PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Style article

FIRE HAWK
05-15-2001, 08:55 AM
Riding the Wind: Dragon Style Kung Fu

INTRODUCTION
Long before Saint George encountered his legendary beast, the Dragon played an influential and beneficial role in Chinese culture. An amalgam of several creatures, including monitor lizards, pythons and the Chinese alligator, the polymorphic dragon was a water spirit, responsible for bringing the rains and thus insuring the survival of crops. The dragon was symbolic guardian to the gods, and was the source of true wisdom. This latter feature most likely resulted from the observation of the living reptilian counterparts which, usually at rest, seem to be in a near constant state of contemplation.

The dragon represented two of the ancient elements, Earth and Water, endowing the creature with powers of elusion and power. A Yang symbol, the Taoists saw the dragon as a personification of the Tao itself--"the Dragon reveals himself only to vanish." Shaolin Buddhists saw him as a vision of enlightened truth, to be felt, but never to be held. Certain very old men were called dragons, these being well versed in the life-supporting skills of herbal medicine, agriculture, and kung fu. In early China, these skills were surely a matter of life or death, and those so educated were held in high esteem.

ORIGIN OF THE DRAGON KUNG FU STYLE
The original stretching and twisting movements associated with Dragon (Lung Ch'uan) were part of Bodhidharma's exercises which he taught after founding Shaolin temple in Honan around 570 A.D. The true emergence of a martial discipline can be traced to about 1565 A.D., but the originators are uncertain. Two legends seem noteworthy. One states that the Shaolin nun Wu Mui created the style by using moves of deception and melding with an opponent. The other credits a monk, Mui Fa San Yang with contemplating his kung fu training and daydreaming about countermoves, when he became inspired by the twisting movements of the dragon. The style was called Yow Kueng Moon, and was advanced by Yang's abbot, Tit Yang Sum Si. Both these stories place the origin at Honan Shaolin Temple. Since then, Dragon Kung Fu has evolved into two distinct styles, Southern (1565) and Northern (1680). Each consists of non-temple variations, in essence units of instruction taken, incompletely, from Shaolin, and molded into family styles. A new synthesis to organize the Shaolin styles and systematize a combined approach was begun in 1972. Of historical note, the style considered southern was the original form brought south from Honan, while northern evolved in the north after the burning of the temple in 1570 A.D.

METHODS AND PHILOSOPHY
Dragon kung fu is essentially an internal, ch'i cultivating method, but initial training is far more similar to a hard, external style than a delicate, reptilian approach. In learning the moves, the student will strike hard, block hard and stomp into each position, with the idea of learning the proper place to be once each movement is complete. Eventually, the method of transmitting power is retained, and the physically strengthened body is able to make transitions in the proper, fluid manner. In turn, this reptilian smoothness helps disguise the attack, making it extremely difficult for an adversary to effectively counter.

Once a purely physical semblance to flow has been mastered, the disciple incorporates the deep hissing sounds to train ch'i flow. Inhaling is silent, but exhalation is deliberate, tense and controlled. Inhaling lightens the body for aerial maneuvers, while exhaling drives power into each technique. Blocking is dispensed with, and parries or simple strikes substituted. At this point, novice and advanced student show very little in common.

On the highest level, an opponent is allowed to tire himself out, evasion becoming the Dragon's key defense. Ch'i control is highly developed, and the degree to which the body must be moved to redirect or avoid impact is under greater control.

