PDA

View Full Version : The New Excersise Pill that is in development and it's effects on the Martial Arts.

Crazy dog
04-11-2002, 10:59 AM
I Have been watching the news recently and they had this story about an enzyme that can improve muscle strength and endurance by increasing the mitochondria in the muscle cells. The enzyme is called calmoduline-dependent protein kinase. Essentially it interacts with calcineurin in the muscles and allows for the mitochondria to reproduce. This give the muscles more strength and endurance. Essentially it may make excersise obsolete. My concern is that if it becomes available to athletes if this will have any effect on the Martial Arts seen.

Repulsive Monkey
04-15-2002, 09:15 AM
Not for internal martial artists, no!

Silumkid
04-15-2002, 11:03 AM
Crazy,

Not likely. Like I said in another thread on this same subject and someone else mentioned...mitochondral process is something we don't fully understand yet so I won't be surprised if this pill gets shelved because of unwanted effects. Also, even if this pill works exactly the way it is supposed to with no side effects, taking a pill will in no way be a substitute for learning a skill.

Crazy dog
04-17-2002, 08:36 AM
See if it works you won't have to focus on doing excersise that are long like pushups. You could concentrate on learning the skill and take less time developing endurance. Endurance is vital in martial arts.

joedoe
04-17-2002, 05:43 PM
I don't know much about physiology, but would a pill like that improve cardiovascular endurance as well? It will make you stronger but will it necessarily make you fitter?

Crazy dog
04-18-2002, 06:50 AM
If your heart consists of muscles then I would think that it would do something for the heart.

ElPietro
04-18-2002, 10:21 AM
Simply increasing mitochondria within the muscle cells won't come close to replacing exercise. Also, the number of mitochondria within a cell will determine whether a muscle fibre is aerobically strong or anaerobically strong...so i'm not sure how increasing the number does both. Either muscle tissue is good at using oxygen as it's fuel source, or glycogen as it's source. My physiology may be a bit rusty as I haven't read up on this in a while but to me it doesn't add up.

ratman201
04-23-2002, 12:37 PM
Don't let the Mitchondria reproduce!!! Didn't you ever play "Parasitre Eve" for playstation!!!

Sorry I'm delerious. Toomuch $5 vodka and not enough sleep makes me babble nonsense.

ratman201
04-23-2002, 12:48 PM
Seriously though. Long ago in pre history. During the age of all single celled organisms. Mitochondria were a unique organism unto themselves. During the course of eveolution certain organisms (being the ancestors of Animals) and mitochondria happened apon a mutually benefical relationship. Mitochondria produce energy in cell (ATP). Now during the present age they are inseperable from animal cell and a vital part of life. They do not exist independently from our own cells now. This was the theory presented to me in biology class anyway. It just seams that it can't be a good idea to have them reproduce more rapidly.

Kune
04-25-2002, 05:51 PM
Well gee, like 80-90% of the "health" pills and whatnot will probably be recalled because it will cause grand mal seizures, nausea, liver damage, or cause your heart to explode... and thats just the short term effect ;) What about the negative long term effects.. ohwait, there isnt any(labeled on the container at least).

Honestly, how many times has some drug/pill/supplement been released with so many bad side effects, that they had to be recalled... bout once a month at least.. hrmmm

I wouldnt take none'O them pills if they paid me 100 bucks per pill...

~kune