PDA

View Full Version : The Chain Whip in Internal Kung Fu?

Fu-Pow
04-11-2002, 01:37 PM
Because Internal Kung Fu uses whole body power as opposed to sectional power like in External Kung Fu it would seem the sectional chain whip would not work well for internal arts. However, it is a fairly common weapon in the External arts has anyone ever seen a Taiji, XingYi or Bagua stylist using one?

Daniel Madar
04-12-2002, 01:36 AM
The whip, not the chain whip, was rather commonly used in the internal arts. The flexibility of the whip is well suited to the transferal of power in the internal arts.

I have been informed, but do not know for certain, that the current chain whip forms are not related to the actual combative methods, so how well suited it is for internal is unknown.

shaolinboxer
04-12-2002, 02:43 PM
The rope dart is the hardest weapon to use, and it requires very precise control of your chi.

The rope dart and whip chain are closely related, the chain being the easier of the two (and it ain't easy).

If you play with the chain, wear something the covers the back of your head, where a lot of aspiring chain masters have cut themselves wide open.

Leimeng
04-14-2002, 12:35 AM
~A few years back I had the pleasure of training for a month or so with a highly skilled BaGuaZhang master. The lineage was Liang Zhen Pu and the guy was in his late 60s. In addition to his BaGua he was also highly skilled in MiQuan (cotton fist). He was also an actor/practioner/performer for BeiJing opera since he was 6 years old. I asked him about some of the exotic weapons in BaGua and he stated that almost any thing in other arts can be used in BaGua. Of course that makes sense. But he did mention that he had tried to use the chain whip with BaGua over many years. He said that 95% of the time he ended up hitting himself in the head with the thing. This was in spite of him having a considerable amount of skill and experiance in MA. He stated that now when people want to learn the chain whip he just teaches them the MiQuan chainwhip stuff. A lot less headaches....
(It does go well with Xing Yi however)

Peace,

Sin Loi

yi beng, kan xue

Ray Pina
04-16-2002, 11:36 AM
My master uses a regular whip with great control. Never seen the chain whip since studying internal.