View Full Version : 1 vs 4 video

Dark Knight
04-09-2002, 10:25 AM
A street fight,

enjoy

http://download.consumptionjunction.com/multimedia/cj_7718.wmv

dwid
04-09-2002, 10:52 AM
He used to be a pro skater, looks like he's been eating his wheaties.

Black Jack
04-09-2002, 11:38 AM
Shows what aggression can do, that and being able to hit hard.

Dark Knight
04-09-2002, 11:53 AM
"Shows what aggression can do, that and being able to hit hard."

It sure does. After I had been slapped around many times thorugh the years I changed my approach to more agressive and power stikes.

I trap and grapple all the time, but there is something to say about hitting someone so hard on the first shot you dont need to continue.

Black Jack
04-09-2002, 12:34 PM
IMHO sheer aggression can overwhelm a LOT of technique. To me the mindset is everything.

For example who would you rather have at your back in the thick, a seasoned hockey player or a kung fu teacher who works forms most of the time, well lets just say I would pick the pro-hockey player by leaps and bounds.

ewallace
04-09-2002, 08:05 PM
Best way to train multiple attackers... go to a local hardcore/skinhead concert/show. Get in the mosh pit. You'll have more elbows and headbutts coming your way then you know what to do with.

scotty1
04-10-2002, 02:32 AM
LOL @ EWallace, that's so true. Really gets your awareness going..

Dark Knight:"After I had been slapped around many times thorugh the years I changed my approach to more agressive and power stikes"

Can you expand on that a bit please, as I haven't been doing this for years, and it sounds like you've learnt from experience.

Dark Knight
04-10-2002, 08:04 AM
im backed up today, but yes I will. Check back on this.

chingei
04-10-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by dwid
looks like he's been eating his wheaties.

looked like those kids were scared ****less. not a one of them wanted a scrap (looking for a little posing and got more than they bargained for)

Dark Knight
04-12-2002, 07:17 AM
Scotty, Im traveling right now but will answer the question when I get home

AmerROSS
04-12-2002, 08:58 AM
DK, could you drop me an email at sonnon@amerross.com or sonnon@subjectcontrol.com? TIA

Mr Punch
04-14-2002, 02:22 AM
Can't actually see anything on that vid!:(

ewallace, don't forget to call them all dykes and spit your beer at them!

Dark Knight: sorry to hear you're backed up, try prunes.:D

I started in and so far have 11 years of aiki (do I say that in every **** post?!). We do a lot of free randori when four guys 'try and nail you' (except they don't cos it aiki and no-one knows how to punch!): it's very very useful for keeping moving like in the 2 on 1 sparring thread, but like DK says, it's hopeless waiting for someone to come in. If you do that in a multiple outside of the dojo, believe me, they'll come in all right!! But you won't be in any position to control them.

So Scotty, i think what DK and BJ mean is you want to go to them and take them out with a couple of big ones and some serious testes!! Right?

i got in a sit once when i backed off, slapping away everything and laughing to myself, then, when i decided to go in he already had too much momentum, and a couple of ineffective punches and a too-****-merciful throw attempt later, i nearly got my ass handed to me...@if his mates had been any closer, i'd still be eating soup.

The Willow Sword
04-15-2002, 10:18 AM
you know i watched that vid over and over and i still came to the same conclusion every time. this was a pea**** fight and no real survival skills took place. those 4 guys were punks taking on a even bigger punk. its fun to see a fight like that though. reminds me of mardi gras.
many respects,,The Willow Sword

Dark Knight
04-15-2002, 04:21 PM
"Can you expand on that a bit please, as I haven't been doing this for years, and it sounds like you've learnt from experience."

When I first started in the arts I was like millions where we worked with each other, not too much heavy contact and improved our skills. After I got my first degree I started working out with other black belts that were substantially better than me and we started fighting a couple times a week. One guy I fought hurt me constantly, we stopped fighting when I was bleeding, KO'd, unable to stand from hard strikes or other painful reasons.

I found that the way to slow the beatings down was to get agressive and not couter him but attack him.

I sold my first school after a few years and had the chance to start working out with people in other styles. I was pretty forunate to find high ranking people with skills well above mine. When we fought I again found that being agressive was the best counter than recieving a strike.

I ran across one of Sifu Allens students who liked to train hard, and worked on what worked for him in the street. His lessons in life were to become more efficient as a fighter and spar using what he would use in the street. (Hooks to the kidneys really hurt)

Learning newer and efficient ways of fighting was the next lesson. We are all tought information that will work for us and alot that will not. When you train and fight with people with different fighting styles you quickly find what does and does not work.

I spent a couple years with a GOJU 8th dan who felt that we should spar 3/4 contact with no gloves. I learned a lot about power and what it feels like to have a powerful striker hit you.

I spent a few years in a TKD school that had an instructor that did kick boxing. The biggest lesson I learned from TKD is its not what you know but how well you know it. Most of his students were not very good fighters, but he was and one other student was.

The last couple of years I have been involved with an 8th in Ju-Jitsu.

Over the years I have fought very talented people in different arts and found that all arts do have something of value. I have had a couple street fights but they ended quickly because they didnt train and I did. I have had challenge fights, and even now in my 40's still get some one who says they want to fight me. (I have been very lucky that no one with real skill has challenged me, but they have better things to do)

Most people who say they want to fight are all talk and will not show up, or find an excuse.

Im not a world champion fighter, but I have a lot of experience. I have seen some pretty bad injurys, and seen theories come and go.

Experience is the best instructor, keep an open mind, train with everyone.

Dont woryy about what art is better, just keep working to make yourself better.

hope this answers the question.

Dark Knight
04-15-2002, 05:50 PM
BTW, when I say train with every one, I dont mean study a little of everything, stay with one style and add to your knowledge .

scotty1
04-16-2002, 05:51 AM
Cheers Dark Knight.
That definitely answers the question. All the experience you mention is stand up, apart from possibly the Jiu Jitsu. Any reason for that?

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Dark Knight
04-16-2002, 09:42 AM
All the experience you mention is stand up, apart from possibly the Jiu Jitsu. Any reason for that?

It just worked out that way.

I have been grappling for about 10 years now. I love to wrestle but I prefer to stay on my feet for fighting. When I spar with other we star fighting and go to ground fighting. Its a lot of fun, and gives you a feel for both standing and ground work.

I do a lot of standup fighting drill to keep the timing and power up. If you emphasize on one area the others will suffer. Im a firm believer in hitting someone extremely hard. Also you should know what its like to get hit so your not shocked when it happens.

When I went for my third degree back in the 80s I had to fight a kick boxer, he trained for 12 rounds where I trained for a 30 second street fight. After being slugged around for a while I grabbed him and kept him off balance while I hit him. I hit pretty hard but he was use to getting hit by people bigger and stronger than me. I eventually took him to the ground and did the ground and pound thing.
After that I worked harder on my cardio and realized that if you cant beat someone at their own game you better have another game.

Today everyone is doing cross training. Its important not to be a one dimensional fighter. There is no one way that is the best way, and not everyone can make the same thing work. You may find that your current art work for you, but another approach works great for you.

BTW I do Japanese Ju-Jitsu not BJJ or GJJ. Not that it works better, it just worked out that the guy I train with currently does it. Prior to him I was with another Ju-Jitsu 9th that taught in his garage, that was in the early 90s.