PDA

View Full Version : Everyone going, good luck in St. Pete!

SaMantis
04-04-2002, 04:15 PM
I'm looking forward to meeting the folks I've chatted with on this board!

(I'm not looking so forward to competing ... ugh, butterflies) :(

Good luck, everyone!

Sam

isol8d
04-08-2002, 01:29 PM
hey SaMantis, what group did you compete with?

Congrats to everybody who competed, it was fun watching.

Did anyone else think there was a little too much Tai Chi for the masters demo?

NorthernMantis
04-08-2002, 02:20 PM
My friend went tnad said there was way too much taiji. On the other hand he said the wah lum guys were good! Great job guys. Sorry I couldn't make it.:cool:

SaMantis
04-08-2002, 02:49 PM
Sorry you couldn't make it, NM ... it was a good time!

I competed in women's beginner, long/short/hand forms. Not many of us at all (6 at the most), but it seemed like everyone was at about the same skill level so the scoring was tight. It was good competition.

Willis Mui and Jamaree Valeriano took men's and women's northern grand champion titles, and I believe men & women's southern were taken by Lee Koon Hung CLF students (I can't remember their names).

Yeah, there was way too much tai chi at the masters' demo. I thought it was shorter than last year, too. The sword form at the very end was nice, though ... "very nice..." :p

isol8d
04-09-2002, 05:45 AM
"very nice" :D

I missed your group performing in the morning, as I drove a little bit too far and had to back track to the arena. I probably got into the arena @12-12:30.

Some very impressive kung fu out there. I kind of regret not competing now, but that's what the tournament in November is for!

freezeme4
04-09-2002, 07:55 PM
Just to set the record striaght. Niki Bruscino won women's southern grand champion and Alex Kuk won mens southern. Both train under sifu John Wai at the Florida Kung Fu Academy.

SaMantis
04-09-2002, 09:19 PM
Thanks, freezeme4 ... obviously i'm terrible at remembering names & schools! :)

yu shan
04-09-2002, 09:46 PM
unfortunately, I could not attend Nick`s tournament. I had spent two-weeks in Taiwan with Pong Lai, and his Shrfu Shr ZhengZhong. I could not get down to St Pete for that weekend.

SaMantis, how did you make out?

don`t you question why you see so much tai chi at these so called Masters Demos?

SaMantis
04-10-2002, 10:02 AM
hi yu shan,

sorry you couldn't make it. I saw a couple of PL t-shirts in the crowd but lost them before I could say hello.

I did OK, placed 2nd in broadsword. Completely forgot straight form about halfway through and had to kind of fake my way into the next section. Didn't look good, though. :( But overall I had fun.

I didn't question the overrepresentation of tai chi too much. Seemed more like a scheduling glitch than anything else. There were a few external demos, too. But there were fewer schools overall this year. Politics or just less advertising, I don't know.

I forgot to mention the lion dancers who opened the demo, from White Leopard. Good acrobatics, really expressive lions (big, hairy northern-style!).

vixie
04-10-2002, 12:35 PM
definately too much tai chi in the demo...impressive, nevertheless...especially the wu dong girl at the end...the girl was graceful as he11....however, i would like to have seen more eat-you-alive-tiger-coming-down-the-mountain-ferocious kung fu.

*grrrrrrrr*

vixie:D

PorcelainMantis
04-10-2002, 03:22 PM
SaMantis....
The Lion at the opening ceremony was done by a Wah Lum sifu, Sifu Dale Herring (sp?) of Gainseville, Fl., I believe. From what I know he used to be one of Sifu Tom Haas' students. Also, the lion they used is a Southern Lion, the Northern ones have really long hair, look almost like a big puppy. But I do agree they did a great job!

SaMantis
04-10-2002, 03:57 PM
Porcelain Mantis,

Actually I was talking about the master's demo that night -- those were northern lions. But Sifu Herring & crew did a great job at the opening ceremonies, I agree! :)

yu shan
04-10-2002, 04:26 PM
hi PorcelainMantis,

If Shrfu Dale performed lion, you definitely had a sensational show. I only know one other person that is better, my Shrfu. If Bruce is you teacher, tell him I said hello. We`ve been through alot together.

vixie,

There is a trend in the last few years, more mundane tai chi performances and alot less advanced CMA. Sometimes I`d think it would be better to see young Shrfu`s blast out some goods, rather than the same old stuff!

SaMantis

Key word "fun" To me it`s important to have this when competing, takes the edge off. Glad to hear ya kepted going and didn`t freeze on strght form. Congrats on your weapon division!

PorcelainMantis
04-10-2002, 07:12 PM
SaMantis~Oops! My bad! We didn't stay for the master's demo (I got kicked in knee while sparring, so we bailed early!)
Yu Shan...Yes, my Sifu is Bruce...and you are...Sifu Leroy? If so, it's an honor to talk to you...we have you to thank for the hands with our horse stances! ( I hope I'm talking to the right person!)

:)

isol8d
04-11-2002, 06:35 AM
I missed the opening by driving way too far, but the opening of the Masters Demo, those were some really well done Lions. They looked really nice, and they obviously put a lot of hard work in their performance. I could have sworn they were Southern lions, but my memory is vague at the moment, and my film isn't developed.

There was some impressive Tai Chi done by the masters, but I much preffered the kung fu demos by Sifu Tu & Sifu Wei. It's awesome to see that kind of skill.

Frogman
04-11-2002, 09:13 AM
I enjoyed the competition more then the master demo, personally. The loin dance at night was awesome, did you see the hand come out of the mouth? That must be some white panther move!! There was a lot of Tai Chi, thing is you can see what they’re doing. Sifu Tou (sp?) was very explosive with the Plum Flower PM, and the two person weapons forms were cool. Of course, the young lady at the end was a great way to end the show. I think I’m in love!! It seemed to be shorter this year, the crowd was small and those quiet moments I almost fell a sleep, it was a long day. I did not compete due to my work schedule but I’m glad I went to see everyone doing their thing. Does anyone know the black guy with the rope dart, he was there last year and has obviously been practicing. I have played with a rope dart and am more dangerous to myself then anything. “Make it look easy that what I say.” Rob Zombie.
The whole thing makes me want to do push ups, and yes by all means more fierce tiger.
Did any one catch the Wah Lum Tampa grand opening the week prior? An out standing display of KF fellowship, talent, and support of the KF community. I think I’m all fu’ed up.

Peace Out Brothers.
RibHit
fm

yu shan
04-11-2002, 04:01 PM
Hi PorcelainMantis,

not leroy, came from the same AD clan. i did WL for about 11 years, chose to persue another Mantis style. Good luck to you.

PorcelainMantis
04-12-2002, 12:57 PM
Hi Yu Shan, I will tell my Sifu you send your greetings!

Frogman, I was at the Tampa Grand Opening (head of one of the 10 lions!) and my boyfriend performed whip chain. It was awesome to get to meet so many of my Wah Lum brothers and sisters, and everyone did an awesome job! :)