8. Krav Maga
7. TKD
6. Aikido
5. Juko Kai(lol)
4. Ninjutsu
3. Muay Thai
2. Karate
1. Shaolin Kung Fu

All I can say is LMFAO @ this show!! They gave no criteria for their choices, except bull like:

"For proving that size doesn't matter, BJJ takes our #10 spot"

norther practitioner
04-08-2002, 02:11 PM
What was the name of the show, when was it on? That is funny, but well shaolin kung fu is #1.....(lol) just joking!

Stranger
04-08-2002, 02:15 PM
It was really, really bad.

NorthernMantis
04-08-2002, 02:30 PM
Well I gotta give credit to the Israelis, the Krav Maga stuff looked pretty cool.

Why they put Tkd over Kali, Krav Maga, and Bjj as a tough art I'll never know:confused:

Grahf1
04-08-2002, 02:42 PM
They obviously weren't ranking the styles in terms of effectiveness.

But, what the hell were they ranking them for???? The whole thing seemed so pointless.

Badger
04-08-2002, 02:43 PM
I started watching a few minutes after it started...At the end of the Rickson section.

So this is the Top 10 Martial Arts...Top 10 what???..Most popular..best for combat.. or What???
:rolleyes:

Silly..Silly...Silly

Badger

Grahf1
04-08-2002, 02:47 PM
It was more of a "top ten for the hell of it".

It clearly wasn't based on popularity. After all, Juko Kai made the list.

It obviously wasn't based on combat effectiveness, after all, Juko Kai made the list.

And it obviously wasn't based on health and fitness. After all, Juko Kai made the list.

Ryu
04-08-2002, 03:48 PM
LOL!

Shadowboxer
04-08-2002, 03:49 PM
It was part of "Testosterone Week". But that doesn't really explain anything does it?

nightair
04-08-2002, 03:57 PM
That show and the people who made it are dumb

Budokan
04-08-2002, 04:38 PM
HAW! HAW! HAW! Great show on TLC.

:D

HAW HAW HAW!!! I suppose I could squeeze my style of shotokan in at about 2.5 since goju-ryu was the chosen karate style, but at least it ain't g*dd*mn LAST on the totem pole.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Funny, funny stuff. Even funnier, that JUDO-KAI, the nut kicking cult make it on to the list! And remember that chick who failed her judo-kai black belt test, but she wasn't knocked out, just "sleeping"? Yeah, she was on there with all the other little judo-kai clones. She had her kitty kicked by some guy. It was cute and made me kind of hot.

S.O.L. for BJJ, limping in last. Perhaps if they kicked more people in the balls the BJJ players might rank higher on TLC's list? It's gotta blow being beat out by judo-kai!--

:p

chokeyouout
04-08-2002, 05:14 PM
I wonder by what criteria these styles were judged?Maybe by what looks the deadliest?Which style is therotically the most devastating?I can relate this to football;Everybody either runs a 4-3 or a 3-4 defensive scheme.Anything else is a nice theory at best.

tri2bmt
04-08-2002, 05:16 PM
I knew shaolin was number one!
Sweet
BJJ last!
Sweeter

David Jamieson
04-08-2002, 05:50 PM
hey, the show was a promotion for all martial arts whether or not yours or mine was in it.

I liked it, it was light, but it was pretty fun.
At least it wasn't gardening or home renovations :D

peace
p.s how could Shaolin Kung fu not be #1? It's the grandaddy of them all. nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah. hahahaha.

Merryprankster
04-08-2002, 05:51 PM
All these arts are as nothing compared to the power of Kalari Payattu

Ryu
04-08-2002, 06:12 PM
I still say Rod "Juko-kai" is a sadist. He's gotta be.

Oh, and always remember it's juko kai, not JUDO kai! :mad:
LOL, don't mix those names please :D

Ryu

KungFuGuy!
04-08-2002, 06:14 PM
What was so bad about it? Other than the ranking part, it was a good show. They gave accurate depictions of all the features arts, and flew around the world to show authentic training. There was no BS or made up stuff, it was all accurate. What the hell is the problem?

