PDA

View Full Version : Choy lai fut and Wing Chun (yet again, heh)

Psirus
05-06-2001, 07:43 AM
Here is my schools training program...it has both wing chun and clf, tell me what you think...shuold i persue this?

Level I

Starts with a combination set of styles from southern China known as Nanquan. Nanquan includes techniques from three primary martial arts styles: Wing Chun, Choy Lai Fut, and Tiger Crane. These forms deal with close range applications, with training focused on developing leg strength, stance work, and basic self defense techniques.

Level II

Introduces a staff form and continues with northern Long Fist, or Changquan, style. Training with the Staff teaches the use of a weapon as an extension of the body, and builds groundwork for later long handled weapon forms. Long Fist, which is more acrobatic than Nanquan, requires a higher degree of fitness with emphasis on flexibility and coordination.

Level III

Level three Kung Fu includes a variety of more dynamic forms including Eagle Claw, Drunken Boxing, and Monkey styles. At this stage, training is also available in a variety of traditional kung fu weapons like the straight-sword, halberd, spear, three section staff and others.

Thank you for reading, i think im oging to train here, do you think its a good idea?

- Psirus

CLFNole
05-06-2001, 06:11 PM
Sounds like a wushu school to me. Nan Chuan and Chang Chuan are compulsory wushu forms. The advanced forms also sound like wushu forms.

Peace.

Psirus
05-06-2001, 11:09 PM
****it, do you meen contemperary wushu? ************, i wanna learn good kung fu, not how to dance with a pointy stick, heh:)(dont' take that seriously, i don't relaly have anything against contemporary wushu, i just don't wanna do it, heh)

- Psirus

Fu-Pow
05-07-2001, 01:14 AM
May be wushu, but could be Chop Suey....

Fu-Pow
http://www.makskungfu.com/images/Graphics/logo.gif
"If you are talking about sport that is one thing. But when you are talking about combat-as it is-well then, baby, you'd better train every part of your body" - Bruce Lee

word
05-11-2001, 11:05 AM
sounds like sifu meng's wushu school that teaches all styles including wing chun, hung gar, choy lay fut, tai chi, praying mantis but geuss what they learn, wushu!!!!!!!

WongFeHung
05-11-2001, 04:50 PM
anyone who calls Tiger Crane a style, doesn't know his Kung-Fu. It's a form, Hung-Ga is the style, Tiger Crane is simply one of the forms practiced in it. This problem arose when one prolific Sifu called his school, Fu-Hok P'ai, and the name stuck.The Tiger crane form is usually the one most often demonstrated due to its blend of hard and soft movements and dynamic nature. But make no mistake, Hung-Ga is the Five Animal system.(anyone get the impression that this is an issue with me?;-) Hey, out of curiosity, what CLF forms do you do? So far you just mentioned wu-shu sets.

YeutYatChapChoy
05-12-2001, 12:46 AM
This is not exactly true.
In our area of China, the Hung Gar and Sil Lum is often refered to as Foo Hok Pai.
The reason is that there are many lineages and traditions to celebrate in the Hung Gar taught throughout the world. The truth is that many village arts are a blend of all the indigenous arts and techniques locally and imported. Therefore the arts in the villages become blended and are often refered to as Foo Hok Pai to celebratre the ****genous and liberal mix of five animal sil lum, fut gar, CLF, whatever, into the mix.
I refer to our art as Foo Hok Pai, because my sifu does also, and all his si hing and sifu's do also.
And trust me, the do know a little about kung fu:-)