PDA

View Full Version : push hands questions

wangsizhong
04-09-2002, 07:55 PM
i've been doing wu style for a few weeks now (still haven't memorized the form) but i have some push hands questions

my teacher is really a student so he doesnt remember the techniques for single hand...we've been doing the two handed version where you grasp each other's biceps. if i manage to get a hand free for a strike, what is more "lethal" (for lack of a better word): a fist strike to the chest or a palm strike?

secondly, i'm not clear on the whole fa li, fa jing (or whatever its called) thing
most of our push hands has been purely body mechanics and feeling for reactions. is the fa li strike more of an energy/qi strike? or more of a really well timed body alignment?

wang si zhong

brassmonkey
04-10-2002, 11:14 PM
personally I'd prefer the fist to the chest but why not ask your teacher these questions?

Kumkuat
04-11-2002, 12:47 AM
doesn't matter if you hit him hard enough on the chest. I perfer palms myself since it's more comfortable for me.

bamboo_ leaf
04-11-2002, 07:44 AM
Really there are only 2 things to keep in mind. Empty/ full and central balance.

The basic and advanced strategy is to control, stick, follow and release.

All things found in your form can be used but they should arise as echoes of the others movement not a preplanned strategy. What you have written and questions asked seem very different then from learning to forget oneself and become part of the others movement.

Really have a clear idea of what your training is developing or you will be far from your intended direction if TC skill is what you’re looking for. Softness overcomes hardness; encounter force with change and use the others force against him. this is both the basic and advanced method. how it is emplyed and to what degree depends on ones level and understanding.

Again it depends on what you’re really trying to learn, sounds like your trying to learn how to win or beat some one. If this is the case then you are very far from the TC way IMO.

it’s a matter of what you want to develop, this idea of the dreaded “killer death touch fa-jing” is an example of seeking your own power instead of learning how to use others.

if you can really relax (sung) then being able to fa is a small skill compard to some of the others.

wangsizhong
04-11-2002, 08:09 AM
bamboo_leaf:

you pretty much have my number. the question was really about trying to win. i'm still really early in my training so that mindset is still hanging around. i'm not really looking to learn the fa jing though, as much as i'm getting ahead of myself in trying to understand what it is and what its used for. i need to slow down.
thanks for the reminder.

"...learning to forget oneself and become part of the others movement. "

this at least i'm starting to grasp. i'm expending a lot less energy then when i started.

"Softness overcomes hardness; encounter force with change and use the others force against him."

here also i'm starting to notice how little movements can effect great change. i'm familiar with the theory but just beginning to be able to feel it.

thanks again for putting me on track

Wang Si Zhong