PDA

View Full Version : JKD or Hwa Rang Do

MS2006
04-10-2002, 03:42 PM
I am planning on starting MA this summer. I am wondering which type to do. I am thinking about Jeet Kune Do or Hwa Rang Do. I'm doing it so i will be ready for a street fight if 1 happens to come along, not for sport or getting in shape or any thing else. I was wondering, in your opinion which is better for most fight situations. By this i mean is it effective in most circumstrances, be it vs a a big guy, little guy, 1 guy, or multiple guys, ect. I heard that Hwa Rang Do is better because it teaches alot of kicking, punching, throws, and joint locks and Jeet Kune Do for the most part teaches kicks and punches. Is this true? I am also open for suggestions if there is a better MA to do that fits my requirments. thanx for your time

rogue
04-11-2002, 02:44 PM
Hwarangdo is an awesome art, but given your choices I'd recommend a good JKD school. The some of the reasons are here, http://www.hwarang.org/Warning.html. Also it is a very athletic art. Here's a list of some former HRD black belts that have videos so you can see some of what they do, Randy Warner & Jesse Lechuga both at www.trsdirect.com (don't worry about the hype both are excellent) and Michael DeAlba (just do a web search on his name). Bob Duggin may have some material but I'm not sure. You also may want to look into Hapkido or Kuksool if HRD interests you.

Black Jack
04-11-2002, 07:04 PM
I would go with JKD, HRD gots some good stuff but their is some high kicking and thats not what I like, plus the Korean arts are sometimes a little shady on their histories, but from my point of view, who cares about that.

My vote, JKD.

yenhoi
04-13-2002, 12:32 PM
You learn what you need to learn in JKD (most places.)

You learn HWD if you goto a HWD school.