PDA

View Full Version : Health Question/Advice

Sihing73
04-09-2002, 09:46 PM
Hello,

For those not familiar with me I am a Wing Chun stylist. I also do a kali type of art known as Pekiti Tirisia. I have just over 18 years of training in Wing Chun.

I have always had back problems, a curvature of the spine. It has never really been too noticable and never stopped me from doing anything. I have served in the US Army and in Law Enforcement.

Anyhow here is my question:

I have recently be diagnosed with some degenerative disc problems in my lower back. I have a herniated disc for which I will undergo surgery later this month. I am not seeking sympathy here but some serious advice. I fully intend to continue my martial arts training and was wondering if anyone had some serious suggestions, and knowledge which would be beneficial to my situation. I was thinking of trying Tai Chi or perhaps Hsing Yi I already do Jum Jong although hardly like I should. If anyone knows of or can suggest anyone who could be of help in training me in the Philadlephia area I would be much appreciative.

Please feel free to e-mail me as I may not be checking the boards as much depending on how I feel.

Sihing73@juno.com.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Daniel Madar
04-10-2002, 02:06 AM
Dave,

Sorry to hear that. When I started taiji I was in the formative phase of emphysema, and it helped out with that to the point that there is no evidence I had it.

I suggest you check www.hsing-i.com, it has a teachers list. If you are anywhere near being able to commute to DC/Maryland--its far, but it might be worth it--you can get in touch with Ken Fish at www.emptyflower.com. He is not only an internalist, but a medical doctor as well.

Good luck,

Daniel

Sihing73
04-10-2002, 07:32 AM
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the reply. I will check both. DC/Maryland is a bit far for me but I currently travel, prior to all of this, to NYC regularily.

Bottom line, if it helps I'll make the trip.

Thanks again.

Peace,

Dave

ratman201
04-10-2002, 08:13 AM
Ren Guangyi teaches Chen style Tai Chi on saturday mornings at 9:30am. At fitness works gym. 714 Reed St., Philadelphia, PA 19147. Phone: (215) 334-8190

ratman201
04-10-2002, 08:15 AM
He also has a school in NYC if you travel there alot and so does one of his seior students, Adam Wallace. Sorry I don't knowthe number up that way.

Sihing73
04-10-2002, 11:41 PM
Hi Ratman201,

I checked out your suggestion and he seems highly reccommended. I called the Philly school but the person answering did not know anything. I found his web site and sent an e-mail and will perhaps give Gina a call later this week.

Thanks again,

Dave

dfedorko@mindspring.com
04-11-2002, 08:51 AM
I am a former 11B, committee group instructor, drill sergeant and a **** recruiter. I also had bach surgery this past October 2001. Understand that as we get older our backs degenerate and, like us, if you over exercise it happens quicker (so what the neuro-surgeon says). So we need to be careful. I feel the same way as you do not wanting to give up the Martial Arts. I would rather die than give up the Arts. Understand that we are two different people so what might be good for me might not be good for you. By the way, I had a frag (piece of disk)removed from my back. Four hours after the operation I was walking and the next day I was sent home. I attribute my recovery to T'ai Chi and that is what I recommend to you. I perform Qigong 18 and Ba Duan Jin (8 Sections Brocade)every day (in the morning). Prior to my surgery I was doing Qigong 18 for years. Good luck to you. If you need help with anything at all contact me by email. "Gotta go Drill Sgt but I'll be right back".

Damian

ratman201
04-11-2002, 09:13 AM
Ren travels up around alot, and the people at the gym don't know anything about the class. The best time to call would be around 10am on saturday, during class. Also you could check out his website for other places to get ahld of him.
www.chentaijiquan.com

dezhen2001
04-11-2002, 09:39 AM
Kinda shamless plug as Adam Wallace is my Sisuk, but he also teaches Wild Goose (Dayan) Qigong as well as Chen Taijiquan. Both are very good...click here (http://www.dayanqigong.com) for his website.

good luck :)

david

Fu-Pow
04-11-2002, 11:59 AM
Sounds like you have a structural problem in the spine. My recommendation would be deep tissue massage coupled with some kind of standing post meditation (which you would do in internal arts) to get your spine lined up correctly. Just my opinion.

Sihing73
04-11-2002, 05:47 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations. I will make a point of contacting them. I think that some internal work and standing postures are definetly in order.

Oh, there is a definite "structural" problem with my back. I have a curvature of the spine. It is a physical problem not just one of laziness. Funny thing, it never stopped me from doing anything. I joined the Army went Airborne and Ranger, worked as a cop. Done some things others more "healthy" people would not or could not.

I have seen chiropracticors and had some interesting results. My current problem though requires a different approach. Anyhow, thanks again for the suggestions I appreciate the help.

Peace,

Dave

looking_up
04-12-2002, 02:01 PM
I strongly second the notion to practice zhanzhuang/standing meditation and taiji.

Good luck, man.