PDA

View Full Version : Results of first MMA fight!

Merryprankster
04-08-2002, 02:22 PM
My opponent came out swinging. Not wild stuff, but swinging. I slipped, he missed, and I shot in for a clean double. He put me in his guard, and started heel kicking me to the kidneys right away.

I had landed RIGHT in the middle of a guard pass series I am no good at, so I actually let him get back to closed guard. I proceeded to break his guard open with what I call the "violator." The knee goes right up the middle, and you sit back, breaking his guard. I started to control for passing, but he tried to kick me in the face a couple of times. Because of the position I was in at that moment, I elected to stand up. I was about to pull a Sakuraba vs Royce (Sak kicks the crap out of Royce's legs), but remembered that I couldn't kick him while he was down. Oh well. I controlled his right leg, thought, "I could pass, but why bother," and nailed him with a straight ankle lock. Most of the time, a straight ankle lock just hurts, but Lloyd teaches a peculiar grip he gleaned in Sambo that does a pretty good number on the ankle joint itself. He tried to roll out for a second, but I managed to get belly down and it was over.

He came to fight, so good for him.

On the other hand, he was a Marine and lost to a Coastie, so I'm sure he's getting crap for that as I type this.

It was such a funny (the day) and fun experience. I can't wait to do this sort of thing again... a little more MMA type training though, would do me good.

So, that was it. It lasted about a minute, maybe a little more or a little less.

I did manage to lose my favorite mouthpiece, but the karmic balance was restored when the state trooper let me off for speeding as I was driving back home :)

diego
04-08-2002, 02:46 PM
about three times the lentgh before i lost interest in this thread:cool:

you seem pretty confident in your skills:rolleyes:

:p

Seriously tho im just getting interested in groundfighting, what is your intent when tackling someone, in jujitsu, where are you trying to grab, and what do you have to look out for, no any links, so i can read technical articles?.

Merryprankster
04-08-2002, 02:55 PM
about three times the lentgh before i lost interest in this thread :cool:

you seem pretty confident in your skills :rolleyes:

Ah, the old backhanded compliment. :D

The answer is--it depends. Generally speaking you're trying to get in deep and disrupt balance as quickly as possible so they can't counter attack, for the simple reason that if it fails, you're going to eat headshots :)

And "tackle," is a bad word in grappling. Tackling is what happens in drunken bar fights. "Shooting," is what takes place in grappling matches :)

There are a TON of links out there for this stuff. I'll look to post some.

rogue
04-08-2002, 03:05 PM
Not bad for blue belt. Now if you were a purple I'd expect you to win in half the time.:D

Really though great job MerryP, you are on a roll. Maybe now I can set up a match between you and Yuanfen. I'll work your corner.

Merryprankster
04-08-2002, 03:08 PM
Thanks rogue, I appreciate it.

As far as with Yuanfen, sorry... I actually LIKE the guy :)

Ryu
04-08-2002, 03:15 PM
Nice work, Merry! Though I was hoping for more ground and pound from you!! :D (just kidding, that leg lock sure did the trick, great going.)
Are you going to make this a career or just a one or two times thing?

Ryu

Merryprankster
04-08-2002, 03:28 PM
We'll see.

I will probably continue to compete, and I will compete at as high a level as I feel willing to make the sacrifices for.

joedoe
04-08-2002, 04:07 PM
Congratulations. Sounds like a good experience.

Black Jack
04-08-2002, 04:48 PM
What no dim mak?;)

chokeyouout
04-08-2002, 05:17 PM
Diego is a loser.Go fight before you pop off about fighting.

diego
04-08-2002, 06:14 PM
even been at a rumble when i was 12 and someone got shot, play possum chump...

Merryprankster and you less tight asses, please post the better links on the ground aspects, i have know idea where to start searching, so if you can post the more professional writings.

Xebsball
04-08-2002, 06:18 PM
hey you better respect the diego

Merryprankster
04-08-2002, 06:23 PM
Oh yeah, sorry.

The best source of mat work that I can find is www.onthemat.com.

Click on multimedia--all sorts of stuff.

Also, for FIGHT clips, check www.sherdog.com, click on videos. It should take you to some highlight flicks.

This will SHOW you what you're after. Once you've done that, surf around on the underground at www.mma.tv to get a technical idea. The Bolo, Roy, and Joe Moreira forum has level-headed moderators that respectfully answer technique questions.

raving_limerick
04-08-2002, 06:26 PM
Congrats, Merry.