Starchaser107
04-08-2002, 07:54 PM
merry prankster is that karai parayutt the indian martial art?,
anybody know what im talking abt.?

Budokan
04-08-2002, 08:34 PM
KungFuGuy is right. The show itself wasn't that bad. It presented the ten martial arts in about the way you'd expect for a general mass audience wathcing television. Still, the juko-kai cult and the fat chain-smoking aikidoka and having BJJ dog limp in last was all too sweet to hope for. Lots o' laughs all around.

Next time I'll tape it so I can watch it again and again when I should be training.:D

Zapf Dingbat
04-08-2002, 08:42 PM
Yeah I thought it was pretty good, giving the histories and extremely general aspects of the arts. It was definitely for mainstream audiences.

But then again.... what the **** was with the ranking?? I agree with everyone here, that they had nothing to base the ranking on. I guess it's something to keep the viewers on their toes. Even though Shaolin kung fu came out on top :D, it was really cheapened by the countdown.

Zapf Dingbat
04-08-2002, 08:43 PM
Plus, we got a peek at some REAL ULTIMATE POWER with that weird, slow-ass choreographed ninja attack from the bushes.

TOTALLY SWEET

Stranger
04-08-2002, 08:44 PM
I wish that they used real swords rather than aluminum foil wushu swords for the Shaolin segment. That's just my personal interest and preference.

If you overlook the fact that the whole "Top 10" premise was ridiculous, it wasn't that bad, but that is a lot to overlook.

Budokan
04-08-2002, 08:48 PM
I missed the first segment. Did they give any justification for these rankings then? To be honest, I don't know what criteria they used to rank these styles at all and the joker in the pack--juko kai--doesn't seem to fit any since it's a cult and the other martial arts most definitely arent.

Were they ranked by "coolest"? Nah, then ninjutsu would probably have been higher, and karate much lower. There just didn't seem to be any basis on which these ranking decisions were made, other than to present a program about martial arts.

Maybe that's all it was. People often get into trouble trying to read too much into what's presented on television. I'm sure it was nothing sinister, or for that matter, intelligent.

Zapf Dingbat
04-08-2002, 08:54 PM
Yeah what the hell is with Juko-Kai? I've never heard of it until now. All I saw is a bunch of weirdos standing around kicking each other in the cajones, and not really working on anything "martial" besides that.

Weird stuff.

KungFuGuy!
04-08-2002, 09:18 PM
Has anyone ever heard of that monk guy who teaches in NY?

IronFist
04-08-2002, 09:35 PM
Who wants to go beat up some fat, chain-smoking, mullet having, Juko-kai people?

What's the point of being able to be kicked in the balls if you can't get it up?

I heard 5 or 6 years ago, when I first saw Juko-kai on Ripley's Believe it or Not (I think), that this Rod guy can't get it up. Haha, that's funny, his name is Rod. That's kind of ironic. Wait, no it's not.

Hey remember on the special that was on a few months ago on Discovery or TLC or something, that guy who got kicked in the balls and then hobbled away? Yeah. I wouldn't want to get into a fight with him because YOU COULDN'T HURT HIM!!!! OOOOHHHHHHH.

Uh yeah, I wonder if the reason that they can take such "powerful" ::coughbullshítcough:: shots to the gut is because they have on average 6 extra inches of protection.

Hey remember that lady who passed out during her test because she got hit hard? She said she was just so relaxed that it LOOKED like she passed out, but she really didn't. Bullshít you fúcking liar, you passed out because you got hit really hard.

So yeah, the story as I was told it says that Rod used to paddle himself in the balls with ping pong paddles, lightly at first and then progressively harder until it didn't hurt at all. Then I guess he progressed to other stuff. But I was also told that as a result he can't get it up anymore.

Why is making fun of mcdojos and other type schools so much fun?

IronFist

Ryu
04-08-2002, 10:36 PM
So yeah, the story as I was told it says that Rod used to paddle himself in the balls with ping pong paddles, lightly at first and then progressively harder until it didn't hurt at all. Then I guess he progressed to other stuff.

I rest on what I said before....

