PDA

View Full Version : Piercing Palm...

Eight_Triagram_Boxer
04-04-2002, 10:07 PM
Just wanted to throw this out... I was wondering how everyone uses their piercing palm. How do you form the hand and what is an application, etc...

Thanks..

cherrypraxis
04-04-2002, 10:53 PM
hello sihing!

how do i form my piercing palm? i take a needle and poke a hole on either of my palms with the needle sticking out, hence forming a "piercing palm" and hope that the blood emitting from the said holes will scare the living daylights out of my invisible opponents!

hehe

well, either that or follow what you do in class mindlessly and say: YES!!!!

:D

prana
04-04-2002, 11:00 PM
lol

thats gotta bite :D

Greets all !

dfedorko@mindspring.com
04-05-2002, 04:19 AM
Not familiar with the "piercing palm". What is it and is it related to related to any other palm art that we discuss on this website?

Damian

RAF
04-05-2002, 08:49 AM
Chuan Zhang

http://www.wutangcenter.com/baguaposts.htm

You might also find the piercing palm in 8 Step praying mantis since they incorporated techniques from both bagua and xing yi into their forms.

There are also ways to use the piercing palm to grab if you miss the strike.

Good luck.

dfedorko@mindspring.com
04-05-2002, 09:25 AM
Checked that site out but, unless I am blind, I couldn't see how the Piercing Palm is used. The other seven were understandable. I appreciated the way the strikes were demonstrated. Reminds me of trees. But even the demo of the Piercing Palm makes me think that the idea is to pierce whatever it hits (part of the body). Does intent have anything to do with the Piercing Palm?? It appeared that the demonstrater was using some type of finger-tip strike and not the palm.

Damian

count
04-05-2002, 10:25 AM
Bob is correct. One should not get hung up on the hand as the palm. It is the whole body that is the palm. Just a suggestion though. We use piercing palm in many pheonix techniques and it is a best to focus on the scapula for thrusting more than the arm. ;)

Eight_Triagram_Boxer
04-08-2002, 04:29 PM
While I don't disagree with you...I was specifically asking how you form your palm, hand, and what applications you have for the piercing palm.

Kevin Wallbridge
04-08-2002, 09:46 PM
I tried to answer this question before but the forum wouldn't let me in. I'll try again.

The fingers are held together, with thumb tucked against the distal head of the 2nd metacarpal (base of the index finger). Imagine the palm condensing around the Laogong region in the centre. The index finger is held the straightest. There is a subtle rotation of the bones of the hands (from radial to ulnar) which gives structure strength to the fingers. This means that each finger must have its own natural spiral, rather than just relying on the palm shape alone.

As for applications, simply hit any soft target and don't stop to survey the damage. Anytime a short spiral can unwind from the point of contact a pierce can open into the target. The key to usage is accuracy. Blood vessels, nerves, motor plate receptors in the centre of muscles bellies, tendons, etc.

Ray Pina
04-10-2002, 12:35 PM
Guys, we all know that the palm is much more then just the palm. Like saying a punch is more then the fist.

Honestly, my training brother's post is somewhat of a troll. Training with the 4th genartion inheritor of the Imperial Palace Ba Gua system, he knows the answer.

There tends to be a holier then thou attitude on this forum at times, and he wanted to cut to the meat and potatoes and see people's level of understanding, which could be viewed studying any palm.

Saying something so broad as that is really not an answer at all.

count
04-10-2002, 12:58 PM
EF,
Seems like Kevin gave you a good physical description of a piercing palm. Bob even posted a link with a photo at the top of the page showing it. What more can be discussed on the web. Every teachers (and students) understanding of applications is at different levels of experience. If what he wanted was to understand someone elses level, there is only one way for that.;)

count
04-10-2002, 12:59 PM
Bob beat me to the strike.:D

RAF
04-10-2002, 03:20 PM
Hello Count:

Since this was troll of sorts, I think its time to purge.

What do you think?

To purge or not to purge, that is the urge!

count
04-10-2002, 04:11 PM
I agree. Say, I noticed James Guo made a post at emptyflower.com. He told an interesting story about Grandmaster Liu and discussed collapsing palm (ta zhang). While we are on the subject of palm strikes, how do you guys use the collapsing palm. How do you train it and what are some of the applications you like for it?

Ray Pina
04-11-2002, 07:52 AM
Hey guys, didn't mean any disrespect, just standing by my training brother.

I'd have to let him answer Ba Gua questions, because that is his focus, training with my master privately or semi-privately.

My focus is E-Chuan. It's all in there but its a more of a put the gloves on and let's do it aproach. Names don't come up that often.

Of coarse I'm still studying the Hsing-I and Ba Gua, walking, drilling fist, finding the source of power, ect.. But I don't think my stuff looks like Ba Gua. In a wierd transition phase right now. Its funny, it looks like boxing maybe from a far glance, but zoom in and all the principles are there.

Real funny. You can't punch me but I can punch you -- even if you have longer arms.

You can't kick me but I can kick you (well, not yet, but soon).

Funny, I know. Unbelievable? I know it sounds that way too. If I heard someone post this I'd say you're full of $hit, get off the pipe. But there's a reason my brother and I take the commute we take (3 hours) to go where we go to train.

razakdigital
04-11-2002, 07:57 AM
Hello all I just wanted to add some more info to help in answering any questions for issues with Piercing Palm...As my old friends on KFO is aware I haven't been on this board for awhile...so I'm adding this link on my own to shed further light on the subject...

Hello Eight if you want to see piercing palms in action you need to head Uptown!!! LOL You know where we are at you are always welcome!

The articles name is Piercing Palm of Yin Style Ba Gua Zhang

http://www.blacktaoist.com/piercing%20palm%20of%20yin%20style.html

Enjoy!!!

RAF
04-11-2002, 09:13 AM
EvolutionFist:

I got ya!

These boards are no substitute for real discussions.

Eight_Triagram_Boxer
04-11-2002, 03:36 PM
Razak...What's up man? Nice to have you back. Thanks for the invite! You guys train at such weird hours it's hard for me to match my schedule, but when I can I'll be up there. I know what your piercing palm is like, I just wanted to hear what others used it for. So far all I have to go on is my teacher's and yours...

Count, yes, we do have Ta Zhang. We usually use it to deflect and "destroy" incoming attacks of the arms and legs. In some cases it can be used to strike the body but it really depends on the situation as you know...

Ray, you fight well, it's ok if you can't tell what it is. Effectiveness is important.

I'm not a troll... :p