PDA

View Full Version : The Hung/Hong kung fu list..since I sense it has been confused

Killer Nerd
05-10-2001, 08:39 AM
There has been alot of questions regarding the Hung/Hong styles of kung fu so therefore I am writing this list in an attempt to start over from scratch. Anyone with any more Hung/Hong names and any information about the ones that I list or any others please do so. Thank you.

Hung Gar
Hung Ga(same as Hung Gar?)
Hung Kuen (same as hung gar?)
Hong Kuen(I have read on one website that HONG kuen is DIFFERENT from Kung Kuen and on another website that it is the SAME--anyone?)
Hung Jia
Hong Jia
Hung Fut
Hung Chia(one website lists Yuen Yik Kai of hong kong as an expert in this style..is this the same as 5 pattern hung kuen?)
Hong Quan
Hong Cha
Hong GIA(a vietnamese form of 5 animal kung fu)

add to this list..that I have read other members claim that there are between 10-15 DIFFERENT Hong/Hung styles in China..it becomes extremely confusing!

joedoe
05-10-2001, 08:44 AM
Hung dong :D

-------------------------------------
You have no chance to survive - make your time.

northstar
05-10-2001, 04:07 PM
Using pinyin transcription of the northern pronounciation of Hung Gar, lso called tiger crane: Hong Jia, in Wade-Giles: Hong Chia.
But, it is a Cantonese style, and Cantonese lacks a generally accepted system of transcription. The Yale system is IMHO the best, and it is also standard in western education. In Yale, it is: Hung Ga. Notice that "ga" is pronounced not like the "ga" in "gat", but as the "ga" in "gar". Hence the "Gar" variant (but never pronounce the "r".
Hung kuen is "hung kyun" using Yale, and would be "hong quan" (Hong boxing) in pinyin. It sometimes refers to hung ga, but there are also Shaolin sets called hong quan/hung kyun.
Hung Jia is an incorrect spelling.
Hung Fut (Hung Buddha) is a style consisting of Hung Ga and Fut Ga techniques.

[This message was edited by northstar on 05-11-01 at 07:35 AM.]

WongFeHung
05-11-2001, 05:01 PM
most phonetic Cantonese write fist as kuen, Bruce Lee wrote it kune. Wade-Giles, and Yale usually romanize Manderin as Ch'uan and pinyin, which is a conspiricy, writes it as quan. These guys are just plain evil-"Let's use their letters, but change the sounds" so Ch'i is spelled qi-why the Q? I am so sick of hearing people say they study Taiji KWAN (quan)or Kwi-Gong (qigong)and How the heck does Xing sound anything like shing? (although hsing was no better)I'm surprised they didn't f**8with our numbers. "Okay, three is now seven, and z represents five, but the seven is silent, except after c, and sometimes y" They're probably getting back at us for writing rough, tough, and dough. Kinda makes me laff.

Paul Skrypichayko
05-12-2001, 10:06 AM
Actually, pinyin is based on the international phonetic alphabet, and once you learn it, it describes the sounds of Chinese much better than the older systems. Also, pinyin is very standard throughout the world, making it easy for non-English people to understand, and making it easy to communicate with most educated people in China.

The funny thing is, over here (North America), you usually hear Cantonese, and identify that with Chinese, but all of my co-workers who are from Guangdong will say that it isn't Chinese, and Putonghua (common speech / Mandarin) is "real Chinese"

bean curd
05-12-2001, 11:00 AM
the confusion also arises from which dialect you are refering too.

the generalization is cantonese and mandarin.

thus you have kuen and chuan.

then in some areas such as hong kong, the use can be more hung kuen than hung gar.

if you use hung gar kuen then the collective of the wording is hung pugilism.

regarding the variation of the word hung itself, well that can also get confusing as in general, there are four tones in mandarin while there are nine tones for cantonese, then again there is commonality between both.

to that end i would always suggest place the wording as you know it and just use brackets to relay the msg in english, less confusing.

just to make matters confussing there is also an agreed writting that was introduced by the canton higher education in 1960 that doesn't even use some of the usual writtings.