PDA

View Full Version : S. Mantis sifu Lee Kok Leung

urban tea
04-08-2002, 09:05 PM
Hi there,

I just wanted to do some reserach on what type of southern mantis Lee Kok Leung does?

I visited him many times for my back and shoulder problems and he is a really nice guy.

I have even seen him and his students play a few sets. Before seeing him, I have only seen the southern mantis from Gin Foon Mark and Po Yee.

Leung's style of mantis is much different.

I don't want my thread to be some mantis war, just informative about Leung's style that he practices.

108kuen
04-08-2002, 09:52 PM
To my knowledge, Lee Kok Leung does Kwong Sai Jook Lum Mantis, the same style as Grandmasters Mark and Poo Yee. Most masters I have seen perform do have differences in their techniques.

urban tea
04-09-2002, 06:02 AM
I have seen Po Yee and Mark's mantis and it is totally not the same as Leung's.

Marks and Po Yee's looks like someone struck them with electricity and they shoot GING out.

Leung's does not appera that way at all. It's completely different.

108kuen
04-09-2002, 02:17 PM
Thats interesting......I could be wrong about Lee Kok Leung's style, but Im interested in what his energy looked like? Have you asked him about his kung fu?

FIRE HAWK
04-09-2002, 11:17 PM
Lee Kok Leung learned Jook Lum Southern Mantis from Wong Yok Gong and i herd it has more of a wrestling or Chin Na type flavor to it not as much footwork either. Wong Yok Gong learned from Cheung Yel Jung who learned from Lee Sim See, Lam Sangs teacher. Wong Yok Gong is the uncle of sifu Sammy Wong he learned Jook Lum and Chu Gar southern mantis from his uncle Wong Yok Gong in Mainland China Sammy Wong lives in California Wong Yok Gong also learned Chu Gar Southern Mantis in China from a sifu whos name i dont know .

FIRE HAWK
04-10-2002, 03:25 AM
Wong Yok Gong is not Sammy Wongs uncle and Sammy Wong lives in Mainland China and when he comes to the U.S.A. he comes to Chicago not California .

urban tea
04-10-2002, 09:11 AM
I've seen Leung move and it doesn't look like chin na or wrestling stuff for sure.

It does not look so exotic like chu gar, white eyebrow , or wing chun.

It looks like something more presentable so to say.

Leung is the real deal. I can tell by the way he talks. Po Yee came up there and asked Leung if he would teach one of his students some staff.

Leung asked him how long his student is in hong kong for. He said that the student will be in HK for one week.

Leung said that he doesn't teach that way. The horse isn't even good enough to walk, let alone hold a staff. "He'd probably hurt himself....before anyone else."

108kuen
04-10-2002, 11:05 AM
Well, I guess all you can do is ask him. I'd still like a more in depth description of his kung fu, though.