PDA

View Full Version : My Very First Proverb

The Willow Sword
04-10-2002, 01:00 PM
This revealtion came to me some time ago and i would like to share it with all of you and get your thoughts as to what you think it means. i have an idea but at times it takes an outside perspective to see and understand things clearly.

" THE MONKEY CHATTERS , THE TIGER LIES IN WAIT , AND THE SAGE HUMBLY DRINKS HIS WINE AND WALKS DOWN THE PATH."

lets go to the right side of our brain on this one. and also if others have proverbs that they have created themselves,,please share.
Many Respects, The Willow Sword

wangsizhong
04-11-2002, 01:22 AM
here's my interpretation:

the monkey chatters: some people (fools) talk a lot about what they claim to know (like to hear themselves talk)

the tiger lies in wait: some people just wait for something to happen (no initiative)

the sage humbly drinks his wine and walks down the path: the wise person is quiet (humbly drinks his wine) and goes about doing what he's supposed to do

ALTERNATE INTERPRETATION

the monkey chatters: some people (fools) talk a lot about what they claim to know (like to hear themselves talk)

the tiger lies in wait: some people (evil people) who are strong wait to prey on others (emotionally, financially, physically, what have you)

the sage humbly drinks his wine and walks down the path: the wise person is quiet or stays out of people's way (humbly drinks his wine) and does what is righteous (helping others rather than harming, avoiding conflict)

or something like that

Wang Si Zhong

extrajoseph
04-11-2002, 05:21 AM
I'll have a go too.

Walking along the Way, everyone does what everyone is meant to do with "Wu Wei".

In the same sentiment, "The cloud obscures the moon, the shadow disappears, and the sage sleeps like a baby without dreams."

JosephX

The Willow Sword
04-11-2002, 12:15 PM
i like the responses so far. here is what i thought it meant when it came to me.

The Monkey chatters; to play the monkey is to play the fool,,as you sit there and laugh at his antics he bites you in the ass from behind. circle the monkey constantly, never let him get behind you, unmask his ego you find a coward disguised as a monkey.

The Tiger Lies in wait: the tiger is a reactionary creature,,either fights or flees,,but always is he sitting there waiting,,watching everything. tigers can be noble but they can be vicious,,,not necessarily evil,,,just doing what it is that a tiger always does that is in his nature. the tiger is not to be trifled with.

the sage humbly drinks his wine and walks down the path:

i believe this one is about KNOWING. the sage(human) knows what the monkey is about and knows what the tiger is about, has no fear of either and just lives his life. whether or not he is attacked and eaten by the tiger or taunted to death by the monkey is of no concern to him. the wine he drinks makes him happy and the path is straight and narrow. he is humble in the face of these realities and continues to walk on. a truly enlightened being.

MAny Respects,,The Willow Sword