So, you gonna fight again, or deprive us of the opportunity to know a rising star on the NHB scene? :D

diego
04-08-2002, 06:27 PM
i dont think i have ever chatte dwith you since we signed up after woodstock, maybe i did something to you in the 80s, well im sorry i am running a blankspot, like what you call your hiarcut:rolleyes:
and besides all those posts are finito, so get over it, and as you could have seen if you werent so choked about balding, you would have seen merry knew i was joshing, as with him i have chatted briefly.
uno peace:cool: just where a hat or something...:eek:

qeySuS
04-09-2002, 03:16 AM
Congratulations on the victory man.

diego
04-09-2002, 07:56 AM
do or dont BREAK A LEG:D , depends on how you look at it, just stay focused, dont forget to breathe, and bring your thermos:confused:

I have a few of the first ufcs on tape, but i havent watched these comps since 96?, recently back in the mood to watch these, just have to figure out what the hell thier doing, cuz back then you'd get bored waiting for someone to get knocked out, and they just laying thier, letting the clock die, now im curious about the chess match behind grappling, also my buddy is into mma's hes had a few amateur fights, one thing i found funny, he said he doesnt lift wieghts, but everyone hes matched up with in his class does, and he hasnt been beaten, he said he justs jogs, and does pushups and such, he all i'd rather use the time for wieghts on sparring and such, but he always been fit and training since we was kids. Yah i thought that was kind of odd just the way he said it:cool: . hopefully i can start hanging with him agian, Matchup.
Good Luck

Merryprankster
04-09-2002, 08:23 AM
Wieghts are extraneous for most of us MA types...let me say that again, EXTRANEOUS.

Will the strength help? Sure. They won't make you tight like some people think, either.

The problem is one of diminishing returns. At the highest levels, weight training is more important because you have to improve the instrument through which you express your art. The reason for this is that EVERYBODY at the highest levels has a VERY high level of skill--so, you're looking for an edge by improving your strength.

At my level, and at your friend's level, and most of the people on this forum, we're better off investing our time in getting better, rather than stronger.

scotty1
04-09-2002, 08:39 AM
Oh my God!!

Ironfist, come quickly!!

IIIIIRRRRRRRROOOONNNNFFFFIIIISSSSTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!

:D

diego
04-09-2002, 08:39 AM
i want my Quarter back!

---------------------------------------------
****, fortune machine , think its on the fritz"

scotty1
04-09-2002, 08:42 AM
Serious though, I find weights work to be more beneficial when I do it every now and again rather than regular. I don't know, maybe that's BS, but when I'm plateauing on a physical development level I find weights kind of bump me up into the next phase, which is good because it means I'm not using technique time lifting iron every week.

Merryprankster
04-09-2002, 08:48 AM
Hey, I didn't say that getting stronger wasn't a good thing. It definitely is.

BUT, if you are interested in competing, but you are not at an elite level, AND you have to make a choice between gym time and "mat time," I feel it's more beneficial for MOST of us to pick mat time.

You also have to remember that some people "get big," when they lift and that's a real problem for a weight class sport.

Now, I'm not a "technique defeats strength," guy. It's simply not true. A good big man will, in all likelihood, beat a good small man. It's that simple. And if you want all the benefits of strength training then do it.

I would have to pick between gym time and mat time due to time constrictions. If you can do both, then go for it!

Actually, that's not fair. I made very good strength gains doing squats, bench press, pull ups and deadlifts ONCE a week. But I have an interesting back problem that makes me scared to try all that again :)

diego
04-09-2002, 08:55 AM
What kind of conditioning do you do to take hits, like some kungfu beat themselves with sticks, also do you know what thai boxers do for extra conditioning besides kick the **** out of each other:D

Mutant
04-09-2002, 08:56 AM
Congrads on winning your fight.....You've had a heck of a week, good going Prankster!

Merryprankster
04-09-2002, 09:06 AM
Diego--the best way to learn to take hits is to get hit.

And by that, I don't mean standing there and beating yourself with a stick. Getting hit when you are ready for it isn't that difficult.

Getting hit while you are trying not to and launching your own counter attack etc, is a little different.

The biggest thing that helped me was KNOWING I was going to get hit. If you go into a sparring session or a fight with the idea that you are GOING to get whacked around and that it will hurt, it really keeps you from shutting down, IMO. It keeps you focused. I ate an uppercut once in a sparring session while I was taking somebody down that had everbody going "Oh," in that sharp "Gee, that had to hurt way." But I KNEW that I would get hit so it kept me focused on taking him down.

As far as what thai boxers do, I really don't know. They beat the **** out of the heavy bag and one of my training partners recommends putting shin pads, headgear, and gloves on, and just beating on each other in a sparring match for several weeks before a fight to get what he calls "body tempering."

Mutant/qeysus, Thanks!

DragonzRage
04-09-2002, 01:25 PM
Seriously! To pull off such a quick submission victory (against an opponent I assume was well trained) in your first fight speaks greatly of your training and preparation. Much smoother than any victory i've ever had. Again, congrats.

Merryprankster
04-09-2002, 01:49 PM
Dragonzrage--I have no idea if he was well trained or not. He didn't flail around like a spastic though, so he was at least well collected :) I'll just take the win and move along :D It's all fun!

Again, Thank you!

ewallace
04-09-2002, 01:58 PM
Congrats MP. It's always a good feeling to succeed at something the first time you do it. Although, I can't decide if I would learn more by winning or getting my ass kicked. I think the later.

Brad Souders
04-09-2002, 04:54 PM
Figures i pick u to win by a mounted submission and you get a cheap leg lock :) Congrats on the most difficult fight you'll ever have your first one.
How did the other soldiers of submissions do?

Merryprankster
04-09-2002, 05:00 PM
LOL at Brad!

I actually felt pretty cheap doing it, but I got lazy...I feel very confidant that I would have passed, I just got lazy :)

Brett won his fight in :26 in the first round by armlock.

Jeff did not have a fight--the opponent backed out a couple of weeks ago.