Ryu

IronFist
04-08-2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Ryu

I rest on what I said before....

What? "LOL?" or the Judo thing?

You mean you guys don't paddle your balls in Judo?

:D

IronFist

KungFuGuy!
04-09-2002, 11:27 AM
No one has heard about that monk who teaches in New York? He's an authentic shaolin monk who left china to come teach shaolin kung fu in America. They did a little segment on him on this show.

Badger
04-09-2002, 11:45 AM
Wow. Ping Pong Paddles to Play Pocket Pool?

Say that 10 times fast.

Badger

shaolinboxer
04-09-2002, 12:13 PM
KungFuGuy - Are you talking about Shi Yan Ming? There are three monks that I can think of in the NY area. Yan Ming, Goulin, and Li Peng.

I trained iwth Yan Ming for a couple of years.

Ryu
04-09-2002, 12:16 PM
No, the sadist/masachist thing...

Nope, no paddling balls in judo :D Although they can really get messed up with an overly aggressive uchi mata :(

Ryu

IronFist
04-09-2002, 12:19 PM
that must be why they laughed at me when i brought a bunch of ping pong paddles to judo class... :(

IronFist

NorthernMantis
04-09-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Zapf Dingbat
Plus, we got a peek at some REAL ULTIMATE POWER with that weird, slow-ass choreographed ninja attack from the bushes.

TOTALLY SWEET

ROFLOL!!! I saw this in the library at school and almost laughed my butt off out loud.:D :( :D

One thing though the powder in the sheat was pretty cool. I was caught off gard by that.

Too bad we didn't see a ninja totally uppercut a kid.

rubthebuddha
04-09-2002, 01:05 PM
but during the ninja segment, did you see the other ninja in the background kicking his mom in the head?

NorthernMantis
04-09-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by KungFuGuy!
No one has heard about that monk who teaches in New York? He's an authentic shaolin monk who left china to come teach shaolin kung fu in America. They did a little segment on him on this show.

Yes I have heard of him. I mean no disrespect but does he have two women? I know he left a wife in China but on the show he comes out of a building with a child in his arms and a woman (who is a student of his by the way) .

Actually there are four monks. Two of them are in Texas, Goulin and Yan Ming are in NY. Haven't heard about Li Peng though, could be one of the two guys that are here.

shaolinboxer
04-09-2002, 01:24 PM
Li Peng was teaching in Europe until two years or so ago, when he came to NY. He was teaching here, but I think he is laying low...I got the sense he was pretty bored with kung fu. Also, it was very easy for him to set up shop overseas, but NY was much harder and he was having trouble.

It is my understanding that Yang Ming has a wife and at least one child in China, although I have never been there and he never spoke of them. He lives with his girlfriend Sophia and his son in Manhattan (or at least he did the last I heard).

NorthernMantis
04-09-2002, 01:56 PM
Hmm... another shaolin in the U.S. huh? That's pretty interesting.

KungFuGuy!
04-09-2002, 07:21 PM
Shaolinboxer, how was the training? Seems to me that it would be as good as it gets in North America, and the rest of the world for that matter since the monks in China don't train foreigners.

chokeyouout
04-09-2002, 09:08 PM
If they didn't have these experts fight then how can you judge the art?Isn't that speculation?

Ryu
04-09-2002, 11:49 PM
Of course it is, but the show was basically just trying to expose the different styles (new and old) to the uneducated public.
It really wasn't a contest :D LOL

Ryu

KungFuGuy!
04-10-2002, 01:46 AM
Choke, in all fairness, shaolin deserved the #1 spot. After all, it's the grand daddy of all martial arts, and It's pretty obvious that the monks they showed could take on any other expert featured on the program.

Ryu
04-10-2002, 06:05 AM
I don't know about that...
But it's definitely true that most people would, outside the martial arts world, would have had an idea of it. Especially with the "Kung Fu legend continues" stuff on TV. :)

chokeyouout
04-10-2002, 12:22 PM
I know very little about shaoilin kung fu.It must have graded better than the other arts for reasons I'm not aware of, but to say the monks just looked like they could defeat the other artist's seems a little absurd to me.Speculation=McDojo's?

shaolinboxer
04-10-2002, 12:33 PM
It has been my experience that there are many layers of shaolin kung fu.

