PDA

View Full Version : Houtian/ straight line Bagua

NafAnal
04-04-2002, 02:01 PM
I'm guessing they are the same thing

There's some cool video clips of it on that cool emptyflower.com

A load of guys performing"straight line" bagua and xingyi

Any info on it guys? founder/ purpose/ flavour etc, I'm guessing a xingyi guy formulated it.... I thought he whole point of ba gua was the circle, so why do it in a straight line? the site is mainly a xingyi site, so it probably don't have much info on it. Truth is i can't be arsed to look cos the site's too big :)

count
04-05-2002, 11:16 AM
Many of our bagua forms are both circular and linear. Pre heaven and post heaven. The guy I think you are refering to also does Gong Bao Tien's style. Maybe Eight_Trigram or EvolutionFist could be more specific since they are closer relation to those folks, but I would like to take a look. Needless to say, bagua isn't all circle walking but clearly different from Hsing-I.

Rockwood
04-08-2002, 01:18 PM
Hi,
The clips in question at emptyflower.com are of Zhang Jun Feng in Taipei around 1960. He was a student of Gao Yi Sheng. The Gao bagua specializes in the 64 straight line forms. Every circular palm change is broken down into 8 strightline forms to further develop their particular skills.

Zhang and Gao were both also Xingyi experts so that may have influenced the style. But the 64 Hou Tien bagua forms are pure bagua when used in fighting.

Zhang's student was Hong Yi Sheng. Hong's student Luo De Xiu is very good at Gao style Bagua. When he visits the USA this summer he will be teaching it. Luo's skill is superb.

-JessO