PDA

View Full Version : Got into a serious car accident...I'm okay, but I've come to a decision

Ryu
04-10-2002, 11:04 PM
Tonight I totaled my car, and crashed it headfirst into a downward road rail. I'm not gonna get into the details about it because this post isn't about that. Miraculously I'm not hurt. Not even a scratch. My muscles are a little sore because I braced my self and absorbed the impact, but other than that things are okay.
When I crashed I somehow knew I wasn't going to be hurt...
the strangest thing is that I was coming home from a heart to heart talk with a girlfriend of mine, and we were talking about how angry I've felt at things lately, and how I'm growing more annoyed, angry, etc. at people and things.

If I had died tonight...I wouldn't have left much to the world except anger. That's pretty sad. I spend too much time complaining about bad things, and not doing what it takes to make a difference in things. I'm too timid to jump into things I think. I hide it with big muscles and a tough guy face, and martial art skills. But the truth is, I have struggled a lot through my life with insecurity, and low confidence. Meanwhile people go past me and do what they do for the world.
I'm determined right now not to simply be someone who doesn't leave something for the world. I feel there are a lot of "wrongs" out there, and I'm going to speak my mind on them.
I have also found a path to focus all my energies on training and martial arts. I am not going to fight in NHB, I'm not going to worry about tough guy stuff anymore. I'm going to focus my training and energy into the realms of writing, entertainment, teaching self-defense, and trying to leave my mark in what I feel is the right way to see certain things.
I'm going to write a book on JKD (my experiences with it, and I don't care who likes it or not. I'm not going to keep pushing myself back because I'm too afraid of people who are "better" then me who will say I'm not good or whatever other stupid insecurity I've had since I was a kid. I'm starting somewhere, so I am going to teach self-defense, privately at first, but maybe get into it more professionally, and get another instructorship in JKD (next will be full instructorship)
Plus I'm going to write about what I feel is right and wrong, and how I think MA training should effect those things. I'm going to try and break into entertainment somehow and show people the way "I" think ... what my feelings are. My self-expression.
And I don't care if it sounds dumb, idealistic, cute, whatever...
I'm not going to quit. I'm not going to shy away from my future.
You never know how much time you have,
and I'm not going to spend it complaining and being angry. I'm not going to spend it being afraid. I'm going to deal with any crisis with a controlled and calm spirit, just like I did tonight.

Goodnight guys.
Ryu

gazza99
04-10-2002, 11:07 PM
Nice inspiring post.... Good luck RYU!!!

-Gary

fightfan
04-10-2002, 11:14 PM
Every man has to choose his path alone. Good luck and God bless you Ryu.

joedoe
04-10-2002, 11:15 PM
Sorry to hear about your car. But I am glad to hear you are OK.

Great post. At least something good has come of your accident :)

jon
04-10-2002, 11:16 PM
This is exactly the reason your so popular around here Ryu, you speak from your heart and you follow your own path.
Im glad to hear your not hurt regarding the accident and im doubly glad to hear it has given you a new zest for life.
Im glad i read this post, im just off to my girlfriends 21st birthday and this has put me in a fine mood. Your a good man Ryu and when you publish your book be sure to let us all know. There is proberly many here including me who would be very interested in your writings. One day i hope to write and teach myself so as to give something back.
All the best
Jon

red_fists
04-10-2002, 11:18 PM
Ryu

Nice Post.

Funnily I have learned that some of the meanest toughest looking People are also some with the softest.

If you wann see the same go with some of the "tough" Bikers on a "Toy-Run" and afterwards help them distribute the Toys in Orphanages and Wards for terminally ill Children.
You will hardly see a dry eye.

On of the most rewarding things I everr did was help redecorate and refurbish a Hospital for handicapped children.
We even painted a 3x4 metres mural for them. Wife did the Design.
It was all done on one weekend and we never met the Kids, but got feedback from the Hospital afterwards.

Reason why I organised it. My company had a world help day and mucked it up royally. So we Bikers managed to get ALL materials donated and voluntered our free time.

So what's the purpose of this long post.

"True tough Guys know when to be tough and when to be soft."