My training with Yan Ming would probably be very different than yours if you went to train with him.

Besides incredible althetic ability, the way these guys grow up is what really makes them tough. You can learn all the shaolin forms, techniques, what have you, but what I think makes the difference is life experience. It is the life that complimented thier rigorous training that is the real secret to their kung fu. And try as we may, you cannot ever live a life like someone like YanMing or Li Peng. It's not better, it's not worse, it's just different. They are born into kungfu (or at least raised through it), and that's their secret.

chokeyouout
04-10-2002, 05:59 PM
I'm confused.Their tough because of their neighborhood?

Archangel
04-10-2002, 06:08 PM
KungFuGuy

Alot of people believe that Pankration is the Granddaddy of martial arts not Shaolin.

KungFuGuy!
04-10-2002, 07:10 PM
Choke, what are you basing that on?
Arch, that could be true, but I'm not going to argue. What do I know? :D

chokeyouout
04-10-2002, 07:13 PM
Someone referred to the way these monks were brought up conveys their skills.It was a poke at the absence of reasoning behind championing a martial art without testing it.

Zapf Dingbat
04-10-2002, 07:38 PM
Ok, this thread is starting to degrade into another argument.

Here is a kitten:

http://server27.hypermart.net/zapfdingbat/angry_kitten.jpg

KungFuGuy!
04-10-2002, 08:12 PM
Oh. Well I think he wasn't refering to their upbringing more than their neighborhood. When they are old enough to walk, they start training. They train all day just about every day.

chokeyouout
04-10-2002, 08:16 PM
The original thread wasn't a argument.

Arguement-A group of statements,one or more of wich are claimed to provide support for, or reasons to believe one of the others.

There is nothing wrong with a argument.:)

KungFuGuy!
04-11-2002, 03:55 PM
Shaolinboxer, why do you say the training would be different for someone else? Did you find the training to be good? Why did you decide to leave? Sorry for all the questions :D

KungFuGuy!
04-12-2002, 12:04 AM
By the way, if anyone who missed the show and wants to see it, it's on again on saturday at 5:00 PM eastern time on TLC.

KungFuGuy!
04-13-2002, 03:23 PM
Yay, got home in time to watch the first half, which I missed last time.
That juko stuff is blatantly BS, this coming from a guy who fell for temple kung fu! I can't believe anyone was convinced by them. They claim to build their students so that they feel no pain, but I think they just condition them to be able to tolerate pain more. If you look closely at their face when they get hit, you can see the expression of pain, and the struggle to suppress it. It wasn't all bad, seeing that woman get hit in the groin was some of the funniest TV I've experienced :D I hate to bring up Temple mc fu twice in one post, but the clip of the form they were doing at the beginning of the segment was precisely like a temple KF form called temple 1. Maybe TKF is actualy juko-kai. The form coupled with the cult mentality, I'd say it almost has to be.
I'm probably stepping on some toes when I say this, but I think aikido is the pro wrestling of martial arts. It looked as if all the techniques required the co-operation of both the attacker and defender. I probably shouldn't say anything about it, as I've never even seen aikido in action before today, but that was just how it looked to me.

No, I won't stop bumping this thread. Not until shaolinboxer answers my questions :D

omegapoint
04-14-2002, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by KungFuGuy!
Yay, got home in time to watch the first half, which I missed last time.
That juko stuff is blatantly BS, this coming from a guy who fell for temple kung fu! I can't believe anyone was convinced by them. They claim to build their students so that they feel no pain, but I think they just condition them to be able to tolerate pain more. If you look closely at their face when they get hit, you can see the expression of pain, and the struggle to suppress it. It wasn't all bad, seeing that woman get hit in the groin was some of the funniest TV I've experienced :D I hate to bring up Temple mc fu twice in one post, but the clip of the form they were doing at the beginning of the segment was precisely like a temple KF form called temple 1. Maybe TKF is actualy juko-kai. The form coupled with the cult mentality, I'd say it almost has to be.
I'm probably stepping on some toes when I say this, but I think aikido is the pro wrestling of martial arts. It looked as if all the techniques required the co-operation of both the attacker and defender. I probably shouldn't say anything about it, as I've never even seen aikido in action before today, but that was just how it looked to me.

