PDA

View Full Version : Bagua palm strike

constant bear
04-08-2002, 01:56 PM
Where is the striking surface for a straight palm strike, either single or double-handed? I have been hearing and reading conflicting information. It seems quite reasonable to focus your intent/ energy/ chi on the heart (center) of the palm during qigong practices but during a strike, shouldn't the actual striking surface be at the heel (bottom) of the palm or along the inner palmar edge of the heel? Striking with the heart of the palm would decrease the mechanical advantage gained by the two above mentioned striking surfaces since the center of the palm is out of alignment with the wrist and arm during delivery. Comments?

dfedorko@mindspring.com
04-08-2002, 02:46 PM
I am not a Bagua practitioner but a palm strike using the palm heart is not as awkward as you may think. Most Iron Palm practitioners use the palm heart as their main strike. I haven't hit anyone with it yet, but I do practice every day. If you use the palm heel then it is a palm heel not palm heart. There is a difference. As well as, the knife edge being a knife edge and not a palm heart. We are discussing three different strikes. You might also be thinking of a willow palm and I believe that to be a block. Hope this helps.

Damian

Eight_Triagram_Boxer
04-08-2002, 04:14 PM
"You can't really talk about a palm strike without specifying the part of the body you wish to strike. Kidneys or other soft areas work well with the center of the palm. The area between the two breasts, seems to work well with the heel of the palm, however, the fingers strike first, above, while heel strikes the heart area of the opponents. Liver area works well with the heart and the hand pointing east/west. In my practice, I never use only the heel of my hand for a strike. Most of my strikes tend to be what we call the collapsing palm technique and the power literally starts in the feet/leg/kua area with the shoulder and arm being somewhat hinged. That's how I generate power, it just isn't in the palm itself."

I like this answer better...I'd say the strongest, as well as safest, is the heel. Especially when you look at the bone structure.

dfedorko@mindspring.com
04-08-2002, 04:50 PM
Could not have said it any better myself. You are correct. The palm heart is the most natural part of the hand to hit with and, if conditioned properly, will not hurt.

Damian