asked to leave the Gee Yung Martial Arts Association from Sigung Lum Tai Young himself. He wasn't teaching the curriculem of the system to the students, what he was teaching came from a book, and that's why he was asked to leave the Association. So in truth, Jeffery's Fut Ga is not at all pure.

General Kuan
05-09-2001, 12:44 PM
As far as the 2 Lions and the Hawaiian Chant, that was all a publicity stunt from the promoter himself (Matt Young) I thought it added a local flair to the hometown fighter. And in truth, if it were not for Harlan as the main event, I don't think the Blasidell would have sold out like it did. Look how empty the Art of War II was!

flashg7
05-09-2001, 02:13 PM
General Kuan,
I hope you had a chance to read my second post. I had apologized for the comments I had made in the first post. Thanks for the information regarding Harlan's decision to train in Muay Thai. What you said regarding muay thai being the best art for ring fighting is true and again, thanks for the information regarding his kickboxing record and training. Also, I heard that Harlan fractured a bone in his cheek, but didn't realize it was from a head butt. Again, I give him a lot credit for stepping in the ring to begin with, and even more credit for fighting almost the whole round with a broken eye socket! True fighting spirit!
Also, thanks for the info regarding Jeffrey Lam. I had heard his name mentioned before, and was wondering who he was. I wasn't trying to compare him with Harlan.
Thanks,
Gordon