PDA

View Full Version : Brains?

Ray Pina
04-05-2002, 11:12 AM
How important of a factor? How do you train your mind?

Without good technique one has nothing but there God given ability, how fast they can run or how high they can jump how hard they can hit. These can be worked on, but one can never assume that they possess the ultimate ability. So technique is the No. 1 priority.

But, when two people have good technique -- brains. Set up. Trap.

I enjoy chess. Forces one to understand the danger in over extending, the benefits of attacking weaknesses, position, and the all important set up. When you know what the other will do, almost has to do, then you have controlled them.

I also like to read -- philosphy, strategy, martial, history, science, ect -- I believe it is nutritious for the mind.

How about you?

ewallace
04-05-2002, 11:23 AM
I thoroughly enjoy chess. Having the ability to set up the other side based on the current board setup is good for creative thinking. When playing with another person, try setting a 3-5 second time limit for each move. Makes everything a little more interesting too.

Cody
04-08-2002, 03:18 PM
On strategy, I am not up to par. I think it is very important to know when it is right and efficient to move or to speak, and when not. I'm learning the hard way. On the more extreme end is cunning, which I do not have that at all.

Having the brains to perceive beyond appearances is one of the major keys to true success in MA, imo. To reject the mind's tendency to fill in the gaps, even with nonsense, if an occurrence doesn't quite fit, is necessary. To have the brains to know that you need to meet heart and spirit on their turf, and combine the knowledge, and to override many factors.

I train my mind by letting go of external doctrine and/or judgmental concerns, and being free of them. By taking a concept I find of serious and relevant interest and dumping it into my subconscious to see what surfaces. This is not a dialogue. It's an experience in being which works for me. Couple this with taking complete responsibility for who I am and what I do. In order to do what I describe, one needs to face the self. That part doesn't take brains so much. How it is done can take either a very conventional road or one that throws convention to the winds (not necessarily to point of anarchy, but that is an option). A matter of individual preference, not brains so much. Can be done many ways.

Cody

ps: wrote this just before site went down and saved it. Glad I did. mind is tired right now.

Ray Pina
04-08-2002, 03:23 PM
ewallace, I enjoy 5 minute games, preferrably as black.

The thing I like about speed chess, in relation to fighting, is that many times situations are no brainers. Keep pawn islands, control open files, move knights to the center over the wings to keep their options open. Stuff like that saves time. Also, I'll always swap. No brainer there too.

My openings in chess are like that also of fighting. One or two aproaches with vartiations occuring off of the response.

Chess is great -- though I just got my head handed to me by a 1750 player online. Too good. 1:00 game, just too fast for me against that skilled of a player. They guy was like a machine.

TjD
04-08-2002, 03:41 PM
along with chess, i really enjoy a good game of go

it has just as much strategy :) its an intense game

peace
trav

joedoe
04-08-2002, 03:56 PM
Intelligence is the most important thing.

Sharky
04-08-2002, 05:23 PM
I recently had a bday. I asked for a cheap chess set from my friend cos he wanted to get me a gift. He got me a simpsons chess set :p

I'm hoping to get into chess, learn tactics, and play a lot. Usually when i play now, i always pass up good chances to get the opponent into checkmate. I have a friend who has played a lot for 13 years, he can think so many moves ahead. I hope to learn from him.

Boxing is a game of chess. All fighting is. I think the study of MA is food for the mind too.

Meanwhile, i find writing lyrics very intellectually stimulating, i love increasing my vocabulary too. I love punchlines that make you think. I also go on the internet and read about stuff. Religion, politics, history, sports, stuff like sports sceince - enough to understand things that i want to understand. I don't like being told stuff, i'd rather research and find out myself - or if i'm told something i want a reason! Nah, i love learning about things that *I* want to learn about.

I just started some maths coursework, 1st question is about Russell's Paradox, yummy :)

This is the only part of the course i have found interesting so far!

Anyway i soon will be looking into buddhism and hinduism. 2 of my best friends are hindu, and i thought i should know about it. and buddhism is linked with CMA which i love, so i thought i'd look into that too :) I have done quite a lot of research on Islam, and a bit on christianity, i would like to read the bible one day, and also read the old testament. This way i can judge for myself.

