PDA

View Full Version : Mantis Styles Specific Magazine

mantis108
04-11-2002, 11:01 AM
I was flipping through some grappling/NHB magazines (yes me bad...lol) which my student gave me. In these mag. that are quite a few pages that are "dense" with techniques and most of them have photos as well. However, quite a few of them are more or less variations of the same technique (ie Triangle Choke). So I was thinking to myself, we mantis have at least 10 times more material (techniques, history, people, etc). What if we have a mag. specific of our own? I am talk a Pan-Mantis Styles magazine in similar format to the Grappling type magazine. Would you support it (Gene, I hope you are reading this as well) ? :)

So I conduct the poll to see if there would be support at all. You may only vote for one option only to keep the poll accurate. Thanks for the input.

Mantis108

PaulLin
04-11-2002, 11:50 AM
I vote interested as a MA researcher, because you don't have the option of "interested as a Chinese MA researcher".

SaMantis
04-11-2002, 03:15 PM
I agree, it would be interesting to have a magazine as a focal point for mantis styles. There's enough variation in forms, fighting techniques and histories that you could fill the pages every month.

But maybe something with a professional look, more like "Journal of Chinese Martial Arts" and less like "No-Holds-Barred Grappling Bonanza!!!"

Siuhoimoon
04-11-2002, 06:50 PM
That's a great idea, a magazine only dedicated to Mantis Kung Fu.

We could have a deeper knowledge of the art, seeing how diferents mantis branches aply their techniques compared to others. I think every chinese martial artist, specially the mantis stylists, would grow a lot with this.

PaulLin
04-11-2002, 10:56 PM
It is about time that we should do this.

diego
04-12-2002, 03:52 PM
have you seen rene ritchie and robert chu's book complete wingchun, where it breaks down the known lineages, with excerpts from masters and thier lineages. and thier website wingchunkuen.com, or hungga.net or emptyflower.com a motherboard for hsingyi, you guys should work on building a graphically appealing mantis world? online, parrallel to what those guys have done.
by the way, do you know any other motherboards like mentioned, for any style! of chinese kungfu, any links would be appreciated.
And as a chinese ma i would love to see this site.
Good Day

Mantis9
04-12-2002, 04:17 PM
:D

mantis108
04-12-2002, 05:10 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for the support and those great suggestions. I think this poll clearly show a support for such a magazine. Next step is to gather the like-minded people to begin the work.

As for the website, I think there are plenty of good PM sites already. Having said that there are really few PM sites that gives application movie clips like the Xing Yi and Wing Chun counter parts. So we PM stylist are in a way behind everybody. BTW, I should mention that Sifu Ilya Profatilov is IMHO among the top researchers in Praying Mantis Kung Fu. So do look for his work. :)

Hi Paul,

I think you are right I should have add that option as well. But good thinking on your part to clarify that. Chat later

Regards

Mantis108

PaulLin
04-15-2002, 05:32 PM
:) So, where and when do we start?

SaMantis
04-16-2002, 09:15 AM
mantis108,

My kungfu knowledge is not very high, but in my other life I'm a copy editor. I'd be happy to help put together a magazine! E-mail me if you're interested. :)

mantis108
04-16-2002, 03:20 PM
Hi Paul,

Next is to see who would like to get involve in starting such a project. At present to create a magazine is at a planning stage. I have no such experience yet. It would be great if someone has experience can point the way. I can see there would be a market for it if we Mantis players really come together and make it work. Perhaps we should look a group of people, a council if you will to begin with

Hi SaMantis,

Really appreciate your expertise in this matter. I'm open to any of your input since you have experience in this matter. Quite frankly, I am love to learn from you on this. Thanks for the offer, I am glad that you are willing to help. :)

Regards

Mantis108

yu shan
04-16-2002, 09:53 PM
a great thread, with as usual great Kung fu people contributing. with the usual quality, PaulLin, Mantis108, someone cantact Tainan Mantis. good luck great idea!

Hau Tien
04-17-2002, 08:49 AM
Hey everyone...

As a 7* Mantis practitioner, I'd be very interested in helping a Mantis style magazine get off the ground. While I don't have magazine experience, I do have a lot of graphic and advertisement design experience.

Drop me a line if you think you might need a hand in that area...

