PDA

View Full Version : Relaxing the shoulders

gnugear
04-04-2002, 05:52 PM
What do you guys do to relax the shoulders?

I'm talking about having them really melt down.

I'm kind of broad chested, so it's tough to keep the shoulders relaxed, and still maintain an "elbows in" position without some tension.

yuanfen
04-04-2002, 05:54 PM
Relaxed air punching-lots and lots of them.

WCJoe
04-04-2002, 06:59 PM
yeah i do that, but i also roll out my shoulders in between every few sets of combos.

kj
04-04-2002, 07:11 PM
What do you guys do to relax the shoulders?

IME, there are several things that will almost certainly inhibit the ability to achieve and maintain relaxed and dropped shoulders:

a) An insufficiently trained "horse."

Without a sufficiently strong horse to support the body and maintain proper posture, the upper body will almost inevitably try to "help" by tensing or raising. See Joakim's contribution on "No Root - No Skill." The horse and stance is developed by doing a slow and precise first set, and also in other elements of practice (the other sets, wall bag, air punching, chi sau, etc.).

b) Trying to be "powerful" or "fast."

Trying to be "powerful and fast" will almost guarantee to incorporate tension that will inhibit the ability to sufficiently sink the shoulders. Shoulders and elbows connect, so what happens with one impacts the other, for better or worse. Aim for sunken, heavy elbows; this can't be achieved if shoulders are raised or tense.

It is a virtual dichotomy to depend on athletic power and speed while sufficiently relaxing the shoulder girdle and torso. A different kind of "incidental" and very substantial power can be developed when the shoulders and torso are relaxed, and in combination with a properly aligned posture and rooted stance. "Who gets there first" is more important than speed; for this, focus on constant and precise positioning and intent.

c) Imperfect practice, or not enough perfect practice.

Like the old adage says "Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." Self-correct, and ask your partners to correct you whenever the shoulders tense, rise, or fail to remain properly sunken. Constantly monitor and check yourself during solo exercises like the punching practice Yuanfan described. Stay in your best training stance when doing air punches also, to simultaneously develop the stance. Use a mirror when possible.

d) Using shoulders to lift the arms.

Sink and settle the shoulders even when the arms are high or being raised. "Allow" the arm to move and rotate within the shoulder joint, but don't lift with the entire shoulder girdle or large muscles of the torso. Maintain integrity of the shoulder, torso, and stance, and don't compromise these when moving the arm(s).

It can be a very good thing to let the body drive the arms, but not such a good idea to allow the arms to drive or control the body!

e) Training like a macho-man.

Think and train like a woman instead. ;)

A few thoughts anyway. Good luck in your training and development.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

Roy D. Anthony
04-04-2002, 11:43 PM
Hi Kathy Jo, sorry I missed you message to me . here is my e-mail addy for future announcements. roy_d_anthony@hotmail.com. Ty in advance.

IronFist
04-05-2002, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by gnugear
I'm kind of broad chested, so it's tough to keep the shoulders relaxed, and still maintain an "elbows in" position without some tension.

Yeah dude, me too. I have really wide shoulders so it's hard to keep them in the right position AND maintain the centerline.

IronFist

gnugear
04-05-2002, 01:09 AM
I suppose I just carry the weight of the world.

I guess someone has to do it.:D

Actually after working out tonight, I found that my shoulders relaxed after 5 minutes of turning. Me thinks I need to condition my body more.

stuartm
04-05-2002, 01:45 AM
I would agree with yuanfen. Most people get aching shoulders because their bong sau is too high.

gnugear
04-05-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by stuartm
I would agree with yuanfen. Most people get aching shoulders because their bong sau is too high.

I'm actually talking about shoulder tension in general ... not just training. I've tried to just let them sink but they always "rise" again.

Maybe it's just having the ability to recognise stress in your body.