Cheers

Edd

(what the hell am i babbling about in this post?)

diego
04-08-2002, 05:59 PM
rza as bobbi digital on digital bullet, track 17 hes spittn mathematix and the hook for the track he all THE LIES OF ILLUSION TO MYSELF I HAVE LIED.

thats been on my mind all day, you see the two meanings, no, then putem, together?.

straight blast
04-08-2002, 09:31 PM
I find that in a fight (or more specifically hard sparring) the analogy of "Rock, Paper, Scissors" is often more accurate than Chess. Often you are quite aware of the correct (instinctively trained, if that makes sense...should to all the JKD people) reponse or tactic, you just need to learn very quickly your opponent's habits.

Example: I love to surf. So does my Aikido buddy. Neither of us are particularly fond of cold water. For one whole winter we would play "Rock, Paper, Scissors" to see who would have to jump in the water first without testing the temperature. He didn't win once because I always watched the structure of his fist as he swung it down for the last time and swung mine a fraction of a second later, adjusting mine accordingly. After one whole winter he got wise to it.

I think the point that I'm trying to make is that Chess has too many variables, and can be played with time to think about your next move. RPS is faster, more direct and teaches you to outthink your opponent in a very short period of time. Good to train your brain.

And no, I can't play Chess for crap! :D

Man, I have been trying to post this for three days!

raving_limerick
04-08-2002, 09:37 PM
How does improvisation play into the ability to fight? Do you train it along with strategy, or is it considered less important than a set of known tactics? Personally, I'm far better at improvisation than set traps, so I tend to focus any mental training in the area on the various aspects of that.

scotty1
04-09-2002, 01:13 AM
Yeah Raving Limerick I prefer to improvise rather then be there thinking "if I do this, he'll do this, and then I can do THIS!!"

That's still brains though. And I only like to improvise the timing of situations and set pieces I have already studied or thought about.

For us little guys, brains are a matching up factor against all you fat ba*tards. Somebody who outweighs me in speed, strength, height, weight and brains is a right fukker.:)

ewallace
04-09-2002, 06:34 AM
That's why you speed up the chess game. And, think...multiple attackers :)

Mr Punch
04-09-2002, 07:00 AM
Now it's mostly been said :rolleyes:

EF: the no-brainer has always been my chess strategy, and in speed chess as in combat it sometimes suits quite nicely. I think the swapping becomes instinctive, like any trade-off in a fight. If it fails, you can always throw the board at your opponent.

TjD: all of my Japanese ma teachers recommend go. All of my Japanese friends take one look at my board and say: "That's not go!":( :confused: ... I take the no-brainer thing too far sometimes...

Unfortunately, I've just realised that I no longer give myself enough time for all the things I used to do to keep my head alive... :( reading (anything and everything), writing, playing chess, doing crosswords, meditating... I do think a good discussion/argument is undervalued though!

shaolinboxer
04-09-2002, 07:29 AM
Besides being infinitely useful, brains are also are delicious.

Ray Pina
04-09-2002, 07:32 AM
I'd like to learn go but don't know anyone who plays.

As far as fighting, I al;ways prefer set up, same as in chess. Takes the guessing game out and in fact, works more times then one may think.

As an example, I won't over protect my head, well in fact use body language to invite a face attack. Why? Because I know where they are going and I have a few direct counters for such an atack. Now if I over cover my head, maybe they attack low, maybe they'll try to get around with hooks. Too much guessing. Its abit of syphcology.

Many elemnets involved though. Leave the head somewhat open and appear to be closer then you really are to draw there attack. Stuff like that.

Its like offering someone a free pawn that they can't resist. But when they take it with their pawn gredaily, they realize that they opened a file allowing me to come in and grab a better piece.

Or something like that.

Also, that is why I like speed chess. Makes one think quickly, by the seat of their pants. I don't like untimed games because I tend to move quickly from habit, and always wind up changing the music, getting a drink, peeing, while the other decides what they want to do.

scotty1
04-09-2002, 07:42 AM
I think I need to think more when I spar. But maybe with a bit more intent than I normally do.