PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun push ups

tiger7
04-09-2002, 03:18 PM
Greetings,

We do quite a bit of Wing Chun push ups (push ups on your Knuckles) to build a strong form(straight punch). How many Wing Chun push ups do you guys do at your schools?

anerlich
04-09-2002, 03:39 PM
Since these pushups are a mainstay of many Karate and TKD, etc. schools, calling them "Wing Chun pushups" is pushing it a bit.

There's nothing wrong with these, though once you get used to them you may want to vary the exercises a bit to get more out of them.

Some ways you can do this are:

Rock forward and backwads on the fists - so you go from hammerfists on the floor, to knuckles to the thumb-side top of the fist

Allow the fists to collapse outward to the side so that you are doing pushups on the backs of the wrists (CAUTION - work towards this one - try one at a time VERY SLOWLY first). World boxing title holder Kostya Tszyu jumps from fists to backs of hands and back again with impunity during his 500-odd pushups per session. He also does some other exercises that would make your hair stand on end - a magnificent athlete.

You can hold yourself suspend on one fist for 30 secs to 2 minutes plus.

IMHO you don't need to do these pushups on a hard floor to get the benefits which are mainly wrist and arm strength. There are better ways to condition the hands than knuckle pushups, sandbag work for example.

One exercise sequence my training buds and I do is:

Handstand pushups, partner assisted - to failure
Pushups, feet on partner's shoulders - to failure
Pushups, partner holds ankles in wheelbarrow position - to failure
Regular pushups - to failure

yuanfen
04-09-2002, 04:09 PM
I dont do those karate pushups and do not advise my students to do them.

gnugear
04-09-2002, 04:15 PM
I gave up on pushups. Everytime I did them, they produced WAY too much tension in my shoulders.

I don't miss them in the least.

edward
04-09-2002, 04:47 PM
zero....

Sharky
04-09-2002, 05:22 PM
i do them, but not on my fists.

sticky fingers
04-09-2002, 10:28 PM
Clapping pushups with elbows in