PDA

View Full Version : some thoughts on kung fu as pure body mechanics....

neptunesfall
04-04-2002, 03:04 PM
hey everyone whats up. i still can't get this avatar fixed so ignore it.
anyway. as body mechanics, i see mostly 3 principles - twisting, linear and circular.
my explaination of these three principles;
twisting [also known as spiraling, i think] - relies [mostly] on the core strength of the body, ie. using the muscles located down the center of the body, abs [waist rotation] etc. in a twisting motion. uses the entire body. i have experience in bagua, so forgive me if comparing it to bagua is way off base. as an example; steal stepping, and shuai chiao throws known as neck surrounding, pulling.
linear - the body propelled in straight lines, using the legs and proper posture as power generation, like hsing i or karate and external styles of kung fu.
circular - also uses waist twisting motion, but more of a linear approach, like in tai chi. like brush knee twist step, as an example. also in a lot of external kung fu styles.

i'm not exactly sure where this post is going....i just want to get some views and corrections if i'm wrong and maybe get a discussion going on which you prefer and why, ideas on developing power in these areas, anything. the theories of kung fu body mechanics is something i've been getting into lately, ie. training to move and generate power with perfect posture instead of just specific techniques and training the theories of movements and structure. any how. i'm off to work out in a minute, so....hopefully i'll have started a constructive thread.

NafAnal
04-04-2002, 03:08 PM
"linear - the body propelled in straight lines, using the legs and proper posture as power generation, like hsing i..."

I thought hsing-i externally looked very linear but internally has a lot of spiralling energy in it. I think this comes out when you see someone do the spear forms and you see the speartip twirl around as the guy thrusts.....

and what is up with your avatar?

Sharky
04-04-2002, 03:49 PM
who the hell is that piece of mess in your avatar?

ewallace
04-04-2002, 03:52 PM
the chick from Grounded for Life on Fox network

NafAnal
04-04-2002, 04:50 PM
she mings

Sharky
04-04-2002, 04:57 PM
lawl

NafAnal
04-04-2002, 05:07 PM
what's that mean dude?

Sharky
04-04-2002, 05:13 PM
yanks: "lol"

NafAnal
04-04-2002, 05:23 PM
You've been spending too much time with those **** yanks, picking up some of their gay habits. At least on this board we can't hear their godawful accents.

Sharky
04-04-2002, 05:27 PM
sar·casm **Pronunciation Key**(särkzm)
n.
1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.
3. The use of sarcasm. See Synonyms at wit1.

108kuen
04-04-2002, 06:06 PM
The twisting root is similar to what I do.....err, try to do.

NafAnal
04-04-2002, 06:08 PM
Yeah i found something similar while doing standing, wrapping the fascia around the thighs kinda makes you drill into the ground. You can apply this to a fighting stance and can launch a flow of momentum up your body with a spiralling quality from the root up. That linear but spiralling quality i mentioned earlier. Also there's the scapula and spine on top of the elbow and stuff. I'm sure there's lots of other little details. All done together of course.

I just need to practice more, but don't we all?

NafAnal
04-04-2002, 06:11 PM
Hey wasn't there a post by Water dragon in this thread?

Water Dragon
04-04-2002, 06:13 PM
Yeah, I wrote too hastily. It was incoherent. I'm gonna give it another shot later if people start discussing the topic.

NafAnal
04-04-2002, 06:15 PM
ah ic

furry muff

Stacey
04-04-2002, 08:30 PM
the girl on grounded for life is both ugly and rediculously hot.

I don't think those jings seperate too much. One is simply a higher frequency of the other.

Then there is whole body rotation and using those jing while moving on your feet and staying rooted while fluid without losing any power or mobility.

heeee haw.

Mr Punch
04-05-2002, 06:45 AM
Just wrote a detailed reply. Lost it to the intricacies of the Preview... That's twice today:mad:. You all'll just have to wait longer for my pearls of wisdom I'm afraid, gotta go for a beer.:D