PDA

View Full Version : What did you do before choosing Wing Chun as your main style?

gnugear
04-10-2002, 06:07 PM
Sounds like a lot of folks discovered Wing Chun through other styles.

I did 6-7 years of Okinawan Goju Ryu before I switched over. Goju taught me a lot of good fundementals, but softness wasn't one of them :D

OdderMensch
04-10-2002, 06:45 PM
sat on the couch and ate chessy poofs :(

**** kung fu is so much cooler :D

gnugear
04-10-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by OdderMensch
sat on the couch and ate chessy poofs :(

**** kung fu is so much cooler :D

LMAO!!:D

IronFist
04-10-2002, 07:08 PM
Isshinryu when I was young. I got my basics and my instinctive MA reflexes from that :)

Then weightlifting in college.

I still do the weightlifting.

IronFist

straight blast
04-11-2002, 12:36 AM
I did a couple years of Muay Thai. I really liked it but decided to move on to better things...:D

sphynx
04-11-2002, 01:19 AM
i bought books and magazines, and paced the local ma supply store wishing i were doing it ;) now im here, better late than never

reneritchie
04-11-2002, 06:17 AM
Hi,

I did Judo in elementary school and a little again in college. I did karate and a little jujitsu in high school. After that I tried Wushu, first Chanquan then Baguazhang and Xingyiquan. I was really more concerned with the teacher. The best combination of teacher and art I could find was in wing chun kuen (great system with in depth instruction can't be beat).

Rgds,

RR

red5angel
04-11-2002, 07:04 AM
Gnugear, sounds like you and I share something in common, only I did 2 years no 6! And it was back in high school.

stuartm
04-11-2002, 11:23 AM
Wado Kai Karate - Tai Chi (Yang Style) - Tai Chi Boxing and Fa Jing Chuan and Wing Chun. Always searched for Wing Chun though and so glad i discovered it.

Cheers, Stuart

fa_jing
04-11-2002, 12:39 PM
TKD in high school, 1.5 years. Then Cheung style WC for 1/2 year. Then 1/2 year 7-star praying Mantis. Now 2.5 years "normal" Yip Man style WC, with a little JKD thrown in from time to time.
Wing Chun is NOT my favorite art. I hold several arts in the same esteem. However, it is the quickest most effective way to improve MY fighting skills, at this point. After about 1 more year, I want to train something else - either Northern internal styles, or Shaui Jiao. As Rene said, it's a combo of the teacher and the art. My teacher is excellent but I feel I will have most of his method in one more year, I can then take it and work it on my own. Plus, I like empty hand forms and want to learn other methods, just for fun. Would keep up the occasional private lesson with my current sifu, though.
-FJ

raving_limerick
04-11-2002, 01:31 PM
I boxed a bit and did about a year and a half of Muay Thai before. I switched to wing chun after sparring around with a friend who knew some Wing Chun back home. Well, not really switched immediately, per se, but I certainly did start looking around for a good wing chun teacher after that. Now, I'm a happy beginner and look forward to learning more of the art.

byond
04-11-2002, 01:44 PM
hey guys.....muay tai for 2 years...switched to leung sheung wing chun for 3 years, twc for about 2 years ,and for the past 4 years studied and practised the teachings of yip mans early students including chu shong tin, wong shun long, and leung sheung...which the later im officially back in the leung sheung family . i think im staying for a very long period of time....true root takes a while to cultivate.....;):D

kungfu cowboy
04-11-2002, 02:31 PM
Well, I did a little mime, a bit of breakin', and liked to dress like Ronald McDonald; sometimes all at once. Therapy changed all that.:(

azwingchun
04-12-2002, 08:21 AM
I began w/Judo then was later put into Kenpo, did a little wrestling, later on did some White Crane, Xing Yi, 7 Star Preying Mantis then Wing Chun. Not completely in that order, but close. Not to mention I now study Yang Tai Chi.;)

londoner2001
04-13-2002, 08:09 AM
Been doing Northern Shaolin kung fu for two and a half years, awful have always been interested inw ing chun, have now read 5 books on it and am convinved although grapplng may be needed as an addition to wing chun. Am currently lokoing through teachers, don't want to end up with someone who is not a good teacher, anyone advise someone for London apart form Victor Kan.