PDA

View Full Version : Need help: three sectional staff

Ray Pina
04-08-2002, 03:00 PM
I received a three-sectional staff for Christmas when I was 10 or 11, problem being: I was studying Issin-Ryu and it was not part of the system; it was also much longer than I was.

I don’t know if this weapon is found in the internal arsenal. Is it? I know my master’s specialty is the pole and the sword, never saw one of these hanging around.

I thought of trading it for another weapon, since it has had zero use over these years. I had a Hung Gar brother show me a bit a few years ago, but he seemed a little wishy-washy with it himself.

I’m thinking of taking the same approach I did when learning the nunchuks as a kid, getting the foam version and becoming familiar with it that way. Maybe even just teach myself ad keep in mind all the principles I’ve picked up along the way. I know I’ll never use one of these in battle – I do want to learn my master’s pole and sword for future challenge dates – but it has become personal, I just want to be able to use this weapon. I’ve always kept it stored away, I’d never hang a weapon that I couldn’t use.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Ray

Eight_Triagram_Boxer
04-08-2002, 04:17 PM
Ray...
I want you to slowly put down the weapon and walk away...
Haha...

Those things are dangerous. I took out a window and my own head with one. I guess when you get good that sort of thing doesn't happen but I think they are just clumsy. Not my style. I think I have a book I can give you on it. Let me check.

bamboo_ leaf
04-08-2002, 04:48 PM
There are some weapons that bite the user . This happens to be one of them.

The main thing from experience is not to be scared of getting hit. I think this thing can feel that. This is the time that most people including me at one time get hit in the back of the head. If you know a double-ended stick set try doing the movements with the 3 sections. I’m sure you can add some trapping movements and a couple of free-swinging movement and develop your own sense of the wepon.

Just play with it, but be sure that it knows you’re not afraid of getting hit. ;) of course you may have to get hit couple of times, just to show it that your not afraid. have fun!

Kevin Wallbridge
04-08-2002, 09:58 PM
A few years ago I was pretty handy with the sanjiagun. The most important safety element is minimum speed. Its going to hit you, so don't worry. Its more likely to take you out if you try to go slow and be tentative.

While its not an internal weapon, Xinyi Liuhe Quan does have a two section staff. The two sections are quite long, over four feet, and rather thick.

spiralstair
04-09-2002, 04:05 AM
Best thing to do is borrow a football or hockey helmet till you become competent. One hard knock to the head produces a 'wince factor' when practicing that gets in the way of developing skill.

Allways keep the middle section close to your body when bringing the weapon down from an overhead position, then it won't have the range to 'clock' you.

Use movements from sword forms, not staff, and you will begin to develop a feel for its potential. Think of it as a 'connected' double broadsword and you'll be on the right track. Good Luck.

Ray Pina
04-09-2002, 07:13 AM
Hhhmmm. Connected double broad sword. Interesting.

I do have a football helmet from my college days, but adhering to Bamboo leaf, I won't give it that satisfaction. I think I may go with the foam version at first, just to get the basic feel and take my lumps that way.

Its really going to be a side, side project. My real training of coarse taking presedence. But for variety, and the challenge, now that the weather is nice, I figure why not, its been in the corner too long already.

Dave, if you do have a book, that woul be great. I could use it as a guide. But I also want to kind of explore it myself too. Who knows, maybe I'll come up with something, actually like it.

What I reallyu want to learn is master's sword. When I first started training he was focusing on it for a while, I bought the split bamboo katana and all. Was having fun. I practice with a boken every once in a while, just to keep the swivel aspect of the elbow loose.

Man, so much to learn.

jun_erh
06-22-2002, 08:58 PM
I realize this was an old thread but I just came upon it blah blah blah. Anyway, I got the 3 section staff from kung fu magazine. It's foam (not nerf, just not lethal)and came with a very very helpful video. I've picked it up real quick. The guy in the video is from a beijing wushu team, but the techniques are basic. I'd recommend it. Here's a little preview

stand with your right in front like you were riding a snowboard "goofy foot" or lefty/switch stance

1. figure 8= hold the middle staff one hand on top, one underneath. move it in a figure eight! really hard to explain it this way, but if you do it right you'll know. right hand should be firm the left loose.

2. reverse figure 8 = this is pretty comical come to think of it. but anyway, now you swing up instead of down.

anyway, I enjoyed the video and am looking forward to being introduced to other weapons this way, though of course I'll need more serious instruction later.

It starts off as more of a toy than a weapon, but then you start to get the idea when you get better with it. hope this helps and sorry if it seemed condescending but I don't know where you are with it.

wushu chik
06-23-2002, 01:19 AM
I would just like to say that the 3 section staff is my FAVE weapon, next to the hook swords!

But, beware, i have knocked myself senseless MORE with the foam ones than i have the others! I think it's because you think it's going to hurt less, and aren't as careful. Don't think that! It's wrong.

If you can stand the constant battering of yourself, and get pretty good at it, it's a really fun weapon to learn. I love mine!!

~Wen~

HuangKaiVun
06-23-2002, 06:02 AM
I suggest learning it from a video.

In fact, I'll suggest wushuchik's style - Bak Siu Lum (Northern Shaolin). In general, that style's arsenal of weaponry is very impressive.

Kwong Wing Lam has some very good videotapes, one being of Northern Shaolin 3-sectional staff. I always advocate people learning a weapon via a set because then it focuses the practice and demonstrates the possibilities in a clear, organized fashion.

Personally, I'd rather learn on the real thing than foam. The foam version is basically a hard piece of metal or plastic encased by a very thin layer of rubber. I have trouble catching the foam because it's slippery and the hollow tubes don't have proper weight. At least with a heavier real version, I can feel the weight in my hands and thus control the sections better. Control is the key to avoiding injury, not the weapon itself.

In general, I don't know the 3 sectional staff at all. Thus I'll defer to wushuchik on this one.

jun_erh
06-23-2002, 06:52 AM
i'm going to get a real one soon. One thing I noticed though: The newer models generally have ball bearing, like in a skateboard / rollerblade wheel, making for a smoother uhhh ride. I used one recently that was just connected by chains (of course, this is more "authentic"). It was much harder to use. I' interested in both, however, and I think that the old fashioned type could be good if i modified things around it.

it's a great diversion if you are tired of doing forms and stuff. It's like recess