The forms that comprise this system are divided by complexity into three categories, and are enumerated below:

Basic
16 Hole
Passing Bridge Three Times
Fierce Tiger Leaping Over Wall
Rescue Master From Single Side
Single Sword and Mount
Press and Hit from Four Sides
Eagle Claw
Bridge Smashing
Intermediate
Touch Bridge (introduces sticking hands)
Venomous Snake Moves Tongue
Hua King's Fist
Standing Five-Form
Cross Standing Five-Form
Turn to Hook and Hit
Five Horses Returning to Stable Palm
Advanced
Plum Flower Punch
Seven Ways of Plum Flower Punch
In each form, one is taught to "ride the wind", a phrase which in large part means follow rather than lead. Provide no opening without first letting your opponent open. Unlike Crane, which also relies heavily upon evasion as a tactic, the Dragon evades primarily by rotation of upper or lower torso with little or no stance movements, while the Crane stylist hops frequently to reposition the entire body. Both styles employ pinpoint strikes to vulnerable meridian targets, but dragon also heavily uses tiger-like punches and clawing techniques, snake-like stance shifts, and leopard-like hit and run strikes to weaken a physically superior adversary. Dragon kung fu also regularly employs low sweeping techniques, but these are not unique; most senior stylists of any kung fu system use these on a weakened adversary.

BIU JI
05-16-2001, 02:33 PM
This Tit Yang is the same monk who passed the three highest internal forms of YAU KUNG MUN to it's founder Ha ho hung but this has been written before and got a fiery response from devout dragon pratictioners.
Although shows how these systems are so closely related. Everyone sees only the Pakmei forms in Yau Kun Mun, few have seen nor know of the internal forms.

sifuchuck
05-16-2001, 04:59 PM
The article is not too poorly written, but I think an editor should have been consulted before publication. There's the part where the dragon has the "powers of elusion and power." Oh yeah. If only I had the powers of power--hunh?

Then the thing that really crawls under my skin and dies is the reference to the southern temple in Honan. Honan? Excuse me, but that would be the northern temple. The southern temple would have been in Fujien (Fukien).

The part about the dates is also confusing unless you believe that Honan was the location of the southern temple. Toward the end I started to lose interest, so there may be other things upon which I could comment, but honestly, I just stopped reading.

meltdawn
05-16-2001, 08:28 PM
"...Mui Fa San Yang with contemplating his kung fu training and daydreaming about countermoves, when he became inspired by the twisting movements of the dragon. The style was called Yow Kueng Moon, and was advanced by Yang's abbot, Tit Yang Sum Si."

That doesn't say it's lung ying, it says it's yau kung mun.

This article sounds more like it is describing every dragon style, all bundled up into a neat package. I've read it before, but I can't remember where. Fire hawk?

I like the hissing and evading parts the best! ;)

"Waiting is bad." - Musashi

Buby
05-16-2001, 08:58 PM
ORIGIN OF THE DRAGON KUNG FU STYLE

"The true emergence of a martial discipline can be traced to about 1565 A.D., but the originators are uncertain. TWO LEGENDS SEEM NOTEWORTHY. One states that the Shaolin nun Wu Mui created the style by using moves of deception and melding with an opponent. THE OTHER credits a monk, Mui Fa San Yang with contemplating his kung fu training and daydreaming about countermoves, when he became inspired by the twisting movements of the dragon. The style was called Yow Kueng Moon, and was advanced by Yang's abbot, Tit Yang Sum Si. Both these stories place the origin at Honan Shaolin Temple. SINCE THEN, Dragon Kung Fu has EVOLVED into two distinct styles, Southern (1565) and Northern (1680)."

I guess I could be reading this wrong but I also understood that Dragon finds it's roots either in Wu Mui(nun) or in YKM, which was then further developed(YKM) by the Monk Tit Yun. So in essesence Lung Ying could find it's roots in YKM. That's not saying that LY didn't develope into it's own sytle after the fact, but rather that it could find it's roots/origins in YKM.

Then again the article could be wrong, but who's to say since none of us where present at that time.

Take care,
Bub

mantis108
05-16-2001, 10:47 PM
Assumption is mother of all f**k ups!

