PDA

View Full Version : about the structure of your WC

CanadianBadAss
04-08-2002, 02:11 PM
This is a Paragraph form an essay written by Chu Shong Tin from
www.vingtsun.com.hk __________________________________________________ __
(1). THE STRUCTURE OF THE MOVES

(a) The basic concept is to utilize the rotation of a circle to generate the force and to tolerate any force applied externally. This is due to the fact that anything of the same mass when in a circular shape can tolerate heavier force applied externally and generate greater driving force with minimum energy than in any other shape. The ¡¥Tan Sau¡¦, ¡¥Bong Sau¡¦ and ¡¥Fook Sau¡¦ of Siu Nim Tau are the obvious examples of applying the principle of circular motion.
__________________________________________________ __

The school I train at and I think most other TST(Chu Shong Tin ) lineage schools spend a lot of time working on this. We don’t really practice drills (other then rolling hands) or “techniques”, because generally once you can apply this kind of power (a combination circle thingy with forwardness, relaxation, center line, ECT…) those “tricks” just aren’t necessary. So I was wondering do other lineages of WC train the same way? Do you guys just not place as much of an emphasis on it? or do you guys have different methods of developing your power?

yuanfen
04-08-2002, 03:56 PM
I have read his posts and agree with much of what he said in the VTAA site. But the devil is in the details. When you get into the nitty gritty things that initially look similar can end up beinga little different. Sometimes in his theories he brings his earler tai chi backround into play and that may not be relevant, Brief verbal
representations dont always do justice to the real motions---so I can neither agree or diagree further without more description or demonstration.

S.Teebas
04-08-2002, 09:40 PM
Sometimes in his theories he brings his earler tai chi backround into play...

Like what? Can you give some specific examples?

anerlich
04-08-2002, 09:59 PM
I wouldn't want to argue with TST but what he is saying above is so general and nonspecific it doesn't really say anything.

The human body is neither a stick nor a ball, it is a complex collection of hard articulated surfaces. you can talk about linear and circular, but since we all move in 3 dimensions neither is appropriate.

True power generation without excess muscular effort requires rotational force as well as angular force at numbers of joints all acting in concert. The same is true for absorbing or redirecting an external force.

There, I've managed to sound really profound without saying very much. If TST and a number of my fellow forum members can do it, why not I?

CLOUD ONE
04-08-2002, 10:20 PM
Yes to what TST is saying. I am with someone from that lineage.
The way that the tan, bong, fuk has a lot of importance. The emphasis is on strong horse stance so that these hand/arm movements are made alive and never static, so the reference to tai chi makes a lot of sense. In that once you can apply this on going power without thinking makes your chi sau alive, instead of preconcieved movements!

S.Teebas
04-09-2002, 12:04 AM
The human body is neither a stick nor a ball, it is a complex collection of hard articulated surfaces. you can talk about linear and circular, but since we all move in 3 dimensions neither is appropriate.

I agree that that human body is neither a stick nor a ball...but his theories on structure (be it the circular one mentioned in the above quote, or others)...well they work. And thats good enough for me!!

I wouldn't want to argue with TST but what he is saying above is so general and nonspecific it doesn't really say anything.

I disagree. What he says is in direct relation with what you learn at classes under his linage. Actually i think its a very good summary and doesnt beat around the bush...pointing out the main ideas, but not being specific as it would be so much to write! (the details are taught in class)

yuanfen
04-09-2002, 07:14 AM
I agree that that human body is neither a stick nor a ball...but his theories on structure (be it the circular one mentioned in the above quote, or others)...well they work. And thats good enough for me!!
----------------------------------------------
Understandable because you are practising under guidance
in the TST line..
But the quote given by canadian bad ass can be taken in different ways by folks not in your system. Common problem in
net communications on wing chun. It is not an easy art to write about.
I read the TST articles in the VTAA site- I liked them... but again the wc devil is in the details.