Seeya.

wushu chik
04-10-2002, 11:33 PM
Well hon....
We all in the KFO chatroom are glad you are ok, and that everything came into focus for you. It's horrible that something like a car accident would make you realize all this, but it's also good in a way as well! We all wish you the best of luck!

Sincerely,
Wendy and the gang!

prana
04-10-2002, 11:34 PM
Glad you're okay buddy.

Sounds good, your decisions and glad you came out of it with such strong spirits !

Take care,,,
'

Tae Li
04-10-2002, 11:40 PM
Ryu, completely relived to hear you are not hurt, but what a beautiful and inspirational post. Im glad that you walked away from this horific incident with a positive view on your future:)

I believe that there is a reason for everything, so perhaps, the reason for this accident is so you could choose or follow your destint accordingly.

Peace be with everyone.

Just hope you still have your sense of humour, cos that my friend is a true healer.

Tae Li;)

Xebsball
04-10-2002, 11:42 PM
Glad youre okay

Also happy to see that you can come out with something good out of a bad situation.

Like said in a song you should love people like today was your last day.

rubthebuddha
04-10-2002, 11:53 PM
ryu-

was having a chat with wen and she found out -- i about flipped. she said you were okay, and i was much better.

almost flipped out and kicked my mom in the head for a second.

anyhoo, i'm glad you're okay, i'm glad you've come to some positive realizations (especially the writing part) and i hope this is a turning point for the best for you.

now how about your poor car?

-dave

scotty1
04-11-2002, 01:00 AM
Glad the negative impact of something like a car crash affected you in a positive way.

"with A girlfriend of mine" LOL!! ;) j/k Ryu, we know you're a gent!

Cody
04-11-2002, 01:14 AM
I'm relieved that you're okay. Very much so, cause often in life it doesn't work that way.

I enjoyed the story you posted recently, because I was just There. I was in the scene within a couple of sentences. Have you thought of doing screenplays? Like turning one of your stories into 3D artform. I know that sounds rather ambitious, but it occurred to me.

Know how it feels to realize that changes have to be made. The shift inside mind and heart can be triggered by one of a combination of immediate factors. All of a sudden, there is momentum, and it's rapid. It happened to me over the month.

We all have fears of how our ideas and how we, ourselves, will be received in this world which can be so cruel. Self confidence is shored up by self-liking. People can shower you with all kinds of ooohh's and aahh's, but if there is inner dissatisfaction, like anger over not feeling able to do something about that is important to you cause you don't have the confidence, or, a person could feel very low on the food chain of life (under the thumbs of others who would do better to sit on their hands), that takes away from that liking. Over time, it does harm. I think you threw off some baggage with the jolt. Good job! You sound like a good guy.

I hope that you meet with success in a timely fashion. :)

Cody

devere
04-11-2002, 01:53 AM
It's weird how you need a near-death experience to realize what's really important in life isn't it? I feel ya...

I believe out of everything bad that happens to you, something good can come from it. Be it an accident, a breakup, losing yr job, etc. It's all how you look at it. Obviously, Ryu, you found the "good" in this - it's cool that you're smart enough to take advantage of that to make changes that are positive...

dezhen2001
04-11-2002, 03:28 AM
well, i'm a day behind with this, but still Ryu, glad you're ok :)
I agree with what some of the others have said also Your posts have always been very informative, so i'm sure you'll do a good job at whatever you turn your hand to :)

Best of luck,
david

Sharky
04-11-2002, 04:12 AM
Same. 3 weeks ago i drove my friend home in his car (he said i was insured) near his inbread house in wales. anyway to cut a long story short, the brakes failed, and we ended up hitting a flat brick wall at 40mph. this was 2 days before my maths exam. we didn't get hurt. car was obviously a write off. good job he had an estate. we wen't head first into the wall.

but just for fun, it turns out i wasn't insured. i was gonna goto prison according to his brother, who is a solicitor. this had me stressing for a week and we both went into a deep depression.... we'reboth out of it now (we don't have time to be depressed, we have too much work) but we def. have had our heads fu.cked with. i know how traumatising it is, ok, no one died (hopefully) or was hurt so it's not like the end of the world (you still got your health etc) but it still fu.cks u up. i was feeling low and couldn't even be bothered to post about it here, that's what depression does to u (lol).

managed to blag it at the police station a week later and made up some elaborate story about how the insurance papers which actually say that i'm not insured mean that i am. guess i got the giift of gab!

it's my mates fault for having faulty brakes (car not serviced) and thinking i was insured when i wasn't but i still felt pretty much wholly responcible. But i pressed the brakes and nothing happened! It wouldn't turn either cos the brakes were ABS and so turning the wheel did nothing.