I have no beef against YKM's history/legends. But PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL before making such statement stating that there was such a monk as a fact and Lung Ying is linked and influenced by YKM. There is no copy right to the movements of Dragon nor to any animal for the matter. My personal understanding is that non of Lung Ying's masters or practitioners in any way, form, or shape have had and properly never ever will say such things as YKM has influence of and develop from Lung Ying. If YKM practitioners want to simple say their history might dates back and could be trace back to certain place, time and people, I have no problem with it. But infringing on other system's history, that's not right. I don't want to start a flame war and I repeat I have no beef about anything that concerns YKM. Just that I ask YKM folks to be mindful.

Peace

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa

wisdom mind
05-16-2001, 11:30 PM
I URGE ALL PARTICIPANTS TO KEEP COOL HEADS ON THIS ONE AND TO SEEK TRUTH, ILL BE WATHCING...GOOD LUCK IN TRAINING!

have you guys heard of Hak Mei? if so a simple yes is sufficient, i wont go into details at all on that one, just want to see who has similar teachings....peace, no beefs

[This message was edited by centerline vortex on 05-17-01 at 02:38 PM.]

meltdawn
05-17-2001, 01:10 AM
Buiji, Buby, no offence intended nor portrayed. We all have the teachings of our histories of our masters to believe or dismiss.

You are correct in that neither I nor my master were "there". That fact is of no bearing when I honor my ancestors.

Please consider that this acrticle comes from the Shaolin site we've ALL commented upon previously. The article is full of suppostion, alliteration and attempts to pidgeonhole a very rich and secreted style. The two presented theories of it's roots are not mainstream within the community. By saying that we disagree with a theory, we are not judging yau kung mun in any way.

However, we are all judged by our words here. The only PROOF can be found where words don't matter.

FIRE HAWK
05-17-2001, 04:15 AM
Hi guys i didnot write this article so i dont know what to make of it.I am confused about this article so you guys maybe can figure it out.To me it is confusion.

BIU JI
05-17-2001, 05:07 AM
No offence taken , in the past I jumped the gun perhaps and claimed YKM to be the origins of Lung Ying but this time I was merely stating this was the same monk that passed these internal forms down to Ha Ho Hung. Although who else besides Ha Ho Hung or Tit Tang learnt this style and where did they branch off. There could still be other styles out there that havent come public yet that have come from this same source.

If one did step forward and claimed their style is the origin of YKM I wouldnt find myself getting my nickers in a knot over it,(not that saying you are). Although you can see from this article(and its just an article yes) how you could think that so.

Would it be such a bad thing if it were true?

Buby- hows the family?

fiercest tiger
05-17-2001, 05:55 AM
i dont like this site, dragon being ykm or with links of some kind. who knows? the only thing is we will never know for sure and i dont really care. as long as we are happy practising kung fu and staying health with mind and body thats what its all about.

all styles arent pure and have mixture of different styles in it! as long as it works for you... :rolleyes:

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

FIRE HAWK
05-17-2001, 04:35 PM
http://www.loyola.edu/maru/s_dragon.html
http://www.shaolin.com/s_dragon_martialarts.html

FIRE HAWK
05-17-2001, 04:41 PM
Dragon

In Chinese mythology, the Dragon is one of the Four Divine Land Animals believed to have supernatural powers and played a part in the creation of the world. The other three are the Chi Ling, Phoenix, and Tortoise. The coiling Dragon has been a symbol of the Chinese Imperial Family for centuries. It is also the subject of many rituals and pageants including, the Dragon Boat races of Hong Kong bay and the colorful Chinese New Years Day parades.

Ancient Chinese legends' state, that Dragons could surf waves and float on the wind, give strength and courage to heroes and bring destruction to the enemies of 'good.' However Chinese Dragons can be either playful or frightening. There are many paintings depicting happy dragons frolicking in the clouds and rivers. There are stories crediting them with causing storms, floods, and earthquakes. A mark of the Dragon' s importance is the belief that Dragons controlled the rains and storms life-threatening events to a people who survived on agriculture and fishing.