No, I won't stop bumping this thread. Not until shaolinboxer answers my questions :D

We all know Juko-Kai is a friggin' joke, but is that what Shaolin fighting is? Fancy front-kick-to-back-kick-to-front-kick-to-a back-flip-and-a-round-off-leg-sweep? Is that REAL Shaolin combatives? It definitely looks like wushu (with no real wu). That junk is nowhere in the Wubezhi. Anyway how would a 55 year old practitioner do this mess? Athleticism only lasts when you are young and we are getting older every second! That "monk" with a wife (or 2) and kid has been bouncing around like that since he could walk. Most of his American students started when they were in their teens or older. They could never do what that guy does. It's like training in GJJ from 20-30 and getting a black belt. Will this BJJ BB be able to out grapple a Gracie or someone who has trained in THEIR art for a lifetime. I thinks not. Like I said before; there is only 1 true Shaolin style left and it ain't in Red China anywhere. It was/is taught on Taiwan, Malaysia, the Ryukyus/Okinawa (not Goju Ryu either) and in the West and Middle east, but not the PRC. Imperialists and Commies made sure of that.

As for Aikido: I liked that fat cat. He has good chi especially in his cheeks and stomach. You can tell by his weight control that he has truly mastered his mind and body. Someone that "svelte" obviously is not selfish. You know fat is one thing, but FAAAAAT-ARSE is another. The first lesson in self realization is understanding that you are but part of the whole not that you should weigh as much as the whole universe! Like Steven Seagal and Ueshiba's claims of projected ki and throws, it's all illusion. A pale semblance of the Samurai's fighting, effective and devastating jujutsu. We all know that though. 'Nuff said.

That special was a joke. There is no way that most karate BBs or Chuan Fa Sifu could hang with your typical Muay Thai or BJJ guys. That's just the plain truth. Hey I'm a karateka, but I'm honest.

yu shan
04-14-2002, 10:05 PM
Yan Ming

xie xie for bringing your culture to our nation. I was very lucky to be a part of the original tour that brought this person to the states. He was very helpful, to my older kung fu brother, and in just a short time, I was able to grasp some flavor of his history!

shaolinboxer
04-15-2002, 07:18 AM
My experience with Yan Ming was positive and negative.

I can tell you my story, but who cares?

At the end of my training, when I was asked to leave the school for not obeying his orders (the straw that broke the camels back was when I asked a few of my fellow students to come to a house party I was having, without asking his permission first), he said to me "don't stop training".

I believe that he can be sincere in his will to teach, but his desire to create his own world at times defeats his ability to be a great teacher. And he is, by martial arts standards, still young.

At the same time, his physical kung fu is incredible and I stole/learned some great techniques from him and had some great times.

So will you enjoy training with him? He has the ability to create an environment in which you'll fell like a high flying kung fu master, and that can be great. But I think his training program (at the time I was training) lacked depth.

KungFuGuy!
04-15-2002, 06:41 PM
That's rather irregular, asking you to leave because you had a party...
Thanks for answering my questions :)

fa_jing
10-21-2002, 12:02 PM
More airplay for one of the best jokes ever on KFO and the all time bestest use of the word "ironic"

Originally posted by IronFist

I heard 5 or 6 years ago, when I first saw Juko-kai on Ripley's Believe it or Not (I think), that this Rod guy can't get it up. Haha, that's funny, his name is Rod. That's kind of ironic. Wait, no it's not.

wtinfo
10-21-2002, 02:47 PM
"This is why Shootfighting is better than any stand-up fighting :p"

http://www.shootfighting.dk/video/shoot.mpg

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-21-2002, 10:29 PM
its been a while but i thought the kung fu was way too flashy. i was rather disapointed. maybe my sifu took all the good stuff out of our kung fu, cause we don't do nothin like that.