In fact the policeman checked them at the scene of the crime and said.... "boys.... i just checked your brakes... and i pressed the pedal and it went all the way to the floor... now... you don't want me to file a report for faulty brakes... DO YOU?" (at this point we all thought it was insured). we thanked him for turning a blind eye.

sorry for jackin ur thread.

self defence is a great way to pass knowledge on. i hope for all best for you man.

rogue
04-11-2002, 05:47 AM
Glad you're OK Ryu and have some more focus on what's important.

Sharky
04-11-2002, 05:53 AM
Hey ryu, how do you wanna get involved in entertainment? Acting? Singing? etc.

Cheers.

guohuen
04-11-2002, 06:34 AM
Man, glad your OK Ryu! Expect to be sore tomorrow. Awesome life decisions you made. Don't forget that MA is were we get the juice for the other stuff!

Royal Dragon
04-11-2002, 06:55 AM
You.....ummm....like...........didn't wrecka really cool car did you?? Like a 68 Chevell or 70 1/2 Camaro??

Oh, nice to see yur Ok too!!!!:D

shaolinboxer
04-11-2002, 07:04 AM
It seems your body is already very strong, Ryu. You will be happier, I think, as you strengthen your mind and heart.

Glad you are ok, and good luck to you.

Sharky
04-11-2002, 07:05 AM
Yeah, forgot to say - it won't hit you for a day or two - but expect to be very sore like bredrin mensioned. Your neck will hurt. See a doctor just to make sure mate.

Take care.

Mutant
04-11-2002, 07:19 AM
Ryu,
Sorry to hear about your car crash, thats really scary....glad to hear that you are healthy and came through okay.

The insight that you brought away from it is fantastic. Dealing with something negative and potentially destructive, and then turning it into positive energy and inspiration that you can grow from is great use of your knowlege and training.

Its ironic how sometimes it takes staring death in the face to make life come into clearer focus.

bamboo_ leaf
04-11-2002, 07:25 AM
good luck in all things,

a woman is the root of a mans streanght, really know this and your life will be complet.

shaolinboxer
04-11-2002, 07:29 AM
I second that, bamboo.

norther practitioner
04-11-2002, 07:40 AM
aumitofu, good to hear you are ok

Ray Pina
04-11-2002, 08:51 AM
Funny, I have always viewed you as a solid, well rounded, conscienscious man with a good mind.

Even more funny, since you posted your "short comings" I only view you in that light more so.

Its good one one feels so heavily about things they are not pleased when viewing themself. Wise simply to look. Enlightened to put actions in motion to remedy.

I'll wish you the best but know that you know you don't need that. You have everything already my friend.;)

hughes
04-11-2002, 09:16 AM
Good luck with it all Ryu. And for the self defence side, remember to keep it realistic - after all not all of your students will be as big/strong as you so you couldn't get a 100lb woman to throw a 200lb guy.

Aramus
04-11-2002, 09:52 AM
Good luck in writing. Just tell me when it is done, I'll be happy to purchase it/that/those , etc.

Don't get discouraged, you've started on a path, the road gets rough. Many famous people were rejected lots of time before they prevailed. I hope you succeed. I know there are a lot of people pulling for you.

On the writing part, this can be tough. I had a friend that has waited years to publish a comic book and has done so recently. He also told me of some guys in Ohio who were great animators but poor writers looking for a good story. I don't know if they are still looking, but have you thought about that medium?

Anyway, good luck. Glad to hear you are ok!

Peace.

dezhen2001
04-11-2002, 10:01 AM
Yeah - u could do something like Japanese Anime or the Jackie Chan cartoon :D Martial Arts but with a message... :)

good luck in whatever u do Ryu,
david

diego
04-11-2002, 10:41 AM
good luck in all things,

a woman is the root of a mans streanght, really know this and your life will be complet.

:D

Ryu, bet your backs sore nowm eh; The next day...always hits when you wake up.
Rest easy!

JasBourne
04-11-2002, 10:58 AM
What if ur a woman. Or a gay woman. Har. :D

Love in your heart is the root, the foundation of all joy in life.

You just keep walking your path, Ryu, you're gonna be fine. You are already the man you want to be, you just don't believe it yet.

Ryu
04-11-2002, 11:52 AM
Thanks everyone,
You guys really are great.
The car is fixable, but barely. Actually I'm not even that sore today... feels like I lifted weights or so, but nothing real bad. I slept okay too.
Again thanks to all you guys for your wonderful posts and support. :)

Ryu

rogue
04-11-2002, 01:23 PM
Get your Ryu self to a doctor and have him check you out anyway.

raving_limerick
04-11-2002, 01:51 PM
Glad to see you're alright Ryu, and I'm happy you've found your calling. It's a shame it didn't come less painfully, I suppose, but what can ya do? :)

The world needs more writers and especially those like you, who really do care about what they write. Best of luck in your future endevors.

...(hey, and if you get a book deal, would ya put a kind word in for me? ;) )

Fighter
04-11-2002, 01:54 PM
Glad your ok Ryu. Always try to find something good in the bad. If you do that, you will become a stronger person on the inside. When you do write that JKD book, can you send me a copy?:)

Sharky
04-11-2002, 02:02 PM
listen to rogue. when i crashed, my friend had his hand trapped behind the seatbelt. he went thru all teh trauma, did our exam, then his hand started hurting... he had broken his hand!

take care of urself! goto the doctor!

Edd

Badger
04-12-2002, 09:24 AM
Head on car crash into a wall...not a broken bone..not even a scratch?

Didnt you once have a job as a security guard??

Ryu, when was the last time you were sick???

Glad your ok man.

Badger

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-12-2002, 04:02 PM
ryu ..

most traumatic experiences will leave you with an entirely new taste in your mouth. the important thing is to never forget that taste even after it has been washed down by countless other meals. your revalations will likely be intense for a good while conisdering the nature of your experience, but try to never let that go man. always keep a single word in mind that will let you go back to exactly how you feel right now. it's too easy to forget with the grind slowly mashing it out of you.

you probably already know that, but i'm no good for telling people things they don't know.

DelicateSound
04-12-2002, 04:02 PM
Be grateful that you have recognised this. Yes, it's taken an NDE to sh!t you up, but you're an intellectual guy, you've realised that you want to make a difference, rather than just drifting; the task now is to make it happen.

Hell, give me the ISBN number and I'd buy your book! :)

You're a sound guy Ruy, I'm glad you're OK. Whatever you turn to, be it literature or writing or whatever, I wish you luck.

raving_limerick
04-12-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Ralek
Wouldn't it have been funny if you had ended up in a wheel chair? Then instead of having a spiritual revelation you would have had the opposite and lashed out and started blaming other people and become bitter.

Just shows how if the near death experience is TOO traumatic it can have the opposite effect and make you a bitter, sullen person. If i were in a wheel chair i would probably kill myself.

If only we were so lucky...

Ralek
04-12-2002, 04:27 PM
Renegade monk is deleting my posts again.

Silumkid
04-12-2002, 04:31 PM
So if you, Ralek, aren't a little bitter troll in a wheelchair who lies on the internet just to pretend you have a modicum of a life, what then is your excuse?

Renegade Monk is deleteing your posts because you contribute nothing, much like the effect you have on your mother's life aside from the painkiller addiction.

Glad you are OK by the way, Ryu. Keep an eye on yourself for a few days though.

Ralek
04-12-2002, 07:29 PM
I'm glad your OK Ryu. But instead of having a spiritual revelation about being non-violent i think you should compete in NHB or do some challenge matches. How can you truly hone your skill without having some real fights in a safe environment? It's the best way to test your fighting.

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-12-2002, 07:29 PM
hey ralek (http://users.1st.net/abaddon/ponch.jpg)

Starchaser107
04-12-2002, 07:36 PM
All the best