There are two Dragon Styles in China, one that originated in north. The other style originating in the South. The Southern Dragon Style of Gung fu traces its origins to the Canton province Buddhist temple. No one truly knows exactly how Southern Dragon Style Gung Fu began. It was not taught outside the Canton temple walls until a monk named Tai Yut broke with tradition and taught the style to a layman, Lam Yiu Kwai. Lam Yiu Kwai, passed the style onto his son and grandson who popularized the style. Today it is growing in popularity in the United States.

"The principals of the style are posture and momentum, timing and sensitivity," according to Steve Martin, aninstructor at the Sojourn Past Martial Arts Institute. "These four ideas must be linked together and usedsimultaneously to play the style well. "

The Southern Dragon style, according to Shaolin Gung Fu practitioners, is considered the original form brought south from Hunan, while Northern Dragon evolved after the burning of the temple in 1570 A.D. The original Northern system is said to have developed from stretching and twisting movements that were part of Boddhidarma's exercises which he taught in about 570 A.D. The Martial Arts aspect of Dragon Style can be traced to about 1565 A.D., yet this is uncertain. Two distinct legends have been put forth as to its origin. One states that the Shaolin nun Wu Mui created the system by employing subtle movement and melding with an opponent. The legend credits the monk, Mui Fa San Yang with becoming inspired by the twisting movements of the dragon. The Dragon Style was called Yow Kueng Moon, and was promulgated by his abbot, Tit Yang Sum Si. These legends claim their lineage from the Hunan Shaolin Temple however, each consists of non-temple variations. Essentially pieces of the Shaolin Styles have been borrowd and molded into family styles.

Dragon Style Gung Fu is famous for its handwork. The heart of the system is a set called mor kiu or "magical arms. " It is a series of high-speed hand and arm techniques using punches, grabs, palm strikes, arm blocks, and elbow strikes. The "dragon character" is present in the speed, the coiling energy of the moves, and the chain attacks. It has been described as playing chess at warp speed.

In Chi Ling Dragon Style Gung Fu, power emanates from the coiling of the waist. Chi Lin Dragon system teaches to draw energy from the waist and project it through the strikes. Another trademark of the style is the concept that the bodies' energy is most efficient when it is used in a coiling or spiraling motion. Like coiling and uncoiling, of the Dragon the movements are in a continuous flow of energy. It manipulates the opponent by making him search for doors that are constantly opened and closed. Combined with the Chi Ling emphasis of Chi-Gung and Nui Gung and use, the Dragon is better left undisturbed.

http://www.chi-lin.org/bober1.htm

meltdawn
05-17-2001, 08:26 PM
This guy has taken the previous Shaolin Gung Fu article and added Lisa Neuwald's as well as a "third" dragon style, supposedly Chi Lin Kung Fu.

And on the site, we have the words "Kempo", "Chuan Fa" and "American Dragon".

So what's good?

Buby
05-17-2001, 09:48 PM
I hope you didn't take what I wrote the wrong way. All I was trying to say was that according to the story LY could find it's roots in the internal forms that later became known as YKM. That's all.

I was never trying to imply that it actually came from YKM. To be honest,(please don't take this the wrong way) I could care less. They are both great systems. I just like hearing/learning about different systems and where they came from.

Oh, and no offense taken.

Biu Ji- The family is doing fine, thanks. How are you holding up?

Sifu - True indeed. I'll be surfuing the web from home by this weekend. I'll drop you an e-mail with my home e-mail address. Take care and have fun!!!

Buby

Buby
05-17-2001, 10:00 PM
Mantis 108 - Never did I say/assume that LY came from YKM. All I was stating was that the story said, there were two possible stories of how dragon came about. That's all and nothing more!

Buby

mantis108
05-17-2001, 11:20 PM
Hi Buby,

Thank you for clarifying. I guess I have misunderstood your comment. My apologies. :)

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa

BIU JI
05-18-2001, 03:27 AM
Aah and all ends well! It's all merely speculation.

Buby
05-20-2001, 12:03 AM
No problem, buddy!!!

Bro, I like the sound effect thingy you got going.LOL

Take care,
Buby