PDA

View Full Version : 3 questions...

PHILBERT
04-11-2002, 11:45 AM
I was originally going to post 3 different threads, but rather than waste space, I'll post all 3 at once. Please, if you answer, right 1, 2, and/or 3 so I know which one you are answering. Thanks.

1.) Last Tuesday when I was jogging, I started feeling a pain on the left side of my chest. I stopped jogging and walked the rest of the distance. This happened today again, but this started only 2 minutes into my jog while the other day I was almost finished. This pain is incredibly...painful and I can't ignore it. I don't feel it when I bench, or use any other exercise machine. Only jogging. Any ideas what it is?

2.) On the lateral pull down machine, is it true that it will make your back more the shape of a V? I do this as well as chin ups each workout now (since I've heard that it changes the shape, I use to only do pull ups).

3.) What kind of special training do you recommend for tournaments? Should there be certain gym things you'd recommend such as jog longer, lift more weights, etc?

Thanks.

IronFist
04-11-2002, 12:54 PM
2.) On the lateral pull down machine, is it true that it will make your back more the shape of a V? I do this as well as chin ups each workout now (since I've heard that it changes the shape, I use to only do pull ups).

Lateral pull down? Do you mean "lat pull down?" I always thought the "lat" meant latissimus dorsi, not lateral, but I don't know.

Developing your lats will give you a V shape if you're not carrying extra weight on your waist. If that is the case, you'll still have a V shape you just won't be able to see it.

When the lats get big, they look like a V. So, yes, lat pull downs have the potential to give you a V shape. So do pullups (hands a few inches out from shoulder width and palms facing AWAY from you). If you do pullups with your palms in and your hands close together, it will hit mostly your biceps and your lats won't get that much benefit.

So, to answer your question, there's nothing special about the movement of a lat pull down machine, because it's the same as wide grip pullups. The only difference might be that a pulldown machine might give you the ability to use the proper amount of weight for you to adaquately stimulate muscle growth in the lats. Make sense?

If you get big lats, you will have a V shape. It doesn't matter what exercise you do to make them big, however. Pulldowns, pullups, bent over rows, whatever.

1 and 3: I dunno.

IronFist

PHILBERT
04-11-2002, 01:32 PM
I don't know why I said lateral.

Anyway, on my pull ups, we have several choices at my gym. They have one of those big machines that have weights on both sides and you can do any muscle of the body. It looks like a large rectanle, but its missing the bottom part of it. You probably know what I speak of.

Anyway on this machine, at the top they have a bar about 6 feet long designed to do pull ups of any choice. Then they have 2 bars that stick out on the side to do pull ups. I usually use these for pull ups. When I grip them, my palms face each other, so my right palm faces left and left palm faces right. I use this to do pull ups. Are these good pull ups to work the back or should I do them like the lat pull down? I want to do pull ups that work the entire back or the most back muscles and have heard the pull ups that I do now work alot of back muscles.

I do the lat pull down though to work the lats and put my hands on the rubber grip on each side so I can work them. I probably will get the v shape eventually, I dont have alot of fat on my belly (I can sport a 6 pack if I really flex my abs).

IronFist
04-11-2002, 02:03 PM
Ah, I know what you speak of :)

The parallel pullup bars are good for working your biceps and forearms from a different angle, but because your arms are close together you are still not optimally hitting the back.

To fully target the lats, to pullup or lat pulldowns with your hands wider than shoulder width (but not like REALLY far apart, just a few inches wider than shoulder width) and your palms facing away from you. You should get a pump in your lats if you do enough.

Not that I'm endorsing training for a pump, I'm just saying that if you get a pump in a body part you are working it :)

Then again, I'm pretty sure most mass building workouts result in a pump.

Let me know if you need further explination.

IronFist

chyisan
04-11-2002, 11:45 PM
Philbert. You said the pain is on the left side. First thing that comes to mind is the heart, since it's on the left. I'm assuming that you're fairly fit and in good health, so it shouldn't be a heart problem.

Now, what other symptoms do you get w/ this pain? Any numbness? Does the pain radiate? Take a deep breath, is there any pain? Do you get this pain while doing other cardiovascular excercises?

scotty1
04-12-2002, 06:37 AM
3/

For tourneys you need bad ass cardio. Sprinting and jogging are both good, as you need short burst energy, but you also need good endurance. Spar lots. Do whatever makes you feel confident. First tourney? Be aware that the adrenaline will take away your muscles and your brain cells, leaving you like a flailing vegetable fighter. That's waht happened to me anyway.
Full contact tourney? lots of pad / bag work, pads better as the bag is too stationary. Develop mad power. Try to knock your opponent down before he does you.

Spar. Lots, build up your reactions, cause in the fight your thinking is going to go bye - bye.

If its not your first tourney I apologize for being patronizing. But you need that cardio man.:)

Note. I've done 3 tourneys, two locals (did alright) one regional (did ****.) But I've learnt from those experiences, and I'm training for my next one.

PHILBERT
04-12-2002, 06:37 AM
The heart is in the center of the chest, the main arteries are on the left side.

As for pain, it is a stabbing pain, like a knife entering my chest. I get it only when I jog, not when I ride a bike, stair master or whatever. I can do push ups, chin ups, bench, flys or any other exercise and not have a problem. Just jogging that I get the pain. No numbess, just sharp pain.

hkphooey
04-12-2002, 08:16 AM
2) iron is all over this

3) for tourney training, i'd do something like the cycle right before the season in periodization programs..which is basically power training. pretty heavy weights, low reps, 3-5 sets. maybe some plyometrics. lots of skill training on top of that. cardio is great, of course. but the cardio used in a long run isn't derived from the same metabolic pathway than that from a fight. i would suggest interval type training, but..

1) for god's sakes man!! stop running until you have it checked out!! it makes sense to me that your heart rate would be higher during running than anything else you listed. i've worked in cardiology depts before, and many people don't have symptoms until their HR becomes elevated.

training becomes moot if you're lying dead on the side of the road. the only person who's going to notice you're well-defined, V-shaped lats is the medical examiner. go have it checked out, bro.

good luck!

PHILBERT
04-12-2002, 02:14 PM
I am 18 years old and in the best shape I've been in years, I dont understand what could possibly be wrong, but I will see whats up. Besides, I run on a treadmill in a gym.

As for the tourny, I dunno if I will be in it or not, but I went on and stepped up my training early in case I am in it. The majority of the people are gonna be TKD and JuJutsu (since TKD is all over the place in my area. TKD outweighs every school 3 to 1).

Sharky
04-12-2002, 06:12 PM
sure it's not just a stitch?

yu shan
04-12-2002, 06:55 PM
PHILBERT, got Insurance? go have a physical done man, 18 year olds have been known to deep-six, is probably a stitch like Sharky said let`s think positive.

IronFist, you have very good advice on weight training, sounds like you have put some time in my friend, thanks!

PHILBERT
04-12-2002, 11:43 PM
Whats a stitch? I probably know what it is, but the term I dont know.

No_Know
04-14-2002, 12:49 AM
It seems as though you got hit in the chest and something is just a little off. I might say a fracture of a rib near the center. And it cus at a muscle or your lungwhen you have that torso bob or bounce from jogging. If you relax and jump up and down (so that your shoulder set falls and lands after the rest of you. This should make the sam hurt.

A treadmill omits the muscle stresses of lean and pulling yourself forward by your feet~ which would draw upon your upper body muscles, which is where you might be broken~.

PHILBERT
04-14-2002, 10:02 PM
No_Know, I tried that and nothing happened. No pain or anything.

red_fists
04-15-2002, 12:28 AM
Philbert.

Agree, with the others go and get it checked out.

Being young is no guarantee for health.
Heck, I endd up with a stress-related stomach ulcer at age 24 thanks to my work. And I did plenty of sports & ma than aswell.
:mad:

The Body is not as indestructable as you might think.

P.S.: The average Human Body starts the downhill trend at around 17.

red_fists
04-15-2002, 12:31 AM
"Stitch" not sure about the term.

Unless you mean the pain caused by bad breathing pattern felt during jogging and some other aerobic exercises.

No_Know
04-17-2002, 08:05 AM
Does it still hurt when you jog?