PDA

View Full Version : Who practices in front of a mirror?

IronFist
04-04-2002, 08:31 PM
No sick jokes please :P

When you do forms and stuff, do you practice in front of a mirror to check your form? How often?

IronFist

Wingman
04-04-2002, 08:37 PM
Performing your forms in front of the mirror is a good idea. It is particularly useful if no one is there to correct you.

I often do SLT in front of the mirror after I wake up in the morning.

IronFist
04-04-2002, 08:39 PM
It is particularly useful if no one is there to correct you.

Yeah, that's me :)

I've got a big mirror in my room and I've been using it, so I just wanted to make sure this couldn't lead to any bad habbits.

IronFist

WCJoe
04-04-2002, 09:08 PM
Actually, mirrors are great tools for martial arts. We have a wall of mirrors where I practice wing chun. I find it very useful for correcting form and for use with punching on different levels. Not punching the mirror, but rather punching at your mirror image.

straight blast
04-04-2002, 10:21 PM
When I moved into my new place up here I was stoked to discover that my room has floor to ceiling mirrors on one wall. I suspect that the last owners of this house were a bit kinky!
Nonetheless I practise SLT in front of it at least twice a day. Always gotta watch the shoulders...they get a little excited & want to be part of the fun.

Plus I just love looking at my own reflection...mwah! :D

gnugear
04-04-2002, 11:17 PM
How about staring at your reflection in the window ....

I'm sure that counts for something ... plus the neighbors find it entertaining.

PHILBERT
04-04-2002, 11:25 PM
I have 3 closets in my room and 1 of them has 2 doors (sliding) and has mirrors on them. So I practice in front of it since I got the most room right there. My room is pretty big and use the whole room to practice, but do most in front of the mirror.

Nat from UK
04-05-2002, 12:33 AM
Try adding your centre line and your gates to the mirror using decorating tape (easily removable and non marking) .

You can then check that the centre stays true when pivoting and kicking etc

It is a must that even if our Wing Chun sucks we got look good for the ladies :D

Nat From UK

Akuma
04-08-2002, 05:13 PM
i praccy my moves in front of the bathroom mirror quite a bit :)

red5angel
04-08-2002, 05:22 PM
Ironfist, it is going to be a must in your situation. This way you can guage what you see in your videos and books (and hopefully once you get to an instructor for some help) and see if what you are doing is close to what they are doing.
I dont think anyone will tell you it is a bad idea!

[Censored]
04-08-2002, 07:58 PM
We have a wall of mirrors where I practice wing chun

Han is hiding behind one of them, but which one? Watch out!

;)

anerlich
04-08-2002, 10:08 PM
Our school has a wall of mirrors right in front of the normal training orientation, so it's kind of difficult to avoid.

Mirrors are one of the best learning tools there is. That said, much of Wing Chun needs to be "felt" rather than just seen. Watching the mirror all the time can distract you from what your proprioception and mechanoreception are trying to tell you about the way you are moving. Visual senses tell you only part of the story.

So practice without the mirror as well.