PDA

View Full Version : Extended Absence

Sihing73
04-04-2002, 02:10 PM
Hello Everyone,

I saw a Neurosurgeon today and I require surgery to correct a disc problem. There is a possibility that even after recovery I may be limited in my training. I am posting this to advise everyone that I will most likely not be checking the boards on a regular basis over the next several weeks.

I would like to thank everyone for the well wishes and kind thoughts. I have also enjoyed the conversations over the past several months and I wish each and everyone of you the very best. I would like to be able to consider many of you as friends.

I will check my e-mail from time to time but I simply do not have the strength nor time to moderate or post regularily on the board at this time. Those wishing to contact me may do so via e-mail and if I can be of any assistance rest assured I will continue to do what I can. However, please understand if I do not reply quickly and also if I am absent from the board for some time. I hope to return once the doctors are done with me.

All in all though I want to leave you with these thoughts. No matter how bad we may think we have it there are always those worse off. Considering the plight of many in the world I am truly blessed.

Peace,

|
Dave

dfedorko@mindspring.com
05-04-2002, 12:23 PM
I know your pain and I am with you.

Damian

old jong
05-04-2002, 04:46 PM
Take a good rest and come back in shape!...All the best to you.

Sihing73
05-04-2002, 06:32 PM
Hello and Thank You,

I truly appreciate the kind thoughts and well wishes from everyone. I am back on the board though not to the extent I used to be. I got out of the hospital last Friday after two seperate attempts at the operation, due to complications. I will not bore everyone with the details but suffice it say that I am not my old self, yet but am working towards it ;)

I will say that I am considering integrating the use of a cane into my Wing Chun as I currently need one to walk. Who knows in a hundred years maybe I will be credited with adding this new "weapon" to the system.

Take care and I will talk to you from time to time. I will recover and resume training in the near future. In a way this is a good excuse for me to get back into shape :D

Peace,

Dave

anerlich
05-04-2002, 09:20 PM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I know a couple of senior MA who managed to improve various attributes during hospital stays, most notably flexibility in certain areas due to the decrease in muscle tone. It is always possible to work on something no matter what the circumstance, so I hope it works out this way for you as well.

As for the cane, I've been training uno baston dos manos with one for several years. Besides the mini-maglite keychain, it's still the only weapon you can legally take on an international flight. I plan to be cane carrying force to be reckoned with in my 90's and beyond. The father of one of my teachers (an ex-boxer, but still)actually bailed up a would be mugger with his cane. The mugger ran away and my sifu's dad chased him into a public toilet where he barricaded himself in a cubicle until the cops came. And yes, the mugger wanted the old guy charged, thecops fortunately didn't see it his way.

S.Teebas
05-05-2002, 12:56 AM
I will say that I am considering integrating the use of a cane into my Wing Chun as I currently need one to walk.

Do you think you could use the pole techniques/theories and adapt them to using a cane?

jesper
05-05-2002, 03:09 AM
About the cane. Check out some kali or escrima places in your neighbourhood and tell them your story.
Im sure you can learn something useful.

cheers and Speedy recovery

reneritchie
05-05-2002, 07:12 AM
Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery Dave. I'll be keeping a good thought for you.

Rgds,

RR

Sharky
05-05-2002, 08:37 AM
Take care, and best regards

urban tea
05-05-2002, 08:38 AM
Dave,

What is the problem with your health?

I doubt you need any surgery... I know a chinese medicine doctor in hong kong..who can treat you. Many people have come to him with xrays and all these stories of how they need surgery this or that from what western doctors have told him and the chinese doctor has treated them well...

My friend had surgery on his knee and now the chinese doctor is treating his knee and making it much better, but he said he never needed surgery in the first place.

email me "urbantea@Hongkong.com"

I don't konw if you have time or take me serious enough to come to hk to get help or not...but the least I can do is offer this help to you.

Sihing73
05-05-2002, 09:44 AM
Hi Guys,

Once again I am very thankful for the kind thoughts and well wishes extended my way. I truly do appreciate it though I hardly deserve it :o .

anerlich,
I have been fortunate enough to train in the Pekiti Tirsia system for more than 10 years now. Though my training has been sporadic, I spend most of my time on Wing Chun ;). I am however very good friends with a very high level practicianer of this art and we have many drills and applicaitons for the cane. Thanks for the suggestion though and I believe that all arts have merit and if you keep your eyes open you may be surprised at what you find.

S.Teebas,
While some of the techniques/concepts can doubtless be applied from the pole, it would not carry over directly. The balance of the cane owuld be different, the handle or crook will both offest the balance and provide for new and different applications. The length will also modify how you utilize the cane as compared to the pole. Still, it is interesting to play with the cane and see what
carries ove from the pole.

jesper,
Thanks for the suggestion. As I already mentioned I have been lucky enough to have been exposed to the Pekiti Tirsia system. My previous training in WT introduced me to the Rene Latosa system but I found it not to my liking. I like the PT system better in terms of footwork and bodyweight.

reneritchie, Sharky,
Thanks Rene and Sharky I appreciate it. :)

urban tea,
While I do appreciate the offer I have already had the surgery done. I have a physical condition which has been present since birth. This has never stopped me from doing anything nor is it noticable to most people but I have a slight curvature of the spine. Over the years, perhaps as a result of some past physical activities, there has been some degeneration of my spinal cord, in addition I have a very narrow spinal canal. I went into the hospital for a herniated disc but upon opening me up they discovered the disc had ruptured. While there may have been options other than surgery, it seemed that surgery was the quickest method for me to get back to my life and so I opted for it. Still I do appreciate your offer and if I am able to ever visit Hong Kong, lord knows I want to ;) though the wife is against it, perhaps we can look each other up.

Once again thanks to everyone for the kind thoughts.

Peace,

Dave

DelicateSound
05-05-2002, 10:05 AM
Hope you're back to your best soon mate.

NOTE TO SELF: Never attack a bloke with a cane :)