PDA

View Full Version : Should WC people condition their first knuckle?

IronFist
04-04-2002, 08:34 PM
Ok, on wallbag punching, you usually use the lower three knuckles like in a normal WC punch. Should part of the time also be spent hitting with the top two knuckles (like a "normal," non-WC punch?) I know WC'ers don't try to hit like that, but what if you miss a punch or something and make contact with the first knuckle, if it's unconditioned to take a hit?

Is it a good idea to condition the top knuckle, too?

IronFist

Gandolf269
04-04-2002, 08:41 PM
It's my belief that you shouldn't train incorrectly (i.e punching with the top two knuckles. Turn the time you would have waisted into productive training by doing more punches with the lower three. That way you will be less likely to make the mistake of hitting with the top two knuckles when it really counts.

WCJoe
04-04-2002, 09:25 PM
Honestly, conditioning your top knuckles won't make that much of a difference. One, just do the correct form because then there's more of a chance you'll do it correctly in a fight. Two, after a few punches in a fight, you're going to tear your hands apart whether they are conditioned or not. So just keep on pounding away in the correct form.

fmann
04-04-2002, 10:53 PM
The first two metacarpals are the strongest in the hand. The last metacarpal, because it can "bend" slightly, is the weakest metacarpal bone in the hand. So if you punch with good structure (aka not c ocking the fist to one side or another), you may hit with the first 2 knuckles, the last 3, or the whole fist may make some sort of contact.

So there's really no point in trying to condition 1 set of knuckles -- I agree with WCJoe. Just work on your technique, punch at different levels, and see where it goes.