PDA

View Full Version : Tips on how to become as flexible as this?

XiaoLong
04-04-2002, 04:51 PM
Felixible boy (http://www.boy9.com) - of course a lot of practise but how many times a day etc is best for you?

Royal Dragon
04-04-2002, 07:11 PM
it's no biggie, she does gymnastics 4 times a week for 4 hours at a time with about 20-30 minutes of stretching a class.
It's all a matter of how, and WHEN you stretch.

Basically you want to be super hot, like after dancing, Tae Bo or a good hard forms session. THEN stretch holding each exercise for about 2 minutes. Switch to the other side of the same stretch, or move on to the next stretching exercise.

DON'T do balistic momentum stretching, it can cause small tears in the muscles and over time stiffen you up, especially as you age and train less and less. Always HOLD your stretches, like a yoga posture. this is how both my daughter's coaches do things, and how "I" got to full splits, legs locked COLD no warmup when I was younger (mid 20's).

Hold each for two mintes, but no more than 3.

It's the stretching when HOT that does it quickly and easily.

Stretching cold is only for a warmup, and should not be done for more than a half a minute. :p

Royal Dragon

wushu chik
04-05-2002, 12:39 AM
I, as well as about 6 of my students, can do this. It's not hard getting your foot up there, it's harder to stay standing while keeping it there. Stretch a lot, like RD said. Make sure that you stretch all different directions, because it takes a lot of different muscles to help with this. It's fun in the right atmosphere!!!:D

~Wen~

Ryu
04-05-2002, 12:49 AM
Can I be in that atmosphere?? :D

On a serious note, Wushu, did you see the Kung Fu documentary on the Discovery Channel yesterday? They had a segment on wushu competition and some female champs. Man, grace and beauty. The women competing had the heart of the toughest athelete. Tough as nails too! :)
sigh.... my kingdom for a tough as nails woman...

:(
I like tough as nails women... I'll never be happily married, will I?

LOL

Ryu

wushu chik
04-05-2002, 01:06 AM
Ryu.....If you marry me, you will be golden, in my book anyways! And, was this documentary about that Wushu Champion girl from the Beijing Wushu Team. Talked about her being married, but never seeing her husband because she's always training, etc.? If so, I have it! It was a great documentary on Wushu!

~Wen~

Kristoffer
04-05-2002, 02:32 AM
Wushu Chik - U wanna give me a streching program so I can do that too? :) Would be cool.. thx

wushu chik
04-05-2002, 03:39 AM
Kristoffer~
The best way to stretch for this is...stand against a wall...have somebody lift your legs up as far as they can go without hurting yourself..pain is good, but too much is bad. Start with stretching your leg straight up in front of you...remember to resist when they are stretching you. Stretch for about 1 minute...then have the person move your leg higher.....stretch there for about another 30 to 45 seconds. Move to the other leg. Then turn to your side against the wall, and stretch with your leg to the side, and repeat the same process....then move so your chest is agains the wall, and repeat the same process. Remember, resistance is the key...it builds your stamina, and loosens you up, so you can go higher. I almost guarantee, if you do this at least ONCE A DAY, you will be able to do that in 6 months! It only took one of my students 3 weeks to be able to do it....and she wasn't very flexible. But, when it comes to stetching my students, I am horribly mean! I make them REALLY STRETCH because they need to be flexible! If you want more info...PM me.

~Wen~

Kristoffer
04-05-2002, 04:06 AM
Wow, Thank you alot!!
I'll PM you if I have more questions in the future. You sure know your stuff :)

Hey Ryu! 2 words: ~Marry her~ :D

wushu chik
04-13-2002, 12:56 AM
See guys, there are some people that DO love me.....

~Wen~

Mr Punch
04-13-2002, 01:04 AM
So you start facing sideways from the wall, then turn towards it? what happens if your friend is too puny to lift your leg that high!!!?:rolleyes: I don't think my woman wants to work out at the same time!

Used to be able to do the splits... too old now!

wushu chik
04-13-2002, 01:30 AM
Usually, when it comes time for streching and stuff...my students pair up really fast...and when there's an odd person...I GET TO BE THE MEAN ONE....ha ha ha hahaha.......and if i see people slacking..all I have to say is "Do you want ME to stretch ya?" and i see their foot go about 6-12 inches higher!!! Works well for me!!

Kristoffer
04-13-2002, 09:38 AM
lol :D