D. Scott Dellinger
AKA Hau Tien
dscott@gmx.net

Fen
04-17-2002, 10:16 PM
Good idea!!! But 1st ask Gene to see if TC Meda will do a issue on P.M.KF!!! To see if it will do good? And if it Does then maybe they will help you out!!!

FIRE HAWK
04-17-2002, 11:02 PM
Would this Magazine also include Southern Mantis ?

PaulLin
04-26-2002, 03:54 PM
Any news on the magazing making?

Stacey
04-27-2002, 07:41 AM
I don't think you have a potential markey, however, most of those kung fu mags accept submissions and I always buy a good mantis article. We need more technique articles to see what styles prefer application wise.

Anyway, use the available kung fu mags to submit your own articles.

TKD has its own, but thats an olympic sport. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, I just don't think there is enough money to support its making.

mantis108
04-27-2002, 01:49 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for all the great responses. I am glad that there is a support for such an idea. SaMantis has emailed some great ideas to me. Thanks SaMantis. :D

Hau Tien,

Great to have another Canunk interested. :) Will be in contact soon.

Tao of Wushu,

You know that's a great suggestion. I shall contact him. Thanks

Paul,

You know I think you definately should consider writing something for our community.

Stacey,

Thank you for the input.

Anyway, thanks everyone. I shall update you on the development as it unfold. Hope more people will come on board for this adventure.

Regards

Mantis108

mantis108
04-27-2002, 02:52 PM
FireHawk,

Almost forgot to mention, I am not sure if Southern Mantis folks would want to participate. I personally don't have any contact with Southern Mantis. As far as I know there is no common link between Northern and Southern Mantis.

Regards

Mantis108

PaulLin
04-27-2002, 08:07 PM
Well, as for now, I am have done in developing most of the skills that against TKD, Mui-Tai, JiuJitsu, Jodo, Karate, and Shoot styles. I am starting to seek chances and test them out in real case, in my University and around the nighborhood. The only condition that don't fit here is that I didn't work just in the Mantis style, I used a lot of moves in combined with BaGua, Xing-Yi, ShuaiChiao, ShiaoLinChinNa, and TanTui. There are a lot of moves that Mantis' foundation didn't effectively support, they must be able to put to use effectively by training under their own foundation. If I add those foundations into 8 steps, it will be no longer 8 steps. And I don't see a reason to add these into a single style, it will be not easy to name it in the fairness of all the styles that was in it. So I would rather keep them under their own style training. I don't really think of which style the moves came form when actuall respond to a situation.

Stacey
04-28-2002, 12:39 PM
Paul Lin, considering that 8 step is a complete system, why not? I mean you have the same techniques as the other styles, why not pick up some training methods. We have picked up drills from boxing/wrestling not to mention the countless traditional drills. Focus mits are new, but the are a great asset. Tai Chi drills are also very complimentary. I wouldn't worry about the style changing. It hasn't stayed static since Wong Long created it. Learn and grow in the style. I'm not sure I see where the conflict is.

PaulLin
04-28-2002, 01:56 PM
If you say that all MA under the heaven are all belong to the same family, there are that kind of saying form the past in China. And yet, you can improve your CMA by incorperating other styles into your main style. The points has 2: it will not be fair to the past masters who has contributed so greatly into each styles that you incorperated in, let's say under 8 step, then all the Xing-Yi, BaGua, TaiChi, ShuaiChiao, and ChinNa masters in the past has their credit hidden under the 8 step name. If I put up with a new name for it, then the tradition will be lost in time form that point. (that is how many TDK and Karate were doing so much by parroting othre styles and claim under their own system, I hate that parroting so much and I don't think I will become one EVER!)

Also, when incorperate styles in, you will only take what you think is advanced and ignor the parts that you think is worthless. But each person's knowledge are limitted and by not saving the original foundations of each styles, the further researching is limitted. Then yet, you like to applying them more and I like to research them more, so that may not consider you.

The most thing I will do is to relat them rather than squeeze them under one roof. I will still keep them in thire own roofs and put referencial bridges among them.

dezhen2001
04-29-2002, 03:59 AM
i don't prectise NPM, but just wanted to say that i think it's great to see ppl working together instead of bickering for a change,

good luck :)

david

Siuhoimoon
05-12-2002, 05:36 PM
Hey guys, and the magazine?? I can't wait to buy the number one!!:D :)