PDA

View Full Version : Triangle Foot work in Pak Mei ,Dragon Style ,Southern Mantis how does it work

FIRE HAWK
03-28-2001, 03:56 PM
How does triangle footwork work in these styles? How does one learn triangle foot work.

David
03-29-2001, 12:05 PM
Is this the turning step?

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
-- Hong Kong Phooey

Rolling Elbow
03-30-2001, 12:26 AM
I think i can tackle this one...

We use angling footwork in budo taijutsu and i know the FMA also use the male-female triangle foot patterns.

Essentially all you have to do is think about moving off the center line of your opponent when he attacks. If you can imagine an X emerging from the center of the opponents body, you can pick one of four directions when he attacks. Thsi means you are using 45 degree angles to the front and back SIDES of the opponent.

As he/she moves, you need to visualize this X moving with him and continously shift and attack the openings that are available to you during your transitory state. Remember though, it can be a small or large shift, its up to you.

As for learning it, place two sticks on the ground in a triangle (or tape marks) and practice moving and blocking while counter striking to the outside of the sticks. This means you'll start where both sticks or markings meet, and move outward. From there you will see how to apply it movign back as well. Simple, u probably have already been taught the principle without knowing it.

Michael Panzerotti
Taijutsu Nobody from the Great White North.

tnwingtsun
03-31-2001, 01:04 AM
There is also a wedge theory interwoven
into this footwork.
Thats what I like about Bai Mei/Wingtsun's footwork
theory,they are very close on this aspect.
If you want to split a log you would use a wedge,
rely on bone structure rather than muscle,
very effective.