PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun Riddle

Ray Pina
04-10-2002, 07:24 AM
OK, this is for lower- to Mid-level WC players.

If your style's mantra is: The shortest distance between two points is a straight line.

Why then, when someone is on top of your bridge, do you run the hand?

OK senior guys, don't help out your younger brothers just yet, let them do their home work.

black and blue
04-10-2002, 07:48 AM
Their bridge on mine is a superior position for their attacks.
My bridge being below their bridge limits my attacks to low level, rather than the face. Whether a straight line is available or not (to me), they have the advantage defending and attacking... as far as I can tell :(

Ray Pina
04-10-2002, 07:57 AM
We all start somewhere. I'm black and blue a bit myself from last night's training. I'm studying internal now and am of a low level in that regard.

I'll give a few more poeple a chance, and then I'll post you back about how strong of a position you actually are in right there.

Nice meeting you :)

black and blue
04-10-2002, 08:06 AM
Another Wing Chunner post to flay me!

I tend to feel in a dominant position (for example), using fook sau on opponents tan sau. Of course, this might just be a case of laziness on my part - 'tis always easier resting on someone else's bridge :)

Perhaps my answer relates to pinning/pressing, where, more often than not, you're covering your opponents bridge (can't imagine pinning someone from underneath).

Then again, maybe my inexperience is what leads to my battered state every week :D

Duncan

Ps. EF - good to hear you're still training HARD when training SOFT. How about getting some pics/mpegs up on your Sifu's site?

dezhen2001
04-10-2002, 08:40 AM
if you're talking about something like Bong Sau, and their hands are both on top of you, then surely the Bong can be the superior position... You're controling their arm so they can't hit and if it moves you can move right in.

It all depends on what they've done and how you've reacted to it. Below to me seems to protect your centreline more, but what do i know... i've only been training 18months :)

Black and blue: guess we're the only newbies here :D

EvolutionFist: what does 'run the hand' mean? Do you mean follow the hand or arm?

david

Alpha Dog
04-10-2002, 08:56 AM
Sounds more like a cardgame to me

zerozero
04-10-2002, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by EvolutionFist
OK, this is for lower- to Mid-level WC players.

If your style's mantra is: The shortest distance between two points is a straight line.

I am that lower-to Mid-level WC player. What makes you think I run my hand just because someone is on top of my bridge?

Ray Pina
04-10-2002, 10:26 AM
Black and Blue, in you're interested, I posted my reply on the Main Kung Fu Forum.

Let me know what you think.

txwingchun
04-10-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by dezhen2001

Black and blue: guess we're the only newbies here :D

david

You're not the only newbieI've only been training 9 months

Gandolf269
04-10-2002, 12:14 PM
I am a lower level student and would like to answer your question but what to you mean by "run the hand"?

S.Teebas
04-11-2002, 12:36 AM

Who says you need to run the hand just because he's on top?

I think a better question would be:

What conditions would lead you to run the hand if you're underneath?

Ray Pina
04-11-2002, 08:59 AM
I don't run, I hit.

Running is a wasted move. Yield and wait secured for the position to change, or dive in. (see my post on the kung fu board for what I'd do)

Siu Tze
04-11-2002, 10:45 AM
EvolutionFist, thanks again for the interesting discussion. I would however like to pull this thread back into WC forum so I get a chance to read it. If this is not the intent then I'll post future discussions back over there.

The written forum is really not a great place to describe bodily motion (body dynamics if you will), so I would like some clarification. There is also no "magic bullet" in WC or any other art, so I'd like to offer some alternatives just to see. I'm hoping for new perspective on new or old hands.

OK, back to position. Your right hand under their left bridge. How about this option. Mimic the mostion of pounding a huge beer mug, lifting the arm and stepping inside. This is direct. Look for the incoming right hand. If you can beat the punch by being direct, go for it. If not, in wing chu terms, Tan sau that blow, now, your right, which you lifted to get inside -- which should look like this \/ but only up, where the point of the V is at there chest shoudler -- you can now bring it down on them.

When you are lifting your arm (like the beer mug) what is your opponent doing? Wouldn't they be reacting to that move especially when you are taking the time to step? You mentioned a right handed punch from them, but what about the left hand?

Once your arms are up in a 'V' shape, do you have the move that you drop the persons 'V' shaped arm so they are pulled into you? Of course if you are close, your opponent doesn't have the space to drop it.

Another simply thing to do. If your underneath, instead of running, shoot your fist into their bicep. Believe it or not, you are now on top, controlling them where it counts, above the elbow, the source of power. Let their tricep flap in the breeze.

If your hands are underneath, how can you reach their bicep unless they are flying their elbows or they are allowing you to split them. Or are you saying cross your arms?

Look forward to your reply.