PDA

View Full Version : Cung Le vs. Shonie Carter

chokeyouout
04-08-2002, 05:22 PM
http://www.onthemat.com/Images/u_children/bout_highlights.mov

Shonie lost but fought valiantly.Cung Le is decent on his feet.Is he ready for MMA?

Xebsball
04-08-2002, 06:16 PM
Yeah hes ready its been quite some time

Mister Hansome
04-08-2002, 09:05 PM
Cung Le has the power and speed, he took on guys 4 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier before. He broke the guys jaw. He only lost twice and that was when he was inexperienced and was an amateur, he's a real athlete, and is ready for anything, i would really pay to see Cung Le fight the best fighters as I know he'll give them a run for their money, maybe even beating them to their money.

Mister Hansome
04-08-2002, 10:49 PM
http://cungle.com/clips_pics_page.html, if your a fan then you might beable to see to that you take some time to look at some of his new movies (without downloading 47mb of data). It took me about 5 minutes to download that movie at the top, that a long while for dsl. Ah, what a proud guy cung le is, even tough he fights for the american team and such, he still wears the old vietnamese flag on his shorts (democratic southern vietnamese flag with three strips, coming from a family where half your family got shot by the communist with their little star flag i would hate it if cung le wore shorts with that flag instead. Even though our country of democratic vietnam doesn't exist anymore, it still has hope to be revived, hey how could the south have won with allies that raped the women they were supposed to have protected?).

SanShou Guru
04-09-2002, 07:08 AM
Cung is a very good fighter but has lost 4 times not twice (Worlds in '95, '97, '99 and in the ****okan I have all four one tape) and to my knowledge he has not fought someone 40 lbs heavier in the ring. He has fought two people that were about 190 to 205. Once as an amateur and once as a pro (US Open in '96 went up weight and a K1 superfight after the guy did not make weight).

The best fight you will never see would be Marvin Perry (195-205 lbs.) vs. Cung Le (184 lbs.)

GLW
04-09-2002, 07:20 AM
Clarification

In 1999 in Hong Kong, he DID lose...but it was due to having an intestinal flu or food poisoning. He got ill right after getting to Hong Kong and by his last bout, he had not been able to keep anything down for about 3 days. It is really amazing that he was able to do it at all.

He does indeed have heart...and desire to win.

SanShou Guru
04-09-2002, 07:26 AM
True and even healthy that Russian would have been very tough and he ended up wining the world title. Don't drink a fruit smoothie in Hong Kong. Rudi was a little sick also but he was exposed to the bacteria during an earlier trip so he recovered faster.

shaolinboxer
04-09-2002, 07:45 AM
Marvin Perry vs Cung Lee....the thought makes me drool.....

NafAnal
04-09-2002, 08:05 AM
cung le vs ralek. the thought makes me drool

Mister Hansome
04-09-2002, 09:05 AM
http://www.cungle.com/bio_page.html, from this i got that he won 38 fights and lost 2. 26 knockouts. Hey i don't know where you get your stats, but can you give me reference on it shan shou guru? I got my stats from his website, it even said he lost in Hong Kong and Italy, Hong Kong in 1999 so the stats are atleast accurate till 1999, i don't recall he lost in 2000 or 2001 so can you refer to the site you got that from? The one where he lost 4 times not twice. Read his fights, he fought someone 202 pounds when he was only 183 pounds. Ok, i was wrong about 40 pounds more, but 20 pounds is still alot. I don't remember everything and got it wrong, but 20 pounds is still alot. http://www.cungle.com/fight_page.html

lkfmdc
04-09-2002, 09:13 AM
1995 Cung Le lost to Ramazon Ramzaonov

1997 Cung Le was DISQUALIFIED for a groin kick, it was a questionable call, Cung refuses to acknowledge it but it is an official loss.

1999 Cung Le lost to Russian who won Gold. I forget the Russian's name, but Cung lost, you dont' get a bronze medal for winning. Fruit or no fruit he lost

Shidokan, Cung Le was armbarred by one of the Shidokan Chicago Dojo fighters, Swendel I think was his name.

That's FOUR LOSSES

Merryprankster
04-09-2002, 09:16 AM
Give him a ground game of some kind, even if it's just standing back up properly, and sub defenses. Then he'd be ready.

SanShou Guru
04-09-2002, 09:20 AM
Cung has lost 4 times that I know of.

In 1995 worlds in Baltimore he lost to Ramaznov Ramazan of Russia (or another former soviet nation) and got the Bronze (Ramazan is cosidered one of the best ever and never lost at the worlds)

In 1997 Worlds in Italy he lost by disqualification to Iran in the semi finals and got the bronze. (2nd groin kick but looked like Iran faked it.)

In 1999 Worlds in Hong Kong he lost to Ataev Boziget of Russia and got a bronze. (Cung was really sick, gutsy fight but was schooled after the little energy he had left ran out)

In his first Shotokan event he lsot in the Semi finals or Otero (think that is his name) by submition (armbar) in the 5th round (Cung came back the next year and won).

I have each of these on tape and was at two of them.

SanShou Guru
04-09-2002, 09:22 AM
D'oh beat me to it Ikfmdc

Mister Hansome
04-09-2002, 02:35 PM
For the info, now i know for sure he lost 4 times and not 2. Hey how did i know, i'm not the shan shou guru remember. I don't revolve my life around Cung Le, but still he's still a good fighter, i don't have doubts about that. Atleast he came back in the shotokan one to get the gold, he didn't totally lose, he grew from it and learned from it. I have a question, the guys that defeated Cung Le, who did Cung Le get revenge from? Like you know, like at first he gets defeated so then he comes back the next year to defeat the same guy that beat him compensating for the defeat. It's not about losing or winning, as long as he grows from it he'll still be my favorite fighter. Ramaznov Ramazan of Russia, did he ever have a second chance against this guy?

MA fanatic
04-09-2002, 08:03 PM
I love watching Kung Le fight. I'd pay to see him fight Shonie. Shonie is a class act and one hell of a fighter himself. Shonie trains close to where I live, and I have seen him fight in local mma as well as kickboxing tournaments. He's fun to watch, very charismatic, and talented all around. I'd love to see Shonie in big name NHB matches.
MA fanatic

chokeyouout
04-09-2002, 08:39 PM
Ma-

You must have missed Shonie vs. Serra at UFC?you gotta see"The Detroit Pimp Slap", laid on Serras Grill for the KO.I would have never guessed Shonie would pull that one off.You never know.

MA fanatic
04-10-2002, 04:27 AM
Choke:
I train with guys who are hard core Serra fans. They said that Serra put on a bjj clinic until Shonie nailed him with his signature spinning back fist. Yes, I missed the fight. I would have loved to have seen it. I actually have one of Shonie's fights. His first professional kick boxing match held in Chicago. He KOs a guy in the first round with that same spinning backfist. Just floored the guy (I think the guy actually went air born once hit...his feet went into the air from the backfist). It's a pity he lost to Miletich. I think should he fight Pat again, he'll be more careful. Presently Shonie teaches mma and grappling at a neighboring school. Maybe one of these days I'll go take classes from him. Heard he's a great teacher.
MA fanatic

JWTAYLOR
04-10-2002, 07:59 AM
Money on Mr. Carter.

JWT

chokeyouout
04-10-2002, 12:31 PM
Yup, Serra was all over Shonie on the ground but couldn't finish.It was impressive on two levels;Serras submission attempts and transitions and shonies Houdini like escapes.Done again I